TKR So THIS is what the "Other Side" feels like!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extension: that hanging the weight on the leg thing, no need for that. The simple exercise I do (see the link below) works just fine.

Car: Are you driving? If not, why not sit in the back? Then you go in butt-first and scoot across the seat.

4 issues: seem perfectly normal to me.

Lack of PT: won't do you any harm IMO, do your own exercises, why not?
 
I had my left knee replaced the week of thanksgiving last year, and I'm on week 12 from my right knee replacement. (Feb 11th). I went back to work on weeks 7 after my first replacement, and week 6 after my second replacement. My last ROMs were taken around week 7 of my 2nd replacement, where they were about the same around 130 flex and 1-2 extension. My last OS appointment, I was told I'm good for a year.

Well, here's my problem, and I'm not sure if it's "normal". When I'm working, I sit in a regular office type seat with feet on the ground. I'm still having pain when I first stand up, and am very stiff when I start walking....sometimes by the time I get home, my ankles and knee (most recent one) still swells some and puts off heat. Is this normal after 12 weeks?

So my main issues are:

1. pain upon standing
2. Stiffness with some pain when walking
3. Sill some swelling (though not terrible)
4. Standing for any length of time in one place
5. Gettin in/out of car is still painful. I actually got "stuck" getting out of a car last week. I didn't have any problems getting in, but I couldn't get the right angle getting out...untill a lot of painful maneuvering and bending in ways it didn't want to bend!!

GOOD THINGS:

1. NO boating night pain (though some discomfort when changing positions)
2. stairs are no longer the enemy!!
3. No more limping.

My happy place is sitting in my recliner, where there is never any pain at all.

Can someone please tell me if I'm at least semi-normal in my recovery, r am I expecting too much too soon? Could my lack of PT Hendering my reovery?

Thanks so much for listening to me!!

Hello!

First of all you are 12 weeks out so yes a lot of what you are experiencing is normal.


1. How long do you sit before standing?
2. Are you icing and elevating especially since swelling is continuing?
3. There will be times that you get into a car, move in bed or something else at this stage that will remind you of your knee. It is still healing on the inside, from all of the surgery. Try to use ice and elevate as much as possible. :)
 
Wow, so good to hear from you! I'm now 4 and 14 weeks, and I have all of the same symptoms! The only thing different is the fact that stairs are still my enemy! I'm hoping the stiffness doesn't last a whole year as I look like an old, old woman when I first get up from sitting! Those first few steps are not pretty, believe me!

I'm impressed that you've gone back to work so soon after knee #2. It sounds like you're doing really, really well and should be very proud of yourself! I'm still "couching it" most days, and I've just started getting out and about a bit other than PT. Each little outing helps, though, and I believe we WILL get our lives back soon!

So, sorry that I don't have any advice for you, but I will be watching for your replies. We are both in the same boat! I am thankful every single day that the surgery part of all of this is OVER, and each day is truly bringing us closer to that life we used to have before these stupid knees gave out on us! Won't it be nice to, one day, not have to think about that part of our body every again! I can't wait! :happydance:
 
I think what you're describing is totally normal. I had my six month check-up and the doc said the stiffness and pain after sitting is normal for a while longer yet. One knee is still slightly warmer yet. He says, think of it as a pregnancy, nine months. For some people it's longer but eventually you won't even think about it.
 
Extension: that hanging the weight on the leg thing, no need for that. The simple exercise I do (see the link below) works just fine.

Car: Are you driving? If not, why not sit in the back? Then you go in butt-first and scoot across the seat.

4 issues: seem perfectly normal to me.

Lack of PT: won't do you any harm IMO, do your own exercises, why not?

Thank you Roy. I can handle it, it's just reassuring it's NORMAL. I was driving after 3 1/2 weeks with my left knee, and waited until 5 weeks with my right knee, because it was more painful getting in/out of car. The car I had an issue with wasn't my own, and it was much lower to the ground. I felt around and couldn't find the lever to push the seat back (i was was by myself in a government car) and it was so frustrating wriggling and ouching until I finally found the right angle to get out of the stupid thing.

Hello!

First of all you are 12 weeks out so yes a lot of what you are experiencing is normal.


1. How long do you sit before standing?
2. Are you icing and elevating especially since swelling is continuing?
3. There will be times that you get into a car, move in bed or something else at this stage that will remind you of your knee. It is still healing on the inside, from all of the surgery. Try to use ice and elevate as much as possible. :)


Thank you! I'm trying to make myself get up at least every hour and walk the halls a bit. I found after the first week back at work, if I sat for too long, my ankles/feet would get really red and swollen. I finally figured out I was sitting in that position with my legs down for too long, and the walking helped. I'm still having a little problem with the swelling, but more with the stiffness when first getting up/walking. I have one of those freezable ice-gel wraps that I keep in the freezer at work with me that I'll put on sometimes during the day, but there really isn't anywhere to actually elevate, though I can prop my foot up on an upside-down trash can and pillow. Gotta work with what I have :) I've been hitting the recliner from the minute I walk through the door after work and get it all elevated and iced....and then usually go to bed early and watch tv with the wedge under my legs. I think I've gotten more money out of that wedge than anything!! I <3 my wedge!!

Wow, so good to hear from you! I'm now 4 and 14 weeks, and I have all of the same symptoms! The only thing different is the fact that stairs are still my enemy! I'm hoping the stiffness doesn't last a whole year as I look like an old, old woman when I first get up from sitting! Those first few steps are not pretty, believe me!

I'm impressed that you've gone back to work so soon after knee #2. It sounds like you're doing really, really well and should be very proud of yourself! I'm still "couching it" most days, and I've just started getting out and about a bit other than PT. Each little outing helps, though, and I believe we WILL get our lives back soon!

So, sorry that I don't have any advice for you, but I will be watching for your replies. We are both in the same boat! I am thankful every single day that the surgery part of all of this is OVER, and each day is truly bringing us closer to that life we used to have before these stupid knees gave out on us! Won't it be nice to, one day, not have to think about that part of our body every again! I can't wait! :happydance:

Hi Dewey! Just a friendly note is nice without advise! :) I was running out of sick leave, which is why I went back to work at 6 weeks with my second knee, otherwise I wish I could have stretched both leaves around 9 weeks. I really did find though that the more (after about 3 weeks of surgery) I puttered around, the better I felt. The first couple of times I tried puttering around the house, I'd feel like passing out....not from PAIN, but from sheer exhaustion, I'd get so shakey and break out in a cold sweat. I made myself get myself moving sooner with my 2nd surgery and didn't get that feeling like I did with the first.

Thank you all for your replies, I feel a lot better knowing that what I'm feeling is normal. Sometimes I feel like my boss is thinking, "If you're good enough to come back to work, you just need to get over it", like I'm trying to "milk" my pain. I just wish for ONE day he'd be in my shoes and see what it feels like getting up and ready and working 8 hours a day. Thank you all for your support, I had forgotten what a wonderful group you all are!
 
I'm a few weeks ahead of you and I still have stiffness issues. Anytime I change position after a long time it takes a few movements before it feels ok again. If I sit too long, getting up does it. If I lay too long, bending it does it. I have a 30 minute drive to work so every day I get to work and have to step out of the car slowly and hold on while I take about 2-3 steps before the knee kicks in and remembers what it is supposed to do again. Same thing when I wake in the morning to get out of bed. Walking doesn't make it stiff or really swell too much anymore but it still gets achy if I am walking too much(hours at a time like when I shop all day long). Also, I notice that often times when I take a step, especially on uneven ground, I will hyperextend the knee and that sends a pain up and then will cause swelling problems. I haven't iced in a long time but I do still elevate a lot. I am giving it the 1 year mark for my hope to wake up and not think about it.
 
Kel! Great to hear from you. Glad you are well on the road to recovery and normalcy - and you are! If you are at 130 and 1-2 degrees - celebrate. Excellent ROM & extension. Someone on here recently commented they were still gaining ROM at 19 months.
Re: pain after sitting - I also sit too long. My PT keeps telling me to set a timer and get up and move around at least every hour. You are correct - sitting for extended times means the blood isn't circulating, and when the blood isn't circulating, swelling results. I guess there was a reason they kept telling us to do those ankle pumps in the hospital! At least do those. I am a couple weeks ahead of you and I am still a bit stiff when I get up from sitting - the good news is it is getting a lot better and now rarely happens.
I too had trouble standing in place for any length of time - and that too has recently gotten much better. We are healing and will be for some time. Each day you should be able to celebrate something which has become a bit easier!
You are doing awesome. Each week you should be able to add one more thing to that "good" list.
 
That is the trouble with being at work, once people see you there - the expectation is that all is back to normal and you need to be over yourself. I went back at 7 weeks and did 3d/wk for 4 wks just to help with adjustment and finish OP PT but the feeling was get all your work done anyways. I was trying to make sure I have enough time for my second knee this fall. You are doing great though.
 
I had a BTKR, and I was stiff for months---like five months! It took me quite some time to lose the stiffness---it did go away gradually, but I still had a slight little pesky limp at five months.

It was not until about eight months that I felt pretty close to normal---say 90%-95%.

I would get ump in the morning and feel great---and then the stiffness would slowly creep in to my knees.

Remember---ROM can be attained upwards to a year post-surgery---and beyond. I also commiserate with you getting in and out of the car---I had similar issues, too---again, I had to learn to be patient.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom