Guest viewing is limited

TKR So grateful to have found this community

Home, 24 hour post op. Just a quick update. Procedure went well, very happy with results. Have had large amount of pain relief so my head isn't in a good place. Can't really concentrate too well to be able to recall everything that has happened. Trying to sleep it off. Hopefully in a better place tomorrow.
 
I'm glad it's over with and you're back home! Now, you need to treat your knee just like you did when you first at the tkr. It's need ice and elevation.
 
Day 3 and still feeling the after effects of the medication I was give in hospital. Hopefully will wear of soon. Have been taking naproxen and paracetamol since I've been home. I still have good movement in my knee, amazing really considering how stiff it was before. My knee is still very swollen though. I am very concerned with what amount of therapy I should or shouldn't be doing. Going to PT this morning, hoping he does the right thing.
 
@Relle I'm really pleased you now have good movement, feels great doesn't it, despite the pain and stiffness ! Keep taking the painkillers, i still need them 8 weeks post MUA but not as much now, I wish i could take Naproxen but my blood pressure is high so they won't prescribe it, my knee still swells but gradually i'm feeling it improving. You will too, listen to your knee as far as physio goes, i'm happy that my knee now bends, i know eventually the swelling and tightness will go so i cut myself some slack now and don't feel guilty if i miss a couple of days physio. Hope your physio goes ok xx
 
@hopalong61 I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be on naproxen either. Have had bad nausea and stomach cramping since I've been out of hospital I would be thinking due to the naproxen. I wasn't prescribed it after my TKR because of being on blood pressure medication but the OS didn't think it would matter taking it for a few weeks. I'm not going to risk a stomach ulcer so will solder on without it and revert back to Endone which didn't give me any side effects. PT went well and I'm going to a heated pool tomorrow. I am still terrified I will lose my ROM by either doing too little or too much. So far so good though. Just trying to fight through the nausea until I get the naproxen out of my system.
 
@Relle I worried about losing the ROM, i would do whatever you feel is comfortable, i'm still amazed every morning when i get out of bed and my knee bends to at least 90 degrees !
 
I'm glad you stopped the naproxen. It's a nasty drug for the GI tract. Please be gentle with the PT and don't do anything to cause your tender knee more pain.
 
@SusieShoes im glad I stopped when I did too. I can't believe 24 hours after my last tablet my stomach is still causing me grief. That was only after taking them for 2 days.
I am wanting to go to the pool this afternoon so hoping I feel better soon.
 
Hope the pool treated you kindly! If your knee acts up, give it a couple more weeks before testing it again.
 
@Relle the pool will be good, my consultant recommended i use a pool for Physio, even just walking in water is good he said. Shame i don't have one ! I'm off on holiday in June, will spend a lot of time in the pool and sea then !
 
I am very concerned with what amount of therapy I should or shouldn't be doing. Going to PT this morning, hoping he does the right thing.
All your knee needs after an MUA is to be kept moving gently. Don't be talked into overdoing the exercises.

I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be on naproxen either. Have had bad nausea and stomach cramping since I've been out of hospital I would be thinking due to the naproxen. I wasn't prescribed it after my TKR because of being on blood pressure medication but the OS didn't think it would matter taking it for a few weeks. I'm not going to risk a stomach ulcer so will solder on without it
I'm glad you stopped the Naproxen. Even a short course can cause problems, as you've discovered.
Josephine knows of someone who had severe stomach bleeding after a short course.
 
OT this morning went well. He is actually pleased with me )for a change). Gave me the usual pep talk about pushing the exercise in case I lose this window of opportunity. Luckily he doesn't force me when I am there and what I do in my own time is up to me. No intention of working through the pain as he advises.
Went to the pool this afternoon, luckily it is heated and not far from where I live. Enjoyed being in the water and did some walking and stretching. Didn't do any other exercise at home, thought that was plenty for one day. 2 days off from PT now so can relax for a while.
@hopalong61 i don't have a pool at home either. Would love one though, we get upto 47celcius here in the summer. First cold snap coming into winter at the moment so wouldn't been keen on using an outdoor pool at the moment. I bet you are looking forward to your holiday, sounds strange talking about the beach I June. We are going to the snow in August. Hoping to be ok for the trip as we will be driving about 900 klms. Certain,y won't be doing it in 1 day like we would have when we were younger.
 
Hi @Relle, We're going to Turkey in June, looking forward to lots of sun and relaxation. We had snow when my TKR was done, when i schedule my second TKR i'll do it in summer !
 
Glad the walking and stretching felt good. It's tempting when in the water to overdo, so just heed your knee as to whether you've done too much. :swim:
 
@hopalong61 good idea having your op in summer. I naively thought I'd be well on the way to recovery before the cold weather came.
@SusieShoes i think I did overdo it yesterday. Next time won't be going the same day as to PT.
 
Haha @Relle, we say that about going to Australia ! I have family in Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane, i've been to Perth, Sydney and Melbourne and loved them all, it's just such a long way ! Turkey is a mere 4 hours away !
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom