THR So many ups and downs<

Very good news @MobiM. Having time with family and cuddle time with grand kids is great healing time.
You'll get there. . .it may take some time and lots of patience, but you'll get there. You've got a group of cheer leaders here at Bone Smart who will be encouraging you on every step of the way.

Big wishes for a New Year with many more successes for you in 2018! :yes!::flwrysmile:
 
Why is it I have one “good” day followed by a week of bad days? Went out in the car yesterday. Managed an hour and a half. But last night, and moreso today, am in agony. My buttocks and SI joints are so painful that even lying down is torture. I just begin to believe there’s progress and it all falls apart. I’m supposed to go get a blood test, but can’t if I can’t go out in the car. Heaven help me if I have a toothache or need to see a dr at his surgery! It seems my “progress” is really only the degree with which I can handle pain. I can’t see the pain ever going away. Feeling very down.
 
Aww, @MobiM I'm so sorry you're feeling more pain today and consequently a bit depressed.
Is it possible you overdid it? You haven't felt strong enough to get in much activity lately and a 90 minute outing may have been too much. Consider icing if you're not already. It may help.

If you need a blood test for diagnostic purposes. I'd find a way to get there.
Best wishes you get some quality rest overnight and that all looks brighter in the morning.
Sending a hug :console2:
 
I'm so so sorry you are feeling down. Do you put a heating pad on behind and lower back when sitting. It comforts mine some...
I am praying things will ease some.
When will you go back to Orthopedic?
Hoping you have some peace today.
Not being able to rest only adds to our anxiety and frustration, I know.
Much sympathy:console2:
 
Last edited:
Sorry for the set back @MobiM. The length of the ride may have been a bit much. Perhaps heat will help it some. It sounded like you tolerated Christmas very well. I know when I start feeling better it’s very easy for me to overdo it. Hope you get some relief.
 
Don't forget that, while you were able to sit longer for Christmas, it's different when you're being jostled and have bounced and having to work harder to maintain balance when you're riding in a car. Just like with sitting at home and other activities, start with shorter rides and build up as tolerated. Unless a trip is necessary, like going in for a test, Manage the length so that it doesn't set you back. I hope you're feeling better!

:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
I'm wondering @MobiM, if you have a cushion like I do with the cutout in the back so your coxic bone fits in the cutout? Before surgery, it sure helped me to be able to sit. I took it with me every where because I couldn't tolerate most chairs. . .any chairs, in fact.

I am so sorry to hear in your entries how much pain you are in but I agree with the others that I'll bet you expected too much from yourself in taking such a long ride. I am also wondering where you went and what you did there. Did you drive? Did you ever get out to rest after a bit? I still have to stop and get out every hour to walk around and take a bit of a rest. I'm just asking because I also agree with @SaraK, that you have to take these things much more slowly than you are. I know you are impatient. I understand the feeling because so am I. But we have to be realistic; this will take time.

Please try to be more easy on yourself. Take things slowly. It isn't going to happen all in one car trip. And pushing yourself will only exacerbate the pain as you already know.

So sorry for the back slide. I know how disappointing it is. Take a deep breath. You didn't get to that Christmas day with the grandchildren without work and endurance. You are strong; you can do this. We all know you can.

Hoping for better days ahead of you. Let yourself rest and then go at it again. . .but slowly. Bitty steps not huge leaps! Thinking of you.
 
Thanks for the support as always. I wish I COULD find a way to get the blood test, but will have to wait until I’m able. The instability in my back and especially my SI joints is what bothers me the most. The fear of the SI joint or facet joint...or whatever it is...popping in and out is ever-present - the pain when this happens is like being shot and causes more instability. The hip, I believe, is not nearly as problematic as this other spot. I get very scared when I think they are unrelated and that the healing of my hip won’t mend this other problem. Therin lies my greatest source of anxiety.

Unfortunately, heat makes my pain worse so I stick with ice, although lately even the ice can sometimes bring on muscle spasms.

I used to always have a coccyx pillow on my car seat, as well as two cushions behind my lumbar back. But since this instability began on the right lower back, I am not able to sit on anything soft as it makes the unstable bit pull apart. I still use the cushions behind my back, though.

I try not to be impatient but I am aware that the longer I lie about getting no exercise, the worse things will get. It’s such a fine line between over- and under-doing.

@zinnia thanks! It’s good to know I’m not alone when it comes to this struggle and impatience.

Wishing you all a year of happiness and healing! I will keep plugging away...and try to keep hope alive.
 
Oh @MobiM I'm so sorry to read that you are still struggling and in so much pain. Are you able to get to see your surgeon or a doctor so that you can ascertain if there I anything that can be done to help?
I hope it eases soon :flwrysmile:
 
Oh, @MobiM, you are so kind not to mention my poor rendition of coccyx. I was hoping for spell check to kick in but apparently it didn't remember either.

I can hear the pain in your entries. I wish I had some answers for you. Was thinking the same as @Jackie222. Does your surgeon not have any solution to this problem with the SI joints? You mention a number of different doctors but one that you specially trust and you were hoping to get him back on your case? Have you had any luck with that. I couldn't find in your thread whether you have or not.

I am hoping that you can find some help and thus some reduction of the pain and some sense that you are moving forward because it seems to me that you are spinning your wheels in this morass of pain and I really hate it for you.

Stay with us. There is comfort here. :flwrysmile:
 
@MobiM So sorry that your joints are causing you so much pain. I agree with all the good people here that family is the best therapy. I could not host the holidays this year so I invited the family over on December 26 and we order pizzas. It was a very non-traditional no stress holiday meal and we used paper plates so no clean up required. Grandchildren are the best therapy. Hugs and prayers that you feel better soon.

Diana
 
Hi @MobiM
I'm sorry you continue to suffer so. I'm trying to understand
your main issue. Has whatever is causing you pain and lack of mobility ever been diagnosed?
I'm not completely understanding what pops out.
I wish you could find a way to the doctor for a sound diagnosis if you don't have one and also for the blood test you mentioned.
Prayers for answers and healing!
 
My husband insists that I will get better when my hip heals. It keeps me hoping...he may be right. My osteopath and physio say everything is related...thus the label “complex pelvic pain”. As to my OS, he was very skeptical about the hip replacement fixing the disability, but my other specialist believed that everything was “hip driven” and the hip needed to be fixed in order to get the rest working. But he is currently out of action so I really have no current go to doctor until he is reinstated. In any case, I haven’t been able to ride in the car, sit in a waiting room and/or walk from car to a doctor’s surgery for many months. That hasn’t changed. For the five previous years I’ve been unable to sit long enough to go to appointments, so I would have to use ambulance transport. However, in the past year, the allodynia...or hypersensitivity in my back...has made lying on an ambulance stretcher impossible. Getting to the hospital in an ambulance to get this thr was the most horrendous torture I’ve ever experienced. So basically I’m up a creek without paddle unless miracle of miracles my hip mends and helps the rest of my pain.
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone! Trying to stay positive. I read an article about recovery and it said short term recovery could be six months long term many more, depending on the individual. So I’m going to believe in that and the power of positive thinking. :loveshwr:

I have a three questions, though. If anyone can help, I’d really appreciate it.:

1. I have a pinching sensation in my hip when I walk (still using elbow crutches lightly like ski poles). The pinching isn’t continual...happens unexpectedly maybe every five or six steps. I’m not sure, but it seems to happen if I turn my operated side foot out a bit. Is this something I should be concerned with? I’m wondering if it has to do with the gluteus medius repair, or if it’s the hip itself.

2. I’m still on 1000mg paracetemol + 50mg tramadol every 6 hours. I’m 13 weeks (in 2 days) post op. Is this okay? I have tried cutting out the tramadol for a day, but after walking, I am in pain in my back and hip and have had to go back on. Occasionally I still have to take 100mg tramadol in a dose.

3. How long does it usually take for the leg numbness to go away? Mine is still numb from the top crease of my leg down to about three inches above my knee - all on the side of my leg - with some numbness drifting over to the front. Oddly, it doesn’t seem as numb around the incision.

Thanks for any help! I hope you are all progressing really well and seeing improvements every day.
 
Good for you staying positive @mobi. I am not certain on all of your questions, but with the pinching feeling, you say it happens when you turn your foot out. Try to concentrate on heel to toe keeping foot straight in front of you, that is how we are supposed to walk and you could just be getting used to it going back to normal.

The need for pain medication is really individual. Given your total picture with the length of time you were immobile, it may be what you need. Since you have those scripts I assume your doc is in agreement it may be needed. It seems that you are monitoring your use.

I still have a numb spot at the top of my leg. Perhaps others have move experience with a pattern like yours.

It sounds like you are up and walking some and that is terrific. Is sitting any better?
 
@MammaT thanks for the heel to toe info. I'll try to do that. I'm hoping it's just a temp thing.

My GP has tried many pain meds on me over the past five+ years, but none really helped. I can sort of tolerate tramadol, so he was happy to prescribe it. And since we aren't sure if my original pain problem will be any better once the hip is okay, he's happy to see me find anything that might help. But for me, I just don't like the idea of using it if it doesn't help enough to warrant the side effects. Plus I am forever trying to determine if this is still all surgery pain or the other pain still not fixed.

Yes, I've tried doing approximately 80 meter walks once per day. Have done two of them today. The second one was when the pinching grabbed me. As to the sitting, no, it's still very difficult for very long. Mostly my back and right SI joint. Same as before surgery.

I had a feeling the numbness would take a long time to resolve, although a friend who had a THR after mine has no numbness. I was just wondering if it would ever go away. It's not bothersome, just a bit annoying.

I'll keep plugging away. Really hoping I can get to be able to ride in the car again. Fingers crossed.
 
Oh @MobiM that is wonderful. You are walking about half a mile at a time (I have to convert to see it!). I think that is great progress for a person who was bed bound. It sounds like you will be able to sort it out in the near future. While the sitting is difficult for very long, it sounds like you can do it for short periods-which is also improvement from where you were.

Keep taking it slow. You don’t have to have both walks the same length and remember, walking to bath and kitchen (your around the house stuff) counts as valuable exercise.

Some people have the numbness, others don’t. Seems like it can take awhile and some spots may not leave. A year and a half later, I still have a spot-if that is worst side effect, I’ll take it!

Have a good day, slow and steady, don’t overdo!
 
Trying to stay positive. I read an article about recovery and it said short term recovery could be six months long term many more, depending on the individual. So I’m going to believe in that and the power of positive thinking.
Glad you are staying positive @MobiM.
You are so inspiring to me and others...12 weeks really still really days...hard not to get weary of the pain.
We are rooting for you.:wave:
 
Hi @MobiM
What a wonderful update to read! Your positivity shines through. Feeling positive is a great motivator.
I'm glad you found whatever it is you read as it served a duel purpose. It offered you re-assurance and motivated you through gaining a more hopeful outlook.

This is a journey. It takes time. Some of us more time than others. But with consistent work I think you'll get there. Take baby steps, learn your limitations and build on that weekly.
Try not to get discouraged when suffering a set back.

Consider touching base with your OS in regard to pain management. You would get the best advice from a professional in that regard.

You may want Jo's opinion on the pinching sensation you feel on ocassion. If it continues to bother you, consider tagging Josephine so she can put up the graph that pin points the area of discomfort you're questioning.

Check out this article again if you haven't lately. It puts a lot into perspective.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/healing-how-long-does-it-take.5424/

Best wishes you continue to feel positive, Mobi. I hope you have a great Sunday!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom