THR So many ups and downs<

Thanks @MammaT! It’s so hard to know what’s “best”. All of my lower body muscles are weak from lack of use for so long, so part of me knows I will be sore everywhere anyway just getting them working again - and not just surgery pain. My core muscles really need strengthening as do my back, leg and glute muscles. But today I felt I was doing a little better - especially hip-wise. I did a tiny bit of walking front, side and backwards (as PT suggested) in the pool. Also went for a very, very short walk - tho further than usual. But am now having low back pain. Not surprising I suppose. It’ll be a long, slow journey.
 
Good news about the walking increase. With my recovery, the pt had me increase walking outside by one driveway (I live in a suburban neighborhood, houses not real far apart). I live in the middle of the block and it took me a week to make it to the end. As that improved the strength came back. It took time to loose that strength so it will take time to get it back. Just have an ice pack ready for after those walks. Hope today goes well.
 
Early days still...coming back from so much.
We are rooting :yay:for you
 
I bought a contraption this time around but last time I used an ice bag with a screw top and a 6 inch ace bandage. Cut slots along the middle of the ace (parallel with the edges) for the screw top to poke thru. The ice and the compression helped.
 
Felt I was improving today. Did the pool and pool walks and exercises standing and a short walk. I live in the country. No sidewalks here and no concrete. It would be a city block from my house to the end of our dirt driveway.

Tonight, tho, I stood without support to brush my teeth, then bent slightly to pick up my hair brush and bam! That spot right of my lower back went. It was all I could do to make it back to the bed. I swear that if not for that “popping out spot” as I call it, I’d be dancing. It’s what was wrong before the surgery. Huge sigh!
 
Last edited:
Aaawwww...hate that back still giving you fits.
One thing at a time. They need to look at it again I'm thinking.
Great for the progress you ARE making though.
Hope it's all stiff that just needs more time and strengthening.
:praying:
 
I think the unfortunate thing is that we can have multiple issues at once. I know that pop! I use bridges and pelvic presses on floor to help mine when it acts up but it may be too soon for you with hip. Like mojo said-one issue at a time.
 
Hi @MobiM I think minus being weak in spots that's normal that you're doing well. I bet.... I bet I'd be in the pool 24 7 if I could I am so jealous

In answer to your sweet post in my thread NO I am not from AU never been ...my um dog however is an Australian Shepherd / Shepard mix thus lol my name. Many people think I'm am Aussie. I know where Niles is .... I am not but 80 miles from there.... I am semi close to Marshall :martini:
 
@MyAussieGirl thanks for your reply! Hope you’re feeling better? Yes, Marshall isn’t far from where I grew up. I miss Lake Mich and Warren Dunes. Even miss snow...sometimes. Especially at Christmas. Lol about my Australian error. I love Australian Shepherds. My brother in East Lansing has one. We breed labradors for SEDA (Seeing Eye Dogs Australia) so have a lot of love for all dogs. Hope all goes well with you. It was great reading your posts.
 
@MammaT oh how I’d love to be able to get on the floor and do bridges etc. Unfortunately, when this thing goes, it becomes so unstable that the slightest thing will pop it out again - and the pain when it goes is unbearable. Thus my anxiety. I am very down about it going out because I was hoping the hip would fix that. I feel like the hip replacement now was a waste. We’ll see. Someone said this recovery is one step forward, two steps back! Sure feels that way at the moment. Thanks heaps for your support.
 
@MobiM - keep your head up and keep moving forward. Sometimes we have to take things one step at a time. While the hip replacement may not have fixed the problem with your back, it has probably moved you a step closer to being able to fix it.
 
@MobiM hi there. You have made strides since I last checked in. You may not see them but they are there - tiny steps. Shame about the back giving you problems. Maybe hold the place it pops next time you have to bend I found that helps with mine. Don't think your new hip is a waste of time it will get better and will last a lifetime and probably help with the back as well. So facinating breeding seeing eye dogs it must be a wonderful thing to do. I used to show dogs , do agility and obedience. Also all my dogs were PAT dogs working with special needs children. Unfortunately those days are over but I still have one black idiot - he's two years old and has cabin fever as I can't walk him far. We have a huge garden but no he wants to be with me trying to get me to play!!!! Keep smiling am sure you will get there. Small victories every day. Then you can worry about the back. Hugs Carol.
 
@MobiM I don’t think hip is a waste- it is just part of you moving forward. I know the fear of the pop, but mine can pop when I do nothing! Perhaps a pt could show you approach. Also butt squeezes when sitting on firm chair may help.
 
@SaraK thanks. I find it difficult to think positive when it’s been four years of immobility. Prior to that I power walked several miles and swam 50 laps daily. I’m SO frustrated that no one can find anything concrete wrong! I HATE being so darn dependent on my husband. I also hate not being in charge, not being able to go see my kids or grandkids who are only 15 minutes away. I hate my bed, my bedroom...so sick of my house. Would give anything to get on our tractor and slash the paddocks as I used to. I wish I could feel more hopeful, but it’s so hard when nothing seems to have changed in the last four (nearly five) years except that now I have to contend with this surgery, too. Ok, I just needed to vent. Sorry.

@Cas so your fur baby is a labrador, too? Lovely that you did the agility etc. and PAT. Wonderful cause. Ours if they don’t graduate as Seeing Eye Dogs go as companion dogs for the disabled. Unfortunately we haven’t had a litter in over a year because of my disability. I miss the pups. We have four of our own girls and have another six adult dogs coming to stay over Christmas. Great for the dogs as they get the run of our farm and plenty of socialising. My breeders website is: www.jamareinelabradors.com if you’re interested. And yes, funny how dogs won’t play without us.

@MammaT yes! That’s the scary part that the popping out just happens for no particular reason. And unfortunately for me, when it goes, it sets me back three days to a week flat on my back. Very frustrating. I’ll definitely try your suggestions. The sensitivity makes sitting and riding in the car impossible. Even lying down is terribly painful...despite the pain meds. But I do believe that things change - never stay the same, so I am trying to see this as a temporary situation. I received my pedometer today. It clips on my waistband. Maybe if I see how many steps I do each day it will give me proof of improvement.

Thank you everyone for putting up with my whinging and whining. You are all SO encouraging. Hugs!!
 
Yes hugs :console2:and flowers :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:@MobiM - this is one step along the journey, not the end. Once the hip is dealt with, they'll be able to better isolate and deal with the back. The biggest step was getting someone to acknowledge that you had a legitimate right to "whinge and whine"
 
Whine all you want...just don't get mired in it...stress not good for your immune system.
Good old country girl...I'm jealous.
I'm an air force brat spending the last half of my life transforming into country girl as sister married into local farm family.
So sorry you are struggling.
Please know we are rooting for you.:friends:
 
I think trying to walk slowly, for short period, regularly (like every hour or two) helps my back more than constant laying. No big goals on total steps-just work on getting some. I did the over 10,000 daily thing up until two months prior to lthr and it seemed like it took forever to get back to a mile! Now I get what I get, although 7,000 seems to be my average with work etc. hitting the ten more regularly but right hip is now limiting somewhat. I am just trying to hit balanc that keeps good side comfortable without overly aggravating bad. You will get there!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom