THR So many ups and downs<

I'm so hoping you have a Good good Day tomorrow.
You've come back from so much.
I'm proud you still stick around and keep us in the loop.
Happy Mother's Day:) :-) (:
 
What a lovely Mothers Day sentiment in your last post, Mobi
If I didn't like you so much I'd steal it :heehee:
This holiday can be difficult to traverse, especially here, when you can't recall off the top
of your head all those who have children. Leave it to a writer (you) to cover all bases.
Happy Mothers Day to you, dear Mobi!
@MobiM
 
Hi @MobiM
How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a bit.
I'm wondering if you're still doing your walks....I hope so.
Leave us an update when you're able. Would love to hear how you're doing these days.
Hugs
 
@Layla, I swear you can read my mind. I just now came in to post and saw yours. Thanks for caring.

To be honest, I’ve had a lot of tears and feelings of hopelessness. While I am meeting my walking goals plus more every day, I am still spending more time than not lying on the bed. I still have to use the hiking sticks to walk, though for short trips (ie to the bathroom etc) I can do without them. I am also not taking any regular pain meds. This isn’t because I’m not in pain, but because nothing really helps the pain enough. And the pain that is the worst is the back sensitivity. Nothing helps that, and lying on the bed has become it’s own torture.

My nerves are a mess. I try to go out in the car, but the muscle over (attached to?) my coccyx, as well as the coccyx area, is unbearably painful to sit for any length of time it takes my breath away. Coccyx pillows don’t help. I will still try a short trip in the car, but the coccyx and lower back area throbs for hours after and is sensitive to sit on at all for the rest of the day.

It gives me no sense of accomplishment when I walk further or do a little something new because it still hurts. I have yet to walk and feel comfortable doing so.

The worst, though, is having no way to EVER feel comfortable - the sensitivty on my back - simple clothing elastic that feels like barbed wire - makes me a nervous wreck.

It’s hard to believe I’ll ever not be in pain or be able to feel I have a life.

My last bout in hospital five weeks ago with a perianal abscess that required surgery, then turned into a cellulitis infection two days after coming home, knocked me around quite a bit. And it sure didn’t help my sitting woes.

Sorry this is a real downer, but I’m nearly 8 months post THR and cannot find any way to feel comfortable - except when/if I sleep. I still can’t travel far enough due to pain to see my GP, my dentist, my optometrist, my children...anyone.

Has anyone else had this problem 8 months post?
 
Mobi, I'm so very sorry for your longsuffering, tears and feelings of hopelessness. Please don't be discouraged until you've exhausted all options. When I look back at the photo of you out walking, you look so happy! It's encouraging to read you're still able to continue with that exercise. There's no shame in using the hiking sticks for your walks. If it assists in you meeting your goals then I'd continue using them without giving it any thought for now.

I can't even imagine not ever feeling comfortable. It has to be physically and emotionally draining. You need help to get past these hurdles and I don't know how you'll get it if you can't withstand a car ride to the doctor. Wasn't he visiting you at home for a time? Is he still willing to make house calls? If so, I'd consider scheduling one. Maybe if you could start knocking down some of these appointments you wouldn't feel as overwhelmed. Would you be able to meet a goal by scheduling the dentist or optometrist and muddling through somehow? Would it be much more uncomfortable than sitting or lying around at home? You don't have to answer this question but I'm wondering if agoraphobia has a place in all of this....I'm praying for you, Mobi. Praying you get the help you need to move forward in life. Please stay in touch. Many lovely people here who care.
Sending love and a warm hug your way.....
@MobiM
 
Hi @MobiM
Once again I'm in catch-up mode and read sadly that you are going through a rough patch.
My heart goes out to you! Hugs and more hugs!

I am feeling the desperation in your post and am so glad you posted.
8 months and you HAVE made improvements but when you continue to have severe back and nerve pain,
the hip recovery can take second place. I feel at 8 months now you should take another look
on the rest of the pain sources.

It is that way for me. My actual hip replacement joint is coming along fairly well :fingersx: if slower than I expected. But the rest of the pain girdle? Not so good. My second hip replacement is June 22 as it is clear I cannot move forward in recovery with that hip holding things up. This is such a journey, agree?

I do agree with Layla though about getting to the docs who can help you. Whatever it takes to do it.
Maybe a new pain specialist? Find one who is good! Did you say you had spine surgery? Maybe revisit that DR?
I know you like your current Dr, maybe he has new ideas?
Again I am going to share my moms story of laying in the back of the van to get anywhere. And if you need meds to make the ride -- so be it. Can you rent a small RV in your area? They have beds.

Ask your Dr about prolotherapy. Maybe you've already had it, but I'm throwing it out as consideration.
4 years ago I went though two courses of plasma rich protein ( PRP ) Prolotherapy. You can google it.
40+ injections into most of the tendon attachments from my waist down to my big toes and soles of feet.
Both legs. One month later - did it again. Chickened out for the final course.
It wasn't covered by insurance and it was expensive and make-you-throw- up painful. Many docs do not do it to this degree but as bad as it was, it helped!
I had had a different doc before who only did SI joint and it didnt help. He was not experienced in the technique.
It was a last resort for me because I was told to have spine surgery and both hips replaced.
The prolotherapy helped me. Gave me three years. Three functional and mostly pain free years.
I was able to finish my house build and move my family to our farm. It helped alleviate most of my nerve pain in my left foot and lessened my R sciatic nerve issues.
And if I would have behaved like a normal lady it would have probably solved more!

I feel I would be remiss to not suggest another look into medication that may help alleviate your nerve conditions. I know you have real intolerance to some and I agree that it must be thoughtfully considered,
however please discuss with your drs. Did you ever try a course of gabapentin?
It seems your back is against the wall on this pain/nerve issue and you must get to your docs to get resolution.

As far as agoraphobia goes; I have it. I am functional without medication now, but I will tell you, pain and the subsequent anxiety that can come from unrelenting pain can make my tolerance worse.
I look at medication and natural remedies as tools, to get me the help I need to function; to the point I don't need them any more.

Only wanting the best for you and praying you can find your way to some answers with your doctors.
 
Thanks ladies. No, I am far from having agoraphobia. But I do know my limitations. You see, my pain is not “just” pain, if that makes sense. It is, at it’s worst, instability in some very vital joints that can/will “pop out/in” (like rolling an ankle) and send me to the floor. Both my SIJs and a disk will do this - with no prior warning. If they do, the pain is such that I’ve literally had to crawl to the phone to call my husband for help.

If it were just a matter of teeth gritting to see my GP, dentist, etc, I would not hesitate, but it’s much more than that. I can no longer lie on “hard” surfaces. I used to use ambulance transport to get to appointments, but when the sensitivity set in, I could no longer tolerate lying on a stretcher. Lying on a dentist’s chair would be excrutiating. Sitting in a waiting room after a drive in the car would simply be too much.

Yes, my specialist doc has come and is still helping me when he can. His belief is that the sensitivity will go once I’m not having to lie flat for so long. He is working to manually try to free up some extremely tight muscles/tendons.

As to meds, I won’t take them if they don’t work. And I can’t take many due to severe side effects anyway - though I’ve yet to find a med that helped this sort of pain. I have spent a lot of time, pain, money and frustration on so-called “pain management”. It was a waste and a horrific experience from start to finish. I have come close to reporting one pain management doc to the Medical Board for things he did to me. I won’t ever go that route again.

Yes, I’ve heard that prolotherapy is helpful for many things, BeBe. But again, there is no specific area I can point to that is THE spot. And again, I am currently immobile so PRP is not possible atm even if I thought it were viable. My dr believes the hypomobility (tightness) in my left SIJ combined with the hypermobility (looseness) in my right is pulling my pelvis out of whack - including the sacrum/coccyx and those muscles. He has always been certain I have SIJ dysfunction, but believes it was predicated by the hip. Thus the replacement was needed before we could hope make any progress on the other areas.

I am doing heaps better in most areas if I look at the big picture. Just need to convince myself that the pain will ease as the progress increases.

I will persevere. Sorry to dump yesterday. I was just feeling sad and frustrated.

Thanks for your input. Hugs to all.
 
Hello @MobilM I can certainly sympathise with you.

I had a LTHR in December 2014 following a fall breaking my femur cleanly through at the neck.and recovered well from it. Then in October had a slip on sloping cobblestone and twisted my knee, 10 days later I was in agony and tripped up the one step to our living room using a walker. Frozen on the floor ambulance to ER, X-rays of hip, knee and ankle. Told no fractures to go home, ice, rest and paracetamol. Three weeks later no better back to ER, X-rays of knee and ankle. Said to have a CAT, appointment 17 December.

Car accident on way to pre-ops ER for first, got MRSA in second, three hospitals later I was in private,

Fast forward, patella necrosis, osteoporosis, stem slipped 5cm into femur, three fractures in trochanter and fracture in top of acetablum. Surgeon said he would not do knee and hip same time so had knee done 29 March. I see Surgeon on 27 June and hopefully get Revision date.

In the meantime I cannot exercise knee due to hip fractures and LLD. II cannot sit upright for more than 20 minutes due to hip. I cannot get comfortable at all and get little sleep. Due to an ice skating accident in the late 60s I have a crushed coccyx so cannot lie on anything hard and X-ray tables are a nightmare. Over the last couple of years I have lost 50lbs so have no backside to buffer me. I basically loll in bed an do leg exercises as I have muscle atrophy.

The good news is that I have just been given the all for breast cancer (5 years this October). Mammogram done transferred from wheelchair to special chair and assistance onto padded table for ultrasound.

I hope you find relief soon. xx
 
@Izabel omg! I cannot believe you have endured so much! You are the first person to understand about the hard surfaces. Two days after my THR they took me down to xray and had to put me not only on the xray table, but had to slide the metal square under my lower back. I was in so much pain I was screaming for them to hurry. I also had to be taken in to hospital in an ambulance because I couldn’t sit. It was a 2.5 hour ride. The pain of the stretcher was absolutely unbearable. Not only was the stretcher like a rock, the steel rod where it bends went directly across my lower back. I was in tears the entire trip and praying out loud that I’d make it. They have their protocols and even though I was begging to be allowed to sit and put my legs over the side of the stretcher, they couldn’t unless they pulled off the road and stopped. And that was not possible.

You have definitely been through an horrific time. I am praying that you will find some solid assistance and answers. Hang in there and never give up. Thanks so much for sharing. I feel like a whimp after hearing of your ordeal. Hugs to you!
 
@MobiM Thank you for your kind words ... but to the contrary I feel that you have endured and still endure far more than me. Also, I know what my problems are whereas you are still in limbo.

I know when I have my appointment I will have to be X-rayed again ... which I am dreading already having to lie on my coccyx bone and then turning onto my fractured side, and that metal slide! The tech girlies are great and comforting with my tears, bless them. When I broke my femur I was wheeled into X-ray on a padded gurney and had all my winter clothes on. I have my clothes on now but why can't they put a cushion/padding under us? I think I shall ask next time.

I will follow your progress and send ... beijinhos e abracos para tu! (that's kisses and hugs) ... xxx
 
Last edited:
Hi @MobiM
It looks like you've found someone who understands your pain firsthand. I can't imagine it and my heart goes out to you and Izabel. You both have been through a lot. I'm happy to hear you aren't suffering from agoraphobia in addition. I know that it's common and wondered only because it can be brought on by situations that cause you to feel trapped or helpless etc. I'm guessing you have experienced a myriad of emotions when you've suffered through ambulance rides, tried to sit in a waiting room or while lying on a dentists chair. Thankfully this isn't coming into play in addition to everything else you're suffering.

It's good to hear your doctor is still visiting. I wish he were able to do it on a regular basis to get you the relief you deserve. It's wonderful you feel as though you are doing a lot better and that pain will decrease
as progress is made.

Please don't apologize for dumping and feeling both sad and frustrated. I don't know who wouldnt feel that way given the circumstances. Just know we're here for you Mobi. Prayers continue that you soon find relief from your pain.
 
though I was begging to be allowed to sit and put my legs over the side of the stretcher, they couldn’t unless they pulled off the road and stopped. And that was not possible.

Did you know those stretchers have straps on both sides where the paramedics/transport officers can pull the knees up so your back is at a better angle? They won’t do it unless you ask/insist. I found out after refusing to be put on a stretcher to an appt because it caused back pain and leg spasms...the ONLY PTO ever, raised my knees and the light dawned that the others could do that for everyone but just can’t be bothered. At that stage my mother was going to hospital 3 days a week for dialysis and she had 3 fractures in her spine and used to be in tears with the pain...I insisted that they bent her knees up and surprise! very little pain. Such a small thing to do to make life more bearable.

Have you considered an implantable pain management device just to tide you over the worst?
 
@Izabel you are kind. Yes, the not knowing does get to me - it makes me question what’s real and doubt myself. But I’m a pretty stubborn, tough cookie and will push through the hardest things if I think it will get me going. This has been a horror in that respect because mind over matter just doesn’t work - except in pushing myself to walk further despite problems. Isn’t there anything they can do about your crushed coccyx? I’ve heard they can remove the coccyx if necessary. But not sure if that’s possible for you. I love the Portuguese language! Please do stay in touch. I hope you are able to manage the xray. Up until a year and a half ago, I had NO sensitivity issues. I could ride in the ambulance comfortably, be comfy lying on most any surface and even having tests...and I had plenty - multipe MRIs/injections/CT scans/xrays/nuclear bone scans/osteopathic and other alternative treatments - all were fine and relatively comfortable as long as I was flat. This sensitiivity came on suddenly. My belief is that the unrelenting pain in my SI joints and pelvis finally took it’s toll and my nerves said “We’ve had enough”. But to have elastic from underwear feel like barbed wire to lie on - I never thought anything like that could happen. You are lucky that the hospital workers are sympathetic to your pain. Most I have had to deal with simply don’t understand and figure if a paracetemol won’t help, and there’s no definitive diagnosis, it must be all in my head. I haven’t been able to lie on either hip for years, so lying on my back with my knees over a pillow is the only position I can handle.

@Layla I understand about the agoraphobia thoughts. And of course, I do get emotional - often terribly anxious - but only about pain and not being able to cope in situations I need to face when I’m able. I’ve tried getting to my GP (over a half hour drive, so over an hour riding in the car round trip). But had to turn back. Atm, I can stand the sitting pain for about a half hour before it becomes unbearable. To see him, it entails not just the long car trip but sitting again in a waiting room for up to an hour. Add to that having to lie on his exam table...you can understand it is not simply “fear” that keeps me from trying it. It is knowing that, atm, I am not yet able to do all of that. This is the same for my dentist - who, I might add, died suddenly of cancer at an early age just recently. I could go to the same clinic, but it is a good 45 minute drive from our house - then the waiting room, the walk, and a longer “initial exam” with a new dentist, then the return trip. My optometrist is also at least 40 minutes away and deep in a shopping mall which would require a long walk through to the center of the mall, more waiting room, enduring the chair, choosing frames by “shopping” for them - and believe me, standing still is much more painful than walking! - then the long walk back to the car (assuming we found a parking place anywhere near the door) then the horrific car ride back home. I know I am not ready for that. No amount of “stubborn grit” would get me through all of that yet.

My specialist doc is coming tomorrow do some deep muscle/tendon work. He is certain the coccyx pain is caused by tight muscles, but says it will take several intensive workouts on the guilty areas before we might see some improvement. He has worked for over twenty years for elite sports teams here and in England so he definitely knows his joints, muscles and tendons. I just wish I could see improvement faster. It seems to have slowed down.

@Gidget thanks for your info re the ambulance. No, they never offered to do that. I did take my own pillow that I put under my knees all the time, but it didn’t help as the steel rod went directly across my lower back. I’m so glad you were able to get your mom comfy, though.

On another topic, I wonder if anyone else has developed a huge mass of varicose veins in the calf of their operated hip leg? I have never had varicose veins. This is a direct result of the surgery and it looks quite ugly - all red and lumpy on that calf. :scare:

I hope to have better news eventually. But grrr! I’m not getting any younger and have SO many places I still want to go.

Happy Queen’s Birthday long weekend for next week, if you live in Oz.

Thank you all for your input. Nothing stays the same. I will make progress one way or the other! :loll:
 
I hope I’m permitted to do this...

Could you be experiencing this?

One of my friends brothers suffered from this in one of his legs. It was awful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning all. Thunderstorms expected today ... and I feel it in my knee!

@MobiM I have been transported in two types of ambulance, the square van type and the smaller car estate looking type. Both are bumpy rides! :yikes: I remember 'slight' padding and straps top and bottom, no metal rods. I have to lie with my left knee slightly bent. I had them loosen the lower belt so I could bend my knee. One of paramedics knows about coccyx bone problems as she had hers operated on ... and does not recommend it! I went down to 115lbs (from 165lbs) which I haven't been since my teens and my Physio told me I had to gain some weight back, at least 15lbs ... extra weight would pad my now boney backside for comfort.
I had spider veins for years, but the leg muscle exercises seem to have made them go away. :happydance:
We will get there albeit perhaps slowly, for me at least. :friends:
 
I feel for you, dear Mobi. Truly I do. It's like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place, unable to get
the consistent treatment you need to move forward. I hope you find some relief after your specialist doc visits and does the deep muscle tendon work. Let us know how it goes. Hopefully you're able to continue your walks also. We're here for you, Mobi. Lots of people here who truly care.
Hope your day is peaceful!
@MobiM
 
Oh yes, and I sat/lay on my hands in the ambulance but I only had a 30 minute journey.
 
Hugs Mobi.
Wish I could figure something for you that would help.:friends:
 
@Gidget I don’t think mine is CRPS - there are too many discrepancies between its symptoms and mine. Believe me, I’ve researched everything in the hopes of an answer. Nothing “really” fits.

@Izabel we have two types of stretchers here, but both are unbearable. One is just a bit more padded than the other. But I can’t even lie without pain on a nicely padded dental chair or exam table. I’ve presented my situation to the ambulance company, but they have nothing else to offer, they say. So I guess I’ll just have to hope that I won’t ever require another.

Yes, that’s a lot of weight you’ve lost - and even though my weight hasn’t dropped, my dr says my glutes are wasted, so my “padding” isn’t the best, either. My coccyx pain, he says, is coming from the tight hip flexors on the left and transferring to the muscle that runs to the coccyx. So not the actual coccyx itself. Whatever. I just want it fixed. Didn’t have it prior to the thr.

Yes, we will get there. But geez, I would really like a good run at it! Seems I just start to move forward and something happens to mess me up. Like yesterday. Just drying myself after my shower, twisted slightly and pulled a @#! muscle or something in my back. Was up all night in pain and today it’s very painful to move. But...I still got in our pool this morning (11* C - ice water), and managed to go out briefly in the car and do a medium length walk. Am paying for it now, as that pulled muscle didn’t like any of it. But I refuse to give up or give in. I keep having to remind myself that this will take a lot of time given my length of immobility. It’s not just about my hip, unfortunately. ALL my muscles and joints are unused to working properly. So it’s easy to create more joint/muscle injuries if I go too fast. But I get so frustrated! :tantrum2:

@Layla my doc came last Friday and did some work. I haven’t noticed a huge change, but he wants to go slow so as not to stir things up. Will maybe come again this Wednesday. But I’m concerned that the tightness I’m feeling in my left hip and muscles is pointing to needing a new hip on that side, too. And honestly, I could not handle going through another surgery.

I will persevere, but I’m not getting any younger and these old bones are telling me I’m not in my 20’s anymore. :old:

Hugs to all!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom