THR So many ups and downs<

@Layla thank you for your lovely post. You are so kind and supportive! @BeBe I greatly appreciate your post!

My update: I have been plugging along. I am walking approximately 3000 - 4000 steps per day according to my FitBit. I am still having to use my hiking poles. I wonder if I’ll ever feel comfortable enough to walk without something.

I have walked to the mailboxes a couple times since the last time, but that uphill coming back is still terribly painful, so I’ve started walking the opposite direction on our deadend dirt road. It’s the same distance, but a flatter surface. I walk to the end. I’ve done that about three or four times. I also have another long walk I use where I walk to the bottom of our back paddock (rugged and uphill coming back), then across the back fenceline to the side fenceline and back up to the other side of our house. A couple times I’ve kept going up past the house to our smaller front paddock - to the front fenceline then across to the other side then back to the middle where the gate is and across our yard to the house. (Haha! I need a map for you all!). The long walks average anywhere from 1000 to 1600 steps. About a half mile. I usually do one long walk per day and at least two smaller ones.

But the pain is still there. And the feeling of joint instability in my SI joints and lower back. I am also still unable to ride in the car or sit without a lot of pain.

My doctor/specialist came today. He said I am moving much better and the pain is to be expected. He also did some PT release work on my left leg. That leg seems very stiff in the thigh when I walk. He said it’s all to do with getting the right muscle/joint balance. He also said the pain in my right operated hip (the outside of the hip, where I feel pain the most) would still be from the tendon repair there. So that’s a relief. Was worried something was wrong.

He will continue to work with me to try to get the muscles looser and working more easily. I am so fortunate to have him. I think I am a challenge to him. He said his goal is to be able to take me to see a Richmond Tigers football game. They are the team I barrack for, and he used to be their team doctor and is a lifetime member of the club. I can’t imagine doing that at this stage. Time will tell.

Well, I did natter on, eh?

BeBe did you do the mailboxes walk? If so, please tell me how you went! My first time I thought I wouldn’t make it back. It does sound as though you and I are going through similar challenges. Keep me posted!

And thank you both. I haven’t updated because I still can’t say everything’s great and still doubt my progress. I am very upset that travel is still impossible for me. If I could somehow get on top of that I would be one happy camper.

Hugs to you both!:good-bad:
 
Still rooting AND praying for you also Mobi.
Glad you are still persevering albeit much more slowly then you'd like, and that I'd like for you.
Will also be happy when you be can travel easier.
I'm thinking of getting a donut type cushion for long car rides as still not comfortable for my lower back/SI joint.
We ARE better than before:ok:
Hope your week is sweet!
 
Thank you for your kind words @MobiM
I think it's wonderful you're able to get in 3000-4000 steps. It's progress.
One long walk per day, then two shorter ones is great! Your determination is paying off.
I'm sure you will eventually be able to walk unassisted.

It sounds like you had a nice visit with your specialist today.
He sounds very supportive, helpful and reassuring. It's great to hear he will continue to work with you.
Prayers that travel or the ability to sit comfortably in the car comes soon for you.

Thank you so much for the update. Please stay in touch. Through ups and downs we'll be here for you.
Hugs!
 
@MobiM
Bless your heart! You are hiking! Even have the poles to prove it! I have pastures and horses and know all about fence line terrain. That you are tackling the uneven ground and doing several walks per day is amazing to me.
I have been out to my barn a couple of times but it is difficult going, since that driveway isn't put in yet.
I know we can tend to look at things as a glass 1/2 empty and not 1/2 FULL, but honey You are filling that cup!
You're not spending days and hours immobile. That is progress.
I do know that our soft tissues take so much longer to heal than the bone. Our muscles and tendons that were compromised for years pre surgery can take forever to resolve. As you know since you had the tendon repairs.
Be patient, have faith and keep moving.
I know you do have to move, because being still causes more pain. Your doctor sounds like a very caring practitioner, and that football game is a real goal. Very cool!
So I'm wondering if you need to get a van-small RV ? and just lie down on your side on a bed to travel? Can you lie in the backseat? Just thinking out loud...My mom actually had to do that with my dad driving for awhile due to her back/hip issues. Her motivation for having surgery was to drive herself again which she was able to do.
And yes the sun is shining here today and 69 degrees so I did do the whole walk to the mailbox and back up the hill! I evened out my legs and used two crutches ( I love your poles) I am so thankful my husband pushed to get the whole drive paved last fall, makes it easier! And funny I was so afraid of coming back UP the hill but going
DOWN was way harder!
Keep moving sister!
 
@BeBe I’m so glad to hear you managed the mailbox walk! Funny how some of us struggle with downhill AND uphill.

Unfortunately I can’t lie on either side for the pain in the sides of my hips. I also can’t lie on anything hard - including the floor, examination tables, massage tables, hospital beds, MRI scanning beds etc. Since this sensitivity began, I struggle to have anything against my back. But therein lies a whole other dimension to my disabilities.

I’m hoping you will have ongoing progress. Just keep up the walking, but don’t overdo. Like you said, it takes a lot of time for tendons and muscles to heal.

Thank you everyone for your continuing support.
 
Last edited:
We want you better and better.
Hope your weekend is sweet.:angel:
 
Just stopping by to say :hi: and see how you're doing.
I hope things are slowly continuing to improve for you.
Would love to hear an update when you feel like posting.
We'll be here, we care.....
Hugs :friends:
@MobiM
 
@Layla thanks. Was doing better. Regular walks. Increasing them as I could. Dr came by and did some muscle release work. Seemed to help a bit.

Then suddenly landed in hospital last Monday with a mammoth perianal abscess. Had surgery the same day. Came home Tuesday, but developed a cellulitis infection on the surgery site.

Haven’t been able to walk much at all, and the pool is forbidden. On strong antibiotics that give me migraines, and am just feeling generally discouraged.

Seems I just start to feel there may be some light at the end of this immobility tunnel and something else comes along.

Can only keep putting one foot in front of the other (hypothetically) and hope for a break.

I greatly appreciate your interest and support. :boohoo:
 
Oh my stars Mobi.
That's so frustrating for you, I know.
Would be nice if you could get a reprieve from other aggravations.
But this will get well also...and then we carry on...:friends:
You have your fan club in the wings!:yes:
 
Good Morning, Mobi
I've read a lot of sadness on BoneSmart this morning. Many people going through trials.
Can't believe this news! I'm so sorry. It must feel like one step forward, two steps back.
I hope this infection clears quickly so you're able to stop the meds, lose the awful migraines
and feel encouraged once again. I know you'll bounce back, Mobi. You always do. And we promise to
be here encouraging and cheering you on. Sending lots of love and hugs your way and wishing you comfort.
@MobiM
 
@MobiM
Just catching up and reading of this awful setback for you! Hugs and prayers for you, and hoping the antibiotics are doing their job to quickly clear up the infection.
I know how much you relied on the pool to help with your rehab, Maybe regular ice is ok now?
You have been through so much try to not let this most recent ordeal set you back mentally. That is always the biggest hurdle for me so just know we are here for you while you continue your rehab journey.
There IS light in that tunnel!!
 
Hi everyone! Once again, your rally to support is so appreciated. What would I do without you all?

I want to share some GOOD news:

1. I have put my crutches away into another room. I have no need for them anymore.
2. I am having showers without the chair and not feeling like everything will pop out as much when standing.
3. I’m doing short walks (ie to the bathroom etc) without even the hiking sticks for support.
4. I’ve stopped the Tramadol (could this be making me headachey and dizzy after so many months on it?)
5. The antibiotics are definitely helping as the swelling and fluid is nearly all gone.
6. I generally feel stronger. I think it’s just the antibiotics that may be making me feel temporarily weak and dizzy - or the withdrawal from the Tramadol.
7. I can dry my own feet - sorta. I lift my good one while standing and have been lifting the surgery one enough to dry it, although it has a way to go before I can get it knee height and twisted. A bit scared of that maneuver.
8. My daughter gave birth to my grandaughter last week. Penelope Claire. She is an angel. See photo. I will get to hold her tomorrow when the family comes over.

I could think of more good things, I’m sure, if I spend more time, but as you can see, many little progressions are adding up to huge positive changes in the big picture. Who’d have ever thought I’d be able to get rid of crutches, the horrid shower chair and stop the pain pills?? :dancy:

So, yay! Setbacks are only temporary. Just a shame winter has hit with a vengeance. Freezing, raining and windy. Tough for walking. So I will take a day off to let the dizzies and etc settle a bit. Then look forward to moving ahead.

Sending you all hugs and blessings and wishes for health, joy and contentment. :flwrysmile:

[Bonesmart.org] So many ups and downs<
 
Penelope is perfectly precious.

And hearing of your progress makes my heart sing.:loveshwr:
I'm so so happy you are doing well and able to be more independent.
Thank you for updating us!

Are you a Grammy, Gramma, Mema, Nana or ??
 
There used to be a cartoon when u was small called the Wacky Races AND the beautiful girl with the sportiest car was named Penelope Pitstop.
I told my mother I was changing my name to that when I turned 18.:heehee:

Love the name Penelope and I bet you are an awesome Grandma.
 
Aww, that precious baby is an angel :angel: How exciting, Mobi!
Thanks for sharing the good news on your progress. So wonderful to read!
Ditching the crutches, shower chair and pain meds.....Yay! :happydance:
Things are looking up and it's about time for you to catch a break.

Please stay in touch so we can continue to follow your journey.
May the blessings continue!
@MobiM
 
WOW!!
Grand baby is oh so sweet! I'll bet you cannot wait to hold her!
The rest of your post, I am just blown away! Really so very happy for
your new accomplishments despite the recent infection. Super!

I cannot take Tramadol without major dizzy issues and know it can affect
people like that when they withdraw also. Plus that is an issue with some antibiotics.
Just keep your walking sticks close especially outside until that subsides.

And your range of motion is coming back! Yay!
Celebrate celebrate! Do you have Mothers Day there this Sunday? Not sure
about Aussie holidays, but you do have lots of reasons to celebrate especially the new baby.
Good for you!
 
Congrats on becoming a Grandma and even bigger congrats on your wonderful progress! I hope things continue to improve for you. I know it's been such a hard road to travel at times, but you are DOING it!:wowspring::dancy::happydance::yes!:
 
Lol,@Mojo333 ! I remember Penelope Pitstop. My daughter has definite ideas in regard to names. So far she’s done well with a Max, a Jacob and now a Penelope. This grandchild will be my last. But five is not too shabby.

@Layla , thank you! :angel:

@BeBe your feedback on the Tramadol and antibiotics is much needed as I have been a bit anxious about the dizziness, weakness and breathlessness. Just did a short walk up the driveaway and felt like I was going to faint. I hope it’s just something simple like the withdrawal or ABs. And yes, Mother’s Day is tomorrow here, but my son and daughter and families are coming over this afternoon more to celebrate my daughter’s birthday (which was May 7). And we will meet Penelope for the first time. I expect Mother’s Day will also be part of it. I just hope I can sit in the living room and don’t get too dizzy etc.

@SaraK your kind words really help keep me positive.

Happy Mother’s Day to all mothers , whether you are the mother of the two or four legged variety, or simply have a nurturing spirit.
:cheers:
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom