THR So many ups and downs<

:roseshwr: we miss you, Mobi
Hope you are hanging in there
 
I second that, Mobi
Hope you've been having some good days.
Let us know how you're doing. We care :console2:
Wishing you a peaceful day!
@MobiM
 
Hi everyone! Sorry for not posting sooner. I’ve been tired and feeling a bit down. I’m going nuts with the sensitivity issues. Want desperately to be able to ride comfortably in the car, but can’t manage it at all. The car seat hurts and the ride itself kills my back and SI joints.

I’m walking to the end of the driveway and back - about 500 ft. (My daughter got me a fit bit for Christmas, but it was faulty and she’s still waiting for the replacement.) I’m doing the walk twice a day. Did it three times the day before yesterday. Still have to use elbow crutches, tho. Tried to walk without them, but my non operated side couldn’t handle it. Plus I was wobble-walking like a duck. Painful. There’s a spot on the side of my thigh/hip about the size of a quarter that is so painful if I touch it I yelp. Seems like there’s a lump there, too. I suppose it’s still something to do with the op.

Having difficulty getting comfortable on my back as I can’t lie on either side. My lower back is SO sensitive that the slightest lump or crease or seam hurts. Can’t lie on the couch or floor...the hardness hurts terribly. Have to put a feather quilt on the bed to lie on, and even that often hurts.

The up side is that I CAN walk to the end of my driveway and back 3 times a day. After, my back and hip hurt, but it’s more than I could do before surgery. Couldn’t even make it to the start of the driveway then.

Sleep is difficult. I’m still on 2xparacetemol and 1xtramadol every 6 hours, tho they don’t seem to get rid of the pain, I’m not willing to up the dose at this late stage. Four months post op.

My sports medicine doctor, who referred me for the hip replacement, is coming to see me today. I’m hoping he will see signs of progress. Fingers crossed.

Jaycey, yes, I do have new running shoes. They are very good. Thanks!

Thanks Cas and Jaycey for caring! Love to you all.
 
Last edited:
I have had difficulty sleeping in my back. I can’t imagine adding in your sensitivity! Sound very difficult! But you aren’t fitting and moping- walking down the driveway is awesome. Keep it up.
 
Hi @MobiM
Thanks for the update!
I'm sorry you're still struggling with the sensitivity issues.
I can imagine the frustration you must feel with the inability to drive in the car.
Walking the driveway 3 x a day is great news. Good for you! I hope you continue to build on that.
Best wishes for a great week!
 
So nice to hear of your progress @MobiM. You have come a long way since Christmas. Hope meeting with doctor went well today and he was able to provide some guidance and reassurance.
 
Yes, my doctor meeting really gave me a boost of positivity. He told me that the tendon tear alone would take at least 6 to 12 months to heal after repair, so it’s undoubtedly why I’m still having a lot of pain on the outside of that hip. He also said the SI joint disfunction and back pain were all part of the same issue and he feels the hip replacement will help both as I get muscle mass and strength back and become more mobile. He said he believed the sensitivity would also go away once I’m not on my back for so long and able to move more. He advised me to keep up what I’m doing - gradually go a bit further, but back off when too sore. He helped me make a target to aim for...one short term, one long term. He suggested getting those hiking poles to try instead of the arm crutches - for stability. They are apparently easier on the shoulders and upper back. He said the tender spot on the outside of my leg would be the nerve from the op (forget the exact one). He said there’d be a lot of twinges and stinging and pins and needles as that and the other nerves repair themselves. He is going to contact a specialist physio near me to perhaps come to my house and help set up strengthening exercises and goals if I need it. And he wouldn’t take any payment! He said he was happy to help and that money had bever been a motivating factor in his career as a doctor. He said he will be in touch to monitor how I’m going. And best of all, he said there is definitely reason for me to be positive.

Both my husband and I feel SO much more positive! Just knowing that the tendon could take a year makes me feel heaps better.

Thanks for all your well wishes and kind thoughts. Love to all!
 
Last edited:
Oh that is so encouraging Mobi.
We all saw you were progressing but also know are hurting and struggling.
Nice to have folks reassure us things will get better.
It's a journey, but I know you are determined.
Hope you have a great day.:happyfeet:
 
Your update is a wonderful way for my day to start @MobiM. It has to be so reassuring to be better informed about your recovery process. Nerves can drive us crazy while they are healing.

Good luck as you work towards the short and long term goals. As @Mojo333 said, we could see your progress but also your struggle. Glad you are able to see progress and have hope moving forward.
 
What great news! @MobiM
It seems touching base with your doctor gave you a ray of hope. It's wonderful!
Making progress with your walks has to be great motivation. It's so encouraging.

I remember those stinging, burning, prickly sensations. They seem fleeting.

What a wonderful doctor you have. It does sound as though his patients welfare
comes first and foremost, as it should. You're lucky to have him. Not only did he give you
good news but boosted your mood with his prognosis. So happy for you, Mobi.
Hope today is great!
 
@MobiM Hi there so glad to hear from you and that you are doing so well with the walking! What a wonderful doctor you have. His visit must make you feel so much more positive. A year seems a long time but it will pass - it was a year before I felt that everything was settling into place re nerves muscles etc so keep at it. Have a wonderful day/evening. Hugs Carol :friends:
 
I know the recovery is taking longer than you'd hoped, but it so wonderful to hear how much improvement there's been in the last 2 months. Keep working at it - you will continue to improve! I would think that the walking will help your back which will help your walking ...
 
What a lovely doctor. So very glad that he’s been able to address your concerns and show you that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Keep doing what you’re doing, you will get there :flwrysmile:
 
Today I’m getting my FitBit. Finally! Am also gettin a pair of hiking poles. Hoping to use them instead of the arm crutches.

Had a very bad day yesterday. I can never figure out why! Maybe because I shaved my legs...and to do that, I have to put each foot on a 2 foot high cabinet in our bathroom. I suppose lifting them that high and standing on one leg might just be too much. But it’s frustrating when it doesn’t really hurt until afterwards. In any case, only did one walk yesterday as my SI joints and lower back/hip were unbearably painful. Lying down didn’t help. Does anyone here feel that the weather is a big factor in your hip pain?

Today I’m still very sore, but have managed one driveway walk and the PT exercises. I just wish I was showing pain improvement.

I want to be able to ride in the car again, but am just scared to try as after the last try it took me days to recover. I guess I’ll just wait until I feel more confident.

Hoping all of you are seeing progress and feeling good.
 
It's great you're getting your FitBit....you sound excited, Mobi. You'll love tracking your progress.
I'll bet it is a possibility you over stretched some muscles shaving.
Did you see the Giraffe Razor in the recovery aids? Here's a link, look under general aids...
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-aids-a-comprehensive-list-for-hospital-and-home.12499/
It's wonderful you still managed a driveway walk, adjusting your activity according to your pain level.
Soon will come the car. You're doing great!
Wishing you a peaceful weekend.
@MobiM
 
Today I’m getting my FitBit. Finally! Am also gettin a pair of hiking poles. Hoping to use them instead of the arm crutches.

Had a very bad day yesterday. I can never figure out why! Maybe because I shaved my legs...and to do that, I have to put each foot on a 2 foot high cabinet in our bathroom. I suppose lifting them that high and standing on one leg might just be too much. But it’s frustrating when it doesn’t really hurt until afterwards. In any case, only did one walk yesterday as my SI joints and lower back/hip were unbearably painful. Lying down didn’t help. Does anyone here feel that the weather is a big factor in your hip pain?

Today I’m still very sore, but have managed one driveway walk and the PT exercises. I just wish I was showing pain improvement.

I want to be able to ride in the car again, but am just scared to try as after the last try it took me days to recover. I guess I’ll just wait until I feel more confident.

Hoping all of you are seeing progress and feeling good.

Mascaramom told someone had suggested a long handled razor. Found one on amazon. It is for pregnant gals but is AMAZING for hippies also. Check it out.
 
Good you’re getting your Fitbit. I borrowed hubbies and was surprised I was walking more than I thought I was. If you’re using poles or crutches though they may not track your steps accurately?
 
Well, I finally got the FitBit and managed to get it set up etc. went for my final of three driveway walks after dinner tonight. Was surprised at how many steps it is. My husband walked with me and counted my steps to see how accurate the FitBit is. It’s pretty accurate! So one driveway walk is about 400 steps. Now I wish I’d gotten the waterproof FitBit as I always walk then get in the pool or vice versa. Can’t swim yet as I just can’t be washing/rinsing my hair every day as I used to when I was swimming my 50 laps, but I do do paddling and walking in the pool. Oh well. It’ll be good, though, to be able to actually measure progress.

Thanks so much for the info on the long razors! I will indeed check them out. Somehow 10,000 steps seems totally out of my league...but hopefully not forever. I’ve set my current goal at 1500 steps. I’ll increase it as I go further. :hiking:
 
I think that's very reasonable...and smart. That was always one of my troubles.. it never hurts until I stop.
Hard to know when I did too much.
Are you still taking something from pain...at least at night?
I hate you are struggling so but still hopeful as are you that things are going to continue to get better!
Prayers and hugs going your way!
 
@Mojo333 yes, I’m still taking 50mg Tramadol plus 2 x paracetemol every 6 hours. But it sure doesn’t seem to help.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom