THR So many ups and downs<

So sorry for you @MobiM
You've been longsuffering. Prayers for strength and continued healing.
A great weekend to you :flwrysmile:
 
Sorry for the late reply, @Layla! Thank you so much for the support. Everyone here is so very supportive.:)
 
Well, I’m eight weeks today post rthr. Yesterday I was feeling more positive. I’ve been trying to do the forward, side to side, backward walking in my pool — only two across width of pool each — every day as well as walk a short way towards my driveway. Yesterday I wanted to try just using one crutch while walking on land which I did (for the few times I was up). I was feeling ok. Until the evening. Then the pain hit with a vengeance. I swear the pain was worse than I’d had since surgery. Ice didn’t help, lying on my back was excruciating. I’d taken my tramadol and paracetemol but no help. The pain encompassed my entire hip, right buttock and right SI joint. I even had pain in my left SI joint. Today it’s still very bad, though I still did my pool walking this morning. I couldn’t do any other walking, though, and was having a hard enough time with two crutches let alone trying one again. I’ve even taken a double tramadol, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference. So now I’m once again feeling very discouraged and as though I’m just not making ANY progress. Has anyone else had this happen at eight weeks post?
 
Sometimes you can do the same thing you've always done and still have a bad day. You might have done something slightly differently. Just because you were in the water doesn't mean you can't strain a muscle. Just moving to one crutch changes your posture and gait and can cause things to hurt. Consider a day or two of rest (ie no water walking even) and see if things get better. With me, if it doesn't hurt at the time but hurts in the evening or next morning, it means I overdid it and need to dial back (and feeling a bit that way myself tonight). Get better so that you can get better!:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks so much, @SaraK. I expect it may have been a combination of everything. I’d never walked with just one crutch - and can find NO one here who is still as backward as me in terms of making progress. My husband still has to do everything for me. I can’t walk much at all without a huge flair up. Still can’t sit or stand for more than a few minutes. I just want to see some improvement! And wish I knew for sure if this is all hip related. I am definitely taking a couple days off walking to the driveway and back. And will stick with both crutches. But have been using them for SO long I am really sick of them. You are very early days if your thr was Dec 2! No wonder you’re feeling it, too. I hope you feel good really soon. Thanks heaps for your support. :loveshwr:
 
Oh @MobiM, I feel your frustration and pain. Please don’t judge yourself based on others. A surgery date is only one gauge of where a person “should” be. You had a much longer period of immobility prior to your surgery than most people. Common sense tells us that will impact recovery. Take the rest advice. Don’t try to have a large increase on the days you feel good go for smaller increases. When you try a change, like moving to one crutch, do it one time a day for a few days and slowly increase times.

Hope you get some relief from that pain today.
 
I certainly can understand your frustration...I'm ready for you to get good too.
You were so immobile for such a long time before surgery, I'm hoping, as I am sure you are too, that it is just going to take extra time.
Certainly if you continue feeling extreme pain that doesn't seem to have a legitimate cause, I would be tempted to check with my OS to make sure no obvious problem?
Praying for a Good Day for you.
 
@MammaT I think you’re right. One crutch just once or twice per day is a good idea. @Mojo333 thanks. Yes, I am SO ready to be free. I think lying on my back on the bed for most of the day and all night is making my muscles and joints even worse. But there’s not much else I can do. But, nothing stays the same forever. I’d love to be able to sit for a bit by Christmas so I can visit with my family. Fingers crossed.

I want to wish everone here a very merry Christmas. I hope 2018 brings us all good health and joy. :santawave::box::tree2;:merryx:
 
:fingersx: for you too, and I hope you continue to improve.
Do try to be patient, I know it seemed like a long time but only two months out.
Love and Christmas hugs...:santa hug:I love the hugging Santa so much, lol.
 
Last edited:
Sincere prayers @MobiM that you're able to sit and enjoy some time with your family at Christmas.
Healing wishes for 2018!
 
Nine weeks nearly ten and still using two crutches and unable to walk far without stirring things up badly. I’m beginning to lose hope of ever being mobile again. Sitting is still an ordeal I can only tolerate for a few minutes. Sometimes I think that because it was five years of immobility, my muscles and joints are permanently damaged.
 
There is no doubt they are damaged, but maybe not permanently. You are now tolerating a few minute of sitting-how long is a few? Are you still trying one crutch a couple of times a day. I found after a bit just standing with a cane helped me stand up right better ( I had to really concentrate on posture). Have you contacted doctor office lately? I recall you saying it was a trek for you to get there. Is it possible to get home pt to help with evaluation?

Please don’t give up!
 
I just finished reading your post. I’m so sorry for your problems. It sounds like to me when you do get up and get some exercise you do to much. Then you pay for it and it sets you back. I know you’ve been immobile for a long time. And I certainly can’t blame you for being anxious.it will take a while to strengthen yourself. But in my mind it will take baby steps and taking care not to overdo it. You don’t want to be crazy sore after a workout.
My heart goes out to you. And your in my prayers
 
Hi @MobiM
I feel your frustration and it's understandable. I can't imagine your muscles and joints are permanently
damaged. You were immobile for so long that it's probably going to take longer to heal and move forward.
I'm sure on most days your efforts feel like an exercise in futility. I think this journey of yours deserves equal parts of patience, determination and effort. It's not been that long Mobi, don't give into the temptation of feeling hopeless. Success stories abound here. Do what you can do each day....possibly with only slight increases every few days. Consistency may be key? You know we are all rooting for you. Many praying too. Chin up...it's still very early days considering all you've been through. Wishing you a day of comfort and peace!
 
I found the article interesting as well. I agree with MammaT that returning to normal activities as you can is the best medicine.

I also thought while reading that it called out for Bone Smart as a recovery guide. And an important part of the plan for recovery is to get the pain under control.

To say, as the article does, that there didn't seem to be any difference between the before and after surgery seems ridiculous to me. I've read many of the threads on this site and the relief from pain which allows for a return to the daily living we all wish for is immense.

I hope you get relief soon so you can get a level of rest that allows you to relax into your recovery. Best wishes to you.
 
Some days I feel like I’m worse than before the surgery....definitely no better. It was the same after the hip arthroscopy 2 years before the replacement. It made things worse despite the surgeon “cleaning things up in the hip”. But some days I feel hopeful, too.

The article basically made it sound as though hips NEED specific PT or gym exercises to get back to “normal”, which is the opposite philosophy to this forum - where “Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance.” Personally, I believe the philosophy of this forum makes much more sense - and that those who overdo can wind up with more problems down the road. But that article did make me wonder. It’s confusing when doctors, surgeons and physiotherapists bombard you with dire warnings about not doing structured daily exercises. But it makes ultimate sense to me that you don’t exercise a traumatised limb until and unless it’s healed. But for me, I know my muscles are not very supportive and complain loudly and continuously when put through paces they haven’t done for five years. Pain pills don’t help that sort of pain. For instance. This morning I got in the pool, did my four laps paddling with my arms for upper body, then did the pool walking - sideways, backwards and frontwards. After the pool, I went for a walk (with my crutches) about 60 meters. A bit further than usual. Why? Because my hip since yesterday has been doing this weird pinching pain occasionally if I walk or turn it. So that’s me - try to walk it out. The walk was good...the worst was my upper back muscles complaining about the crutches! Lol! Now, though, back on my back on the bed, my buttock and lower back muscles are painful and cramping.

@MammaT, I tried using one crutch out to the pool, but may have to see about that as again, my upper back muscles seemed to be strained. My surgeon has told me from the start that my recovery will take several months...IF the replacement is the answer. My physio when I last saw him said I was progressing, albeit slowly. But now the home PT is over so I’m not certain I’m still progressing. As to sitting, I was able to sit in the car, though with a lot of pain in what I assume was my right SI joint or facet joint, up until about 8/9 months before surgery. At that time, the painful spot popped out and put me flat on my back. Since then, I’ve developed hypersensitivity in my lower back, and find sitting or lying on any hard surface agonising. So, no. the sitting is no better than prior to surgery.
 
Last edited:
Silly question I know, but are you sure crutches are at right height? If you have them on same level as before surgery, maybe an adjustment is in order? And @MobiM- did you read what you did today? When is the last time you did that much physical activity? Don’t try to up it tons, just a bit. Are you icing your back after moving around? The muscles are going to cramp. What do you think would happen if you did a few days of just two laps with the walking. Maybe the four is a bit much for you right now. The paddle works your shoulders and back. How many minutes can you sit in chair now? Hope you have a good whatever time it is in Australia!
 
I’ve been using the crutches for the past five years at this height. But maybe I’ll try them lower - or consider a cane.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom