THR So many ups and downs<

Sorry you are feeling a set back @MobiM. I know you are frustrated. My hip let’s me know when I have pushed it too much. Perhaps the rugged hill is not a good idea right now. I was told to stay away from uneven ground for awhile-it is tougher to handle.

Hope today is better.

I agree that it is impossible not to compare, @MobiM
It's in our nature...but all it's doing is bringing you down.
While you feel in the minority there may be countless others struggling like yourself
that we just aren't aware of. Maybe not the same issues, but struggling just the same.
You've been doing so well and you have rallied from previous setbacks. I'd give it time and go back at it again.
We're here for you....we care.
Hope your week is good.

I have tried using the new forum app. Unfortunately it has no search facility, so I can’t even find this thread. Do I need to change the title more often? I’m afraid if this online forum is removed I will no longer be able to participate. I use an iPad, so the app is for that. I don’t know if it’s just not good for iPads or if it is ununsable with everything.

I’m adding a pic of me with my hiking sticks. I’m managing over 2500 steps per day, and am going out in the car - altho car travel is still extremely painful on my tailbone and left SI joint (opposite my surgery hip). Go figure! I am still in pain, but I am at least more mobile. I am hopeful, still, that the pain and disability will eventually improve. It is such a roller coaster!

I wanted to wish everyone a very happy Easter!

FD5E6DB8-2EFA-47D9-AC12-427B4B26326D.jpeg
FD5E6DB8-2EFA-47D9-AC12-427B4B26326D.jpeg

Oh Mobi.
You look splendid! This is the lady who was bedridden last year? I'm not believing it!
How amazing... how far you have come. Poster child for perseverance and determination, you are!
I know you still struggle...but I'm hopeful this slow road will get you there.:ok:

I can't figure the new app either. :scratch: I just keep using browser...I'm not very good at change.

Happy Easter to you!

Last edited:
Wonderful picture @MobiM. Even though you still have some pain, you look and sound much happier! Keep up with your slow, steady progress. You are inspiring. Blessed Easter.

Aww, Mobi LOOK AT YOU :yay:
You look lovely and very happy. Now I can visualize you on your walks.
Doing 2500 steps per day....awesome!
No more driveway walking for Mobi, she's tackling wide open spaces.

Great news on your ability to adjust to car rides. Slowly but surely you'll get there.
Thank you for the wonderful update. Have a beautiful Easter!
@MobiM

Thanks everyone! @Layla yes, still doing the driveway about 3 times a day - but it’s dirt and is as long as walking to the end of our back paddock, so a typical “country mile”. @MammaT you are right. Still VERY up and down. Some days the pain still has me in tears. But I’m determined. @Mojo333 yes! I feel less bedridden - but am still on the bed more than up and about. Isn’t it weird how standing still is harder and more painful than walking? I still need to use a shower chair as standing that long in the shower would kill me. Thanks for your input re the app. I feel better now. I was afraid I might have lost the forum altogether.

Take care all of you - sending light and love.

I was afraid I might have lost the forum altogether.
You can never lose us Mobi.
I've not been as present due to family issues but you are always in my thoughts.

@MobiM look at you all stood up and looking gorgeous!! You are not alone with the slow recovery lovely lady. I have had limited ROM all my life so the new hip (12 weeks post op) has not cured this. I am still in pain walking and cannot walk far without being totally exhausted. I like you, keep comparing but it's not a good thing! If you were bed ridden then look at you now what a massive improvement. I believe what they tell me on here that it is a slow recovery and every milestone is worth noting. It's your muscles that have been dormant that need strengthening, it's not the hip that's the problem. Keep up the walking and you will get there!!!

I'm sorry you're still experiencing pain that brings you to tears, Mobi. Hopefully those days are numbered.
You look good and are doing so well. Slowly but surely you'll get there. Even if it feels like a snails pace at times. Your perseverance is slowly paying off @MobiM
Hope your weekend is great!

@Bevlah you are so kind. I’m so sorry you also have been having a slow difficult return to mobility, but at the same time, it really helps me because I feel very alone with my particular situation. Yes, I am hoping as you say that it’s just a matter of strengthening. But sometimes I can’t help but think the worst. Thank you for your post. I hope you are moving easier and feeling better, too.

@Layla thank you. I think they are more tears of frustration. I am SO tired of waiting. You are always so kind and thoughtful. Hugs!

@Mojo333 I hope the family issues are not too serious. Please know you are in my prayers.

Your hiking sticks look awesome @MobiM . You are very strong to have improved from bedridden to walking with the sticks! Thanks for being such an inspiration.

:hi:
Hope you're having a good week @MobiM just imagine us all on the sidelines
cheering you on while on your walks. Prayers it only continues to get better.
A wonderful rest of the week to you! :walking:

@MobiM hi lovely how are you doing? The hardness in my incision has gone down quite a bit this last week and some of the numbness is going which means I am finding walking a bit easier. Do you still have swelling and numbness in your incision area? I think this is the area that makes walking hard as that is where the muscles were cut and manipulated. Mine is still very swollen but it feels like the muscles are loosening a bit? We will get there my lovely, even if it's at a snails pace!

@Layla thank you! Yes, I do think of you all....and I think of some who are dealing with many other things much worse than immobility. It makes me humbled to consider the courage of those suffering from a multitude of difficulties.

But it’s still very frustrating to have a week of progress and then fall in a heap just as my confidence is improving.

Two days ago I decided to try going out our gate (we’re on a farm with a farm gate at the end of the driveway) and walk a few more steps on our dead end, dirt road. Pretty flat - unlike the paddocks. Because we’re rural, all of our mailboxes are at the end of our road. One of my big goals has been to be able to walk to our mailbox and back.

Well, my intention was to just walk a few metres to the next tree on the side of the road. I did that, but it was just far enough for me to actually SEE the mailboxes. As soon as I saw them, I was determined to touch our mailbox - and achieve that big goal. Of course, getting to them was a LOT longer walk than I’ve ever done. And then I had to get back. (Note to self: Think these things through BEFORE going off like a bull at a gate!) To make things worse, it was all uphill coming back. No crutches, just the hiking poles. Both hips and back were burning and I was only halfway there. My husband offered to go get the car and drive me home, but that would mean standing and waiting which is actually rougher on my back and joints than actually walking.

Long story short, I made it back, but felt as though every disc and joint was ready to dislocate. I had to get in the pool - another feat - just to “ice” my aching joints. (Pool temp is quite cool now).

I figured out that the entire walk that evening was over a half mile. Up until then, I’d done no more than about an 8th of a mile at a time.

Two days before this walk, I also went for a ride in the car - on Easter Sunday. Another major goal has been to make it in the car to my daughter’s house as I have not set foot in it. They built it several years ago but I couldn’t make it there to visit due to my pain. So, stubborn me again, I sucked up the agony of the sitting and car ride and insisted we go to drop off my grandson’s second birthday gift. We didn’t stay, and coming home was awful as we got stuck in a traffic jam, so I ended up having to sit in the car for 2.5 hours. I am still in pain from that. My tailbone and SI joints feel like they’ve been pulled out of joint.

I just don’t know how much of this is real progress, or how much is simply bull-headed stubbornness. I don’t feel as though the pain is getting less, I just feel I am making myself push through it. And that could be harmful, not helpful. Especially if the original pain problem is not sourced from my hip.

I am anxious for my dr to come talk to me about all this, but I can’t say when or if he’ll make it.

Sending hugs and healing vibes to all! :angel:

Aaargh for car ride and for no ease in pain.
Thinking of you today and inspired by your perseverance.
Hoping today is a better day!

I can imagine how frustrating it must be @MobiM My heart goes out to you.
You've been longsuffering and the victories being overshadowed by the set backs have to be maddening.
Your perseverance seems to be paying off though. You seem to be making progress even though you still
find you need to engage in days of recovery after some activities.

The car ride is a victory as is the attempt to reach the mailbox. Both are great progress but in hindsight you realized you pushed it and entered the ODIC. You will learn through trial and error as we all do. I'm sorry for your pain because it must dim the excitement of your progress. Just keep hanging in there Mobi, you are progressing.

Prayers for your comfort, copious amounts of patience and a visit from your doctor with some constructive advice.

Stopping by to say Hi :hi: @MobiM
Wondering how you're doing lately?
Haven't heard from you in a bit and would love to get an update if you're feeling up to it.
Hugs and warm wishes for a great rest of the week!

@MobiM
Hi! Just stopping by to check in, it has been awhile since I read through your thread.
Your last post has left me wanting to hear the rest of the story!!
Walking to the mailboxes with just walking sticks and BACK is a for sure milestone for you and I am so pleased!
And jealous because I have yet to make it down and back to my own mailboxes. We live rural also and the trek would be just under 2000 feet for me and there is a hill involved so down would be ok? But the hike back up?!?! I'm chicken!
But now I'm thinking if Mobi can do this...its pouring rain today so I have a reprieve? Tomorrow then!
When we go into these surgeries with more than one pre-existing condition it just takes time I guess.
I think you do have to have some bullheadedness to get out and make yourself go and do. Especially when
it seems you're not gaining ground as soon as you think you should. Pain can make us not do, especially if we fear setback, right?
I sincerely hope you didn't lose ground from your hike and if so, it was shorter lived than before.
And hopefully you have been able to find those hikes easier to repeat. I love that you use your pool as a giant ice pack! We moved to our farm and no longer have the pool which I miss a lot.
Come back and give us an update soon. Hope you are doing well.

:goodpost: @BeBe
Loving reassurance and a reminder healing happens at all different rates for many reason.
We're here rooting for you @MobiM :yes!:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp