Guest viewing is limited

THR So many ups and downs<

@MobiM hi there. Sorry I've been a bit busy at home and no time to check in here. So sorry you're feeling so down. I know we expect to be able to walk miles after surgery but it doesn't work that way! Can't remember what I was doing at a month out but will check to see. The pool sounds wonderful though. Are you in pain floating in the water? Hang in there, I know it's hard and you have so much else to contend with. Try not to worry too much about walking far - it will come eventually. All I can send is support and hugs - I am no medical expert but hopefully Josephine can help you with that. Remember when you're really down there's always someone on here that will listen so keep posting. Love Carol
 
@Cas you are so very kind! And thank you for the support. It's been SO long since I have been able to walk or sit or stand without pain that it's doubly difficult when I want so much for this thr to be the solution. And hard not to get really down and anxious that it may not be. But it really helps to hear people say not to worry about walking far or doing a lot.

I am not yet allowed or able to get in my pool since surgery. The surgeon said not until six weeks. I know at the moment I might be able to somehow get in, but wouldn't be able to get out as we have no rails. But hoping at six weeks I will be more flexible.

Thanks again. Hugs to you!
 
Last edited:
2. Today I’d say a 7 or 8, but not just hip. This includes back pain and the dreaded allodynia, as well as intestinal pain from meds and anxiety/tension makes all the pain worse.
That's not unexpected at 4 weeks out.
oxycodone 5mg twice a day/5 mg one four times a day as required - So which are you taking? twice daily or 4 times daily? With pains cores such as you have described I think 4 times a day is warrented.
Naloxone 2.5mg twice per day - Naloxone is the antidote to an oxycodone overdose!

Tramadol 50 mg SR 100mg twice daily with Tramadol Sandoz 50mg when needed. So three days ago I switched to Tramadol Sandoz SR 100mg twice daily with Tramadol Sandoz 50mg when needed and paracetamol 1000mg every six hours. Again, which are you taking? I've no idea what Sandoz means.

I'd suggest you took Tramadol and paracetamol on this schedule

[Bonesmart.org] So many ups and downs<


When I first started the Tramadol SR I mistakenly took it every six hours as I didn’t realise it was slow release. My GP straightened that out and said no harm done.
I would imagine so.
I am also sceptical about continuing the slow release Tramadol because my blood pressure plummeted
I don't blame you.
4. Yes. I ice my hip at least three to five times per day for up to an hour depending on how the ice feels.
Jolly good!
5. I have had to have a bolster under my knees whenever I lie on my back since my spinal surgery. Since I can only lie on my back, I virtually have the pillow under my knees all the time, except when I’m up.
Okay
6. My activity level is very low as I was bedridden before the surgery for so long.
Allodynia we tend to call Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS or RSD).
7. I was unable to walk far enough to go into shops and the pain prevented me from home duties. I would go out in the car as a passenger for about two hours daily, but had to stay in the car. It was very painful to sit and I was in agony by the time we’d get home. Six months ago it got worse and I was virtually bedridden except for bathroom and pool.Walking to and from the bathroom, occasionally further. I did a 60 meter walk a week ago, trying to walk “normally” (i.e. no limp) but it was too much and I was in awful pain for the next three days.
I'd suggest you don't even try this. It's far too soon. Do go back and read the articles Jaycey left you in post #5.
PT comes to my home once per week.
I'd cancel his visits! You don't need them.
He showed me standing exercises but have only done one set which left me in so much pain I stopped - so hardly worth mentioning (I will list if you want?)
Exactly so. I don't need the list now but this was enough to tell me that you don't need any exercises whatsoever.

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
@Josephine thank you SO much! You have made me feel a lot less worried about my progress. I just wish I could understand and treat the CRPS. Do you know if it will go away once I’m more mobile? I will try the tramadol schedule. My nervous system is so messed up. The PT comes, tells me what to do and I generally ignore it once he’s gone. So at least I don’t have to feel too badly about that.

As to the meds, the chemist says Sandoz means generic brand here apparently. I tried taking the 50mg Tramadol SR last night but felt sick and nervous all night - same as the 100mg Tramodol SR. So I am currently only taking the 1000mg paracetemol every 6 hours and Tramadol 50mg when I feel too much pain.

I really appreciate your input.❤️❤️
 
Last edited:
Hope today is a better day!:SUNsmile:
 
I just wish I could understand and treat the CRPS. Do you know if it will go away once I’m more mobile?
Did you read the article I left you? It almost sounds as if you didn't.
 
@Josephine, you’re right! Terribly sorry. I didn’t see that there was a link. Not sure how I missed it. I’ve read it. Thanks so much. There’s hope.

I was also reading your story and noticed you also had nausea for a while, as well as anxiety. I’ve started the Tramadol regimen you posted, but am not sleeping because of feeling sick. The nerves are a mess, too.

Can you tell me if you took anything for the nausea?

I may have to cut back to one Tramadol 50mg every 6 hours as my colon/intestines are really not happy.
 
Yes I had an anxiety attack at 6 weeks after the first knee but that was as a result of a long term depression/anxiety state which was mostly kept below the horizon but any stress brought it to the surface.
Don't recall any nausea but it might have been related to that. Having had a/depressants previously, I steadfastly refused medication on that occasion and coped with it using self-hypnosis and relaxation.

Very occasionally a person can get one of the less common side effects of Tramadol which is nausea but I didn't.
 
@MobiM Hi there. Sorry you are still having probs with the nerves and anxiety. I know what you mean about not being able to walk far. I was unable to walk far for 3-4 years before surgery and thought it would be so wonderful to walk miles! My hip is wonderful now but I have also got a bad back.

Been for MRI and get the results in Dec. It has meant that I am still unable to walk far but hopefully they will sort my back out. Don't give up and try to stop worrying. I know it's hard but all will work out if you just give it time and take each day as it comes. In a few months time you will look back and see how far you've come. All best wishes and hugs - Carol
 
@Cas I’m sorry for the late reply. I lost internet for quite a few days. I want to thank you for sharing your info with me.

It’s hard not to worry after being bed ridden for so long then finding myself back in the same position again. I’m finding if I walk too fa r... i.e.more than 30 meters or so ... I suffer terribly afterwards with burning in my lower back, buttocks, surgery hip and even tingling in my toes. I don’t know if this is a result of not having used the muscles for so long, or if it’s indeed, still the hip referring pain. I want to do more, but the burning and pain after is pretty unbearable.

I will be six weeks post surgery on Tuesday. I was so hoping to at least be better able to tolerate sitting by then, but perhaps the muscles in my back and buttocks are just too far gone. I really appreciate your insight. I wish I could travel in order to SEE another doctor, but atm I’m unable. Time and hope is what I am counting on. Thanks again.
 
I know you are ready for things to hurry up some, but oh my stars...6 weeks of recovery and you were BEDRIDDEN for months and pretty much debilitated for four years. I know this is hard but you ARE progressing. Not without struggles, but so so early out for you considering how infirmed you had become.
Baby steps, but you are brave and it is going to take a bit.
I'm praying for health and patience for you. Don't get discouraged:angel:
 
Thanks @Mojo333. I know you’re right. But this past week I feel as tho every day I wake up and feel I’m getting worse instead of better. It’s very scary and disheartening and I just wish I knew what I should be doing. It doesn’t help that I’ve had to stop all pain meds except paracetemol and ice. Everything else messes me up badly. Lying on the bed all day doesn’t make me better, that’s for sure. But seems everything stirs me up.
 
Get up a little....walk a little...stretch a little.
I know it's hard but it's going to be OK.
I put the good Mojo on you.
Cabin fever will get you but know you have folks on your side.
 
Lying on the bed all day doesn’t make me better, that’s for sure.
You have the wrong mindset here, petal! When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered pro-actively designed, heuristically programmed, dynamically structured recovery programme'.
 
I love Jo...don't you?
 
@Mojo333 thank you!!!❤️

@Josephine, you are a godsend - thank you for the reminder! (Although it’s been many moons since I was called petal! Lol! :loll:) If I could believe that the hip would answer the problem that’s kept me immobile for so long, I’d be much more inclined to follow the ‘heuristically programmed’ recovery, but I feel worse than before, and that keeps me in a state of constant nervousness. Also, I’m often in a lot of pain just lying on the bed. Walking, standing, showers, sitting - all are more painful than when I first came home. I feel it’s a catch-22 because ALL my lower body joints and muscles are nothing but mush. And after so long flat on my back in pain prior to surgery, I can’t stop wondering how much longer. So...I try. Fail. Try. Fail. Catastrophise. Despair. Imagine life like this forever. You get the picture. BIG incentive for me to keep trying. A vicious cycle.

This hasn’t helped. This is my specialist who has stuck with me and vowed we’d find the answer to my problem after spinal surgeons, hip specialists and pain management doctors wrote me off:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/cl...e/news-story/a77a4c4d84161965408e5779c0c9295f

I am praying he will get a fair hearing and be reinstated because he’s one of the kindest and most intuitive doctors I’ve ever known.
 
Last edited:
@MobiM Morning my aussie friend. You are stressing yourself too much. 6 weeks is soooo early in your recovery. I was ages doing anything much at all and felt I'd never get better. It WILL get easier I promise. All those muscles and joints have been inactive for so long they are now complaining cos they have to start working again LOL. Take baby steps. One more step each day not meteres!!!! My daughter got me a fitbit - just basic. It showed me how many steps I'd done each day and if I managed more than 5 more every day I was ecstatic:loveshwr:. Maybe one would help you to see some progression. Keep looking forward and try not to worry so. We all have your back on here and know how difficult it can be to keep positive at times. :friends:hugs Carol
 
@carol, thanks so much for telling me your experience! That does help. I might just consider the step counter. I guess I was reading the THR activity article where it says:
“Weeks 6 and 7
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

Activity: ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after, wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, not you!!”

And I felt awful because I can’t even ride in the car at all because of pain (back and hip) and certainly couldn’t make it into a shop. Ironing, washing, meal prep....wouldn’t be able to get myself a cup of tea atm. I know my recovery will have to be slow, but I just SO crave to know if I WILL recover (regain my mobility) and that the THR isn’t just another failed shot in the dark for me after so many other experiments. It’s very hard to be patient when it’s not just surgery recovery you’re concerned with, but whether the surgery will help/be the answer to the long standing problem. Even my hip surgeon was skeptical. My hip/back specialist said it was a first step. But again, yes, I need to concentrate on the hip recovery first as best I can. And it really helps to know others have had a long, slow journey but still made it. So thank you. ❤️
 
@MobiM Hi there . I too fell into the activity you should be doing but not everyone is the same. They are for guidance only so that you don't overdo things! Your hip will recover at it's own pace and there's no use trying to hurry it along. Josephine and Jacey soon put me right LOL - they are great. Am so sorry that you are in so much pain and for so long. It will get better and hopefully as the hip heals the other things will start to get better too. Keep smiling if you can and keep posting. I will try to come on a bit more reg to catch up with how you're doing. Love C.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom