THR So many ups and downs<

Hi @MobiM-I think you are doing great. Also, can't help but notice that you are in my age bracket. As much as I hate to admit it, I may not bounce back as quickly as someone who is 20 or even 10 years younger than me. Give yourself time and focus on how much you are doing now that you weren't before. Don't compare yourself to others--be the best you you can be at this minute.
 
Ok, today’s post/questions:
I am at exactly 6 weeks post RTHR today. My lower back and buttocks (both sides) have been killing me lying on the bed, but I can’t roll onto my left side because the pain over that hip bone is, and always has been, worse than my right. My intestines are a mess, and seem to be exacerbated by the hip - or is the hip exacerbated by the guts? The ice doesn’t seem to give the relief it used to. Am still on 1000 paracetemol every 6 hours, but I don’t feel a lot of relief.

I am exhausted by bed time, but the light goes out and I simply cannot sleep. Last night I didn’t sleep at all, and it wasn’t because of the hip. I just feel terribly restless, and start having hot flushes every ten minutes or so. If I do manage to doze, I have what I call “twilight sleep” - seems to be all frontal lobe or right behind my eyes and flashing dreams like I’m half awake. The past two weeks I may get five or six hours broken sleep two nights in a row, then have another night or two with no sleep. Needless to say, I’m exhausted. Can’t nap during the day because of pain in my back, buttocks, hip and intestines.

I’ve also been having crazy mood swings: Felt SO angry and resentful yesterday, like I wanted to throw something. Then the day before I had a ball of tears in my lower abdomen. At one point, I started crying and simply couldn’t stop. I even had a laughing attack - that wasn’t really pleasant. Is all this what anyone would call “normal” for this stage?

On a better note, I’ve been desperate to be able to get back into our pool. It gives me an option for when the pain is too bad. I did so this morning. Was a bit scared as we have no rails and I have to get down on the brickwork, legs in the water onto a step about a foot under water, then a second step even further down. I did it, though, without too much trouble. Even did 2 laps of upper body paddle (head out, upright, not using legs just shoulders and arms). Getting out I had to get on my knees and stand from there. Managed ok, but the drying and dressing were tougher. Then crutches back to my bedroom and the dreaded getting onto the bed that takes several tries and really stirs up my hip but have been feeling a lot of pain in my lower back, guts and hip since this morning - even before the pool.

So, are the emotional swings and insomnia part of all this? And the cold and hot flushes? And the burning lower back and buttocks? Thanks everyone.
 
Oh, @MobiM sorry to hear about your struggles. Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you, but maybe a flower will help a little? :flwrysmile:
 
@MobiM Hi am sorry you're having such a rough time. Yes the mood swings come with the territory I'm afraid. The blues were worst for me. Crying for no reason then feeling really down. It's a reaction to all you've been through. The pain in buttocks is also par for the course so don't worry you are not alone and it can last for a while. Don't despair they do get better. Insommnia was also a problem for me - At one point I thought I was turning into a night owl LOL! Eventually you will find you get more sleep and feel better. Lower back pain can be an issue as well. If you can imagine what your body went through being pulled, manipulated and tugged around then it stands to reason why we get all these weird pains in different places. Get as much rest as you can. Even dozing during the day can help towards recovery. Is there nothing else the doctor can try to give you more pain relief? This would help enourmously. hope today is better for you. Carol
 
Our bodies do get messed up from surgery. Some of the medications we take can cause our intestines to go crazy. I ate lots of fresh fruit and veggies (and of course took stool softners) to help with that issue. If sleeping in bed doesn't work, do you have a different place you can sit? I remember nights moving from bed, to lift chair, to couch until I found a comfortable spot. I didn't use crutches much after surgery (I did before) but relied on walker and cane for help walking. Maybe you could switch out the walking aid you use to see if that helps reposition back when moving? Hope you get some rest today--nap when you can.
 
You are a brave lady....I imagine the lack of rest has alot to do with the "I'm going crazy" feeling.
You were bedridden for months before this surgery and have many issues to deal with. This recovery, as you knew, would not be easy. But you are doing this...slowly and painfully but YOU ARE doing this.
Wish I could fast forward you to a better day, but if you need to opine whilst you struggle...you see you have a fan club behind you!!
Wishing you sooner relief. Try to giver yourself some credit for the little things...:angel:
 
My lower back and buttocks (both sides) have been killing me lying on the bed but I can’t roll onto my left side because the pain over that hip bone is, and always has been, worse than my right
Perhaps you could indicate the site of these sore/painful spots using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] So many ups and downs<


Am still on 1000 paracetemol every 6 hours, but I don’t feel a lot of relief.
Then you need something else as well. Codeine might be a good idea. 30-60mg 4 times a day.
I’ve also been having crazy mood swings: Felt SO angry and resentful yesterday
Perfectly normal Don't let it get you down.
I’ve been desperate to be able to get back into our pool.
I wouldn't recommend it yet. You'll risk dislocating your hip.
 
@Josephine I have never been able to tolerate codeine, unfortunately, and can’t get over to see my dr as sitting in the car is agony on my lower back and buttocks.

The buttock burning seems often to be all over my buttocks, but possibly more at R2B R through T. Lower back burning and pain is L2B to R2B R. Sometimes I get a feeling like there’s a large rock under me..right now it’s on the cross line between R3B & R2B R/S. (I hope that makes sense?)

SO glad to hear the mood swings are normal. Feel like I’m going nuts.

I’ve done the pool relatively easily. I have been getting on my stomach for about a week just so my husband can lightly distract the nerves in my lower back and buttock when it gets too painful to lie on. So getting into the pool seemed easier. My surgeon said it was ok and I am very careful not to do anything that hurts my hip. Thank you.

Thank you to everyone who has replied! Your support is so helpful.
 
Last edited:
Don't know about the medical end of it, but my for years off and on has gotten tight in that back area you describe. It usually just takes time for it to relax. Also, have you noticed you have mentioned a couple of things that have gotten easier--like getting into the pool. Also, you can turn on stomach for a period of time. I think those things are progress. It helps me to focus on what is getting better. It is a slow process sometimes, but each positive means we are moving in the right direction-our body just doesn't always go at the speed that our brains want it to.
 
I have never been able to tolerate codeine
That's a shame but you do need something more. Clearly Tylenol alone is inadequate.


[Bonesmart.org] So many ups and downs<

The buttock burning seems often to be all over my buttocks, but possibly more at R2B R through T.
The red spot. I would imagine that to be a sacro-iliac issue
Lower back burning and pain is L2B to R2B R.
The blue spot. That's definitely low back pain
These back pain issues are nothing to do with your hip and the best thing I can recommend is chiropractic treatment.

Sometimes I get a feeling like there’s a large rock under me..right now it’s on the cross line between R3B & R2B R/S.
The green spot. But I really don't get this one. You say this makes you feel like there's a large rock under you - but that's high up on your back, near the blue spot which I have identified as low back pain. Are you sure you have the right references?
 
@Josephine it’s the other side where the red and blue intersect...the R3B & R2B line crossing the R/S line.

Yes, I thought it was my SIJ too. Prior to surgery, my specialist had done several scans of my SIJs (both sides) and I’ve had at least ten cortisone injections in them over the years that haven’t helped. Diagnostic only. My doc thought ALL the pain was “hip driven”. I wonder if the gluteus medius tear could be affecting that SIJ since that muscle joins in there?

@MammaT yes, you’re right. Certain things ARE easier. I must focus on those. Thank you for the reminder!
 
Morning - at least it is here! We have a good covering of snow this am with more forecast. My daughter rang from work to ORDER me not to go out today! Roles are reversing LOL!

Am hoping you are feeling a bit better and the dreaded blues are getting better. Back pain is horrendous I know but thankfully I can take co-codamol 30/1000. It takes the edge off so I can function.

Although long walks with the dog is still a no-no. I really feel for you not being able to take pain medication and wish I could offer suggestions. The only thing I could think of was acupuncture for the back. Don't know what Josephine would think of it? Have you tried it?

I tried a chiropractor and it did help a bit but was too expensive to keep going. Will be putting up my 1 year update soon on my site it might help?? Have waited till I get to see my surgeon in Dec and will be 1 year and 1 month out!!!!!

You are doing well. I don't think I would have managed a pool like you have done. All small achievements but they ARE progress. Keep at it we are all here for you as long as you need us. Love C.
 
We ARE all rooting for you. Listening for answers about SIJ also add I believe that I have some issues in that department.
But all so much better since hips have had time to get better.
It's slow..but I also think you've come far from where you were. Early days still.
Hope you have a Good Day.:SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
 
Agree with @mojo, while hips did not completely cure back, it did help. Will be interested to see if improvement continues when second hip is done. I have some basic exercises I do for back which help, just laying flat and presses to floor, etc, but don't know about doing them early days. Keep focusing on your progress!
 
Thanks everyone! You guys are great! @Cas did I tell you that I’m from Michigan originally? Born and raised and lived there for over 30 years. I came to Australia to meet my mom’s side of the family - she was an Aussie war bride....my dad met her while on leave when fighting in New Guinea. I never expected to meet my husband here and stay. But yes, I know all about the perils of snow and ice! Am so glad I don’t have to contend with that here. I just ordered a step counter, too. Thanks for that suggestion. It won’t count my steps in the pool, tho. And the PT wants me to do front walking, side stepping and backward walking in the pool.

@Mojo333 It’s more the sensitivity issue with my back, although the biggest probs aside from pain is the instability in my back and SIJs. SOMEthing around my right SIJ pops out and feels like a disc going, but not in the right place. If it pops, I go down and am in agony for days. Scans, naturally, show nothing. I am an “interesting patient”. Am also really sick of hearing docs and physios say how great it is that the scans show nothing. I haven’t been bedridden because of hypochondria. I pray that you and @MammaT are right and things in those areas improve. I have seen three chiropractors in my life and every time they’ve messed me up so badly I was in misery for weeks. I do see an osteopath regularly who is trained in regular osteopathy as well as biodynamic/cranial osteopathy.

As to pain meds, the pain was so bad yesterday I decided to try the tramadol again. So took a 50mg with my two paracetemol last night at 10:30 pm, then the same at 4:30 am. When I woke for the second, though, I was drenched and it seemed difficult to breathe. Had a puff of asthma inhalers (that I haven’t needed for several years!) then sat in a chair for a while. Just needed to be upright. Managed to finally get back into bed, but that was the end for sleep. Then this morning I took the esomeprazole for the guts and instead of the regular tramadol, I took a slow release tramadol 50mg. Just hoping the breathing probs are not related to the meds. But as @Josephine said, I need SOMEthing for the pain. Have tried accupuncture, but no luck.


I apologise for not commenting on others’ posts. I’m still having a bit of trouble finding my way around.
 
Last edited:
You're doing fine. You are only 6 weeks from surgery. Once the trauma from the hip gets better, and you gain more mobility, it will be easier to figure out the rest. Your doc could be right that it is primarily from the hips, but more time may be needed. While you can drive to the doctor, could you call and talk to them and explain the pain? Would it be possible for your husband to pick up a prescription (if they can't send it to the pharmacy there?) There are alternatives to codeine.
 
MobiM, you are always more than welcome to tag me any time you need but please, please don't make my name a tag when you've just used it in the general course of conversation. I already get a couple of dozen tags a day so it's quite annoying when I get to the thread and find the poster didn't actually tag me for something. Thank you.
 
So sorry, Josephine! I wasn’t thinking when I tagged you there.
 
I found it an interesting read. My take away is that the best way is to return to normal activities. I think workouts/exercise is good but I don’t want back full tilt until healing is moving along. I went back to stationary bike awhile after surgery. I do walking, light weights for arm strength and mild yoga stretches. I find that my strength came back as my body was ready to move.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom