• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR So grateful to have found this community

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
I agree with Celle about the warm pool. I think you should hold off for a while. Also it is super easy to overdo in the pool--you don't realize it until later.

I had the hot flash/temperature control problem when on pain meds too. Freezing while icing (in the hottest part of summer mind you), then sweating later... You could take your temp but you will likely find it is just the weirdness of tkr recovery.

OP
OP
Relle

Relle

Country
Australia Australia
I just love the advice I get from my Bonesmart friends. I know now that I was totally unprepared for this surgery. I've said it before but I wished I'd found Bonesmart before my op, at least I would have some idea. My OS just said go home and get prepared.(whatever that meant).

I feel I am gradually getting on top of everything at last. I know I still have a long way to go but I'm sick of being bullied and expected to do things that I just can't physically do. I will be standing up for myself. Unfortunately I have been a people pleaser in the past and it has been a hard habit to break.

My stomach is almost back to normal after the naproxen. The pain and nausea was just adding to my misery. I can't believe it's taken over a week. Sometimes what is meant to help us just makes us worse.

I didn't think about the heat in the pool swellling the knee. I will try 30 minutes this afternoon and see how I go. The chlorine gets to me after that anyway.

hopalong61

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Relle Hi, it's nice to hear you're feeling more positive. It's the hardest thing in the world when you're in pain to think that it will all be ok isn't it ? I have good and bad days, as we all do, i get fed up when the pain wakes me during the night, and during the day when that horrible concrete knee feeling appears again ! Usually when i've been still for too long. Then i think about all the people i know who have had TKR's and the lovely people here on the forum who are now past all that and more or less back to normal and i give myself a shake ! One day at a time is my mantra, i did this when my ex decided to trade me in for a younger model 16 years ago, it works :rofsign:

A friend texted me yesterday, she is 7 weeks post TKR and was feeling down as she had tried to drive her car and she couldn't manage it, we're all at different stages but going through the same difficult times. I've decided to allow myself 12 months before doing any more worrying.

On the meds situation, i can now manage to take them in the morning and sometimes miss out the afternoon dose, (i sometimes forget them !) then take them before bed. Before i was clock watching, waiting for the next dose ! I treat that as a sign i'm slooooowly getting there ! You will too, honestly :fingersx:

SusieShoes

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
One day at a time is my mantra, i did this when my ex decided to trade me in for a younger model 16 years ago, it works
Mine did this too, and my mantra was "This too shall pass." And it did. So for my knee replacements I did the same thing: This too shall pass. Early recovery is no picnic! But it passes (slowly, oh so slowly) and then things are better but not great... and then that too passes. It does take several months before most people even with good recoveries feel like saying "Whoopee! I have knees! What a great idea that was!"

SusieShoes

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I feel I am gradually getting on top of everything at last. I know I still have a long way to go but I'm sick of being bullied and expected to do things that I just can't physically do.
I'm so glad you're standing up for yourself. No one else in the world can do as good a job of that as you can. You KNOW what you are feeling, and how much is too much, or how much is doing great and you can see the progress. Only you can really tell.

My stomach is almost back to normal after the naproxen.
Yay! The most miserable part of my recovery was nausea and stomach ills. You probably feel a hundred times better now!

I didn't think about the heat in the pool swellling the knee.
That goes for other forms of heat, too, like heating pads. Those should go nowhere near your knee for a few months yet, though you can use heat on your feet, calves, or thighs for muscle pain. One of the seductive but risky things about heated pools or baths is that they feel sooooooo good it's easy to just give in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Relle

Relle

Country
Australia Australia
I am quietly optimistic that I've made progress over the last couple of days. I hate writing it down just in case I jinx myself. Although I'm still waking up quite stiff, after a shower and a little walking my knee is starting to feel a bit more relaxed. I'm still pleased with my dreaded ROM which is about 90 this allows me to move a bit more freely than I did 2 weeks ago. Of course I'm still limited in my movement and I am reminded if I absentmindedly take things too far but to sit and have my legs hang straight down is a great feeling.

The messages I have received on my thread are really helping me to accept my situation and give me hope for the future.

I actually slept for 4 hours straight last night. The longest time yet. At my last GP visit he gave me an additional pain med to try and reduce my use of oxycodone. I managed to cut back on 1 yesterday so I'm hoping this will continue. I can't believe I'm using less while also having periods of time with hardly any pain.

I didn't get to have my much anticipated visit to the heated pool. Luckily I phoned just before I was about to go to be told that they where booked out with swimming lessons for the day and couldn't guarantee I would find room to move freely in the pool. They are now closed for 5 days maintenance. Maybe that's the universe trying to tell me something.

OP
OP
Relle

Relle

Country
Australia Australia
I can't believe I slept for 6 hours straight last night. Have know idea why. I watched the wedding on my iPad in bed until 11.30 pm. Thought it was beautiful. Maybe that put me in a good place. Earlier that evening I was at my husbands and grandsons birthday get together sitting in a corner on a lounge with my leg elevated feeling a bit sorry for myself. Can't quite manage to stay away from home for more than a few hours at a time.

I am still finding it a journey to get through each day. Not really making any noticeable progress but am managing to get through the day with little pain meds. Still elevating but finding I'm getting cramps after using the ice pack so have cut back for a while.

A few days ago my son in laws mother was put in hospital with a life threatening condition. She was put in a coma last night so as the doctors could do what they needed to help save her life. Last Sunday we were all celebrating Mother's Day together. It has really given me a jolt and helped me put things into perspective. I have to find small things to be grateful for.

Can't wait until I go to the OS on Thursday and hopefully get the all clear to continue recovery on my own. I hate having to justify my choice to follow the Bonesmart principles for recovery. I'm confident that I will eventually get my ROM back over time and be increasingly able to do more of the things I find enjoyable.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I hate having to justify my choice to follow the Bonesmart principles for recovery.
I know what you mean! I never had to actually verbally defend my choice to follow Bonesmart, but it was in my mind all the time as my surgeon and PT told me to do things Bonesmart said not to.

I’m sorry about your son in law’s mother.

OP
OP
Relle

Relle

Country
Australia Australia
@Jockette Thank you for your thoughts. Robyn has been diagnosed with Gillian-barre syndrome. It's has been scary time for her and her family. The doctors see so few cases their not even sure what will happen except that it can have very serious consequences.

Today is lovey and sunny here. A little cold but still nice to sit out and forget worries for a while a least.

hopalong61

Country
@Relle it's lovely to hear you're feeling a bit better, even if it's not every day ! I'm the same, this morning, i realised after my cup of tea that i hadn't thought about taking any painkillers ! Normally it's one of the first things i think about ! Progress. of sorts :) The wedding made most people feel happy i think !

OP
OP
Relle

Relle

Country
Australia Australia
@hopalong61 its great when you realise that yo haven't taken painkillers. I couldn't believe it when I woke up at 5.30 am this morning. Usually it's 2.30 when the pain kicks in again. Waiting to see what tonight brings. Have been playing solitaire to try and make myself overtired and go to sleep.
The wedding was beautiful. Amazing that people all over the world can watch something at the same time.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
For whatever reason, I woke up really early and happened upon the wedding on BBC America. I knew it was coming up soon but hadn't been paying much attention. It was lovely and they look happy,
Congrats on the longer sleep. :yay:

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
We had the wedding on at our house. Our kids were visiting from out of town for the weekend. The grandsons, 4 and 6 were not overly interested, but my 8 year old granddaughter was. Later on she said, I can’t believe we saw a prince get married!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Robyn has been diagnosed with Gillian-barre syndrome. It's has been scary time for her and her family. The doctors see so few cases their not even sure what will happen except that it can have very serious consequences.
I'm sorry to hear this. Guillain-Barre is rare and it's not easy to predict the extent to which it will affect a person. My best wishes for her and her family.

OP
OP
Relle

Relle

Country
Australia Australia
I had my last appointment at the PT this afternoon. Even he is happy with my progress and said he was surprised I had done so well. He kept saying how I have to keep on working hard and pushing myself to the limit to keep improving. i find it easier to just agree with him while I have actually been kind to myself and not overdoing it. A couple of short walks daily plus some stretching followed by elevation and ice.
Hopefully the OS will be happy as well. My ROM is still not great but I'm sure I'm finally on the right path. All I need is time.

OP
OP
Relle

Relle

Country
Australia Australia
I am so relieved and happy. Have been to see my OS this morning. My anxiety levels have been high wondering what he would say about my progress. My ROM is 85 unaided and my extension is 5 and he said considering that my ROM was only 55 before my MUA 2 weeks ago he is pleased. He said there is no way of knowing how long recovery will take, some people are hares and some are tortoises. I'm the tortoise and it doesn't bother me now I've accepted the fact that recovery can be a very slow process. It has taken me nearly 10 weeks to get to where I am now and I feel like I've come out of quite a dark place.
I don't have to go back to the PT just keep on doing what I have been doing.
I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who takes the time to answer all of the questions and give advice on Bonesmart.
I certainly would not be where I am now without you.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
What a great appointment and how great that your surgeon is understanding of this recovery.

I was always so stressed going to my check ups fearing I wouldn’t “measure up” figuratively and literally! My surgeon never once told me this recovery takes time, you’ll get there, etc. He was all about X-rays, and ROM.

OP
OP
Relle

Relle

Country
Australia Australia
Actually drove my car for the first time today. Feels great to be able to get out by myself. I know legally I have been able to drive before this but before my MUA I didn't have enough bend. I also have anxiety with driving which doesn't help.
Other than that everything else is moving along slowly. Not sleeping the best, still playing solitaire, doing jigsaw puzzles and even gone back to candy crush in the middle of the night. That's ok though. I have the luxury of being able to stay in bed in the morning if I'm comfortable.
My daughter and grandchildren moved out at the weekend which means I don't have to feel stressed about the mess they were making around the house.
I don't actually see the light at the end of the tunnel yet but I feel that the road will be a lot smoother from now on. (Fingers crossed)

hopalong61

Country
@Relle. Aw thats a lovely post x Isn't it a good feeling when you have days where you think you will eventually feel better ? I'm having quite a few of those days now. I've been out to two barbecues this weekend, yes, i stiffen up if i sit for too long but just doing normal stuff cheers me up. I think (although i'm so shocked) that i didn't wake up last night and could possibly have slept all night :yikes: I took one Tramadol and 2 Paracetamol about 10pm and woke up about 6am ! Woo Hoo ! It's the little things :loll:
A memory just popped up on my Facebook page from 2012 saying "i wish i had legs that work, fallen in the car park at work again" I now have one duff leg and one leg thats a work in progress ! I'm feeling positive ! Hope you are too, your post sounds as though you could be getting there :flwrysmile:

SusieShoes

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
There’s something ever so restful about having an empty house all to yourself. It feels somehow less lazy to be doing the restful work of recovery. :sleeep:

Though you may not yet see the light at the end of it, you do sound like you’re okay with the tunnel now. :heehee: You at least trust it to end! And it will. Maybe even soon.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mom's girl
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom