THR So far, so good

Great quote by a lovely constituent

How many of you have been in a shopping mall or an amusement park and have seen a map that says, “You are here.” It tells you where you are so you can locate what you have to do in order to get to where you want to be.

Well, here is more realistic chart of the “You are here” for a THR.

ai40.tinypic.com_9zlobd.jpg

Too often you think, “Hey, I have been in recovery 5 or 6 weeks, and I should be here. After all, I have been at this PT/recovery thing for what I think to be long enough---why am I still sore, still stiff, still not where I want to be with my strength and flexibility? How come I don't have the stamina to do the things I want or need to do?”

You keep asking yourself the question, “Why am I not where I am supposed to be?” You are, in fact, actually just where you are supposed to be. The aspect to consider, though, is why you are where you are.

You need to consider what has been done to your hip. Your hip was sliced open; BONES WERE SAWED AND MAYBE HAD SCREWS DRILLED INTO THEM!!!; your OS and his assistants pounded and man-handled you while you were under anesthesia (they most likely were not very gentle!); things may have been glued to you, and finally---you were closed up! You have to consider what has happened to your hip---it has been surgically assaulted and it is angry. It will take quite some time for its anger to simmer down somewhat. It is the real “You Are Here!” Marker---not the one where you think you should be.

The key issue here is to understand that the hip is in charge of the recovery; it sets the time-table for recovery. Most of the time, it is slower than we would like it to be. But when you consider what has been done to your hip, you can understand why your hip is angry and why it will take longer than you think it should to fully recover. We tend to rush our recovery timetable and think that our hip can move forward faster than it actually can.

We have to be much more realistic in the “You are here” vs. the “You should be here”----you have to realize how long it may take to get to “Fully Recovered.” Once you come to terms with the idea that your hip sets the timeline for recovery as well as the actual slow speed of many THR’s, the markers make much more sense and are much more understandable.

Just keep it in mind---the “You are here” is from the hip's perspective, not from yours. The hip is in charge. You will reach the “Fully Recovered” aspect in your life, but your hip will set the schedule; your hip will set the speed, and your hip will let you know when you arrive.

Last edited:
Too bad we can't hear a recording of the power tools in action during our THR
I think the sounds of a reamer, hammering, sawing, drilling, of our bone would be enough to
put it all in perspective when we're frustrated in our progress, or feeling overly ambitious but stifled.
Slow and steady, @marita
You'll get there!

Grumpy today. I'd like to be cheerful, but I can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. These seem to be the emotional ups and downs of healing. Honestly, it seems like I have to think back two or three week to see that there has been any progress.
I have a walking circle around my house (living room to kitchen to dining room and back to living room). Today I figured out the distance I would go in a ten minute walk (turns out to be about 1/4 mile). I have been doing 5 or 10 minute walks for a while now. When I walk for short distances like that, my walk seems to get better (more mobility, less pain). When I sit for even a half hour, my body gets cranky and creaky when I get up. So, it seems to me that moving throughout the day, a little at a time, is what my body wants. Then there is the day (every third day) when I push more (do resistance training). Body the next day hurts. I know that bonesmart people are not in favor of this kind of exercise, but I expect I am going to continue it anyway. As well, I do a senior water aerobics class three times a week. That doesn't hurt but makes me feel better after. It is generally a pure joy. I can do so much in the water that just doesn't happen on dry land. Makes me feel like a normal person. Yay water aerobics!

The recovery is much slower than I expected (or like!). I’ve been going to the pool every couple of days and walking and doing some stretches. It does feel great doesn’t it?! I’m planning to try the easy aquarobics class next week. I just have to remember not to overdo it. Before I got very sore I was doing five aquarobics classes a week and I loved it. But I was rather competitive in class so will have to be careful.
You’re certainly going in the right direction :hi:

PS. Thank all you good people for your support. I keep hearing you about 'slow and steady'. It does remind me. Hey, think I'll go watch a movie now. Lying down. No extended sitting for me.

Gretel,
I hear you about being competitive. Maybe that's why the senior class works for me. Lots of people go s l o w there. My recovery is also going much slower than I expected and sometimes that gets me down. We are turtles, not hares. Layla, Mojo333 and others remind us that slow and steady wins the race. Maybe I need to post that on my refrigerator.

Too bad we can't hear a recording of the power tools in action during our THR
I think the sounds of a reamer, hammering, sawing, drilling, of our bone would be enough to
put it all in perspective when we're frustrated in our progress, or feeling overly ambitious but stifled.
!
But @Layla, that's what is worrying me....since I will probably be going the regional anesthesia route....I want big heavy duty ear plugs!!:scary:

Hey @Bumblebee
I'm with you! I didn't want to hear ANYTHING while I was in there, knock me out cold!
BUT I'd like names, photos and socials of all who were in there while I was in la-la land :rotfl:

What I meant above was... if we could hear those recorded sounds, post surgery, when we're frustrated with our progress, those sounds would remind us of what we're recovering from and why it's going to take time.

So are you having spinal and light sedation?

@Layla ... yes, I knew what you were referring to:snork:....I just visualized the drilling, hammering and sawing.:yikes:
Sorry for hijacking this thread. :bolt:

Hi Bumblebee,
I was going to do the spinal but the anesthesiologist talked me out of it. I think it was because He was more comfortable with full anesthesia. Turned out the 'total' was easy. Friend told me she had the spinal and didn't remember a thing. Either way probably be fine - your choice. Now, post THR it helps me to remember the story of the turtle and the hare and who won that race.

9 months and all seems finally well for my hips.
What helped me not feel like things were getting better too slowly, was remembering how restricted my body was for quite some time prior to THR. And how much pain I endured. Takes time to come back from surgery, and come back from all that bad stuff going on with our body prior to surgery.
Hope your weekend is wonderful, marita.

One of the problems is that I actually had more mobility pre surgery. I could walk ½ mile with sticks without any real problems. Yes, I was more tired in the afternoons, probably because of an aching pain. But pain has never been a real big deal for me. I guess I just accept it.

The kind of pain I have now is very different. It's in the hip side muscles and sometimes goes up past the iliac crest or into the butt. No pain right at the joint, nor bone spur pain, or groin pain. I can tell my hip joint isn't hurting anymore. Also, I can stand much better, taller and longer.

When I did decide to move on the surgery (if they would have me) was after a 14 day cruise trip with friends where I could not keep up with them. One of the last days, I must have walked at least a mile and yes, then, I really did hurt. But now, after ½ mile, I am limping and hurting the next day. It really bugs me that I can't walk without a hitch unless I use aids. That is the single most depressing thing to me.

So I can't really say I've improved much - yet. However, I do believe (still) that I Will improve and finally walk again without a limp for a mile or two at a normal pace and without pain afterwards. I wish this thing were not so confusing.

Hi @marita
I'm sorry you're suffering and feeling a bit stalled in your recovery.
I'm thinking this calls for the expertise of our Nurse Director, @Josephine.
I've just tagged her for you. Let's let her weigh in. She's in the UK,
so please check back in case she has questions or posts a diagram for you to pin point your pain.
Warm wishes for a peaceful relaxing weekend!

@marita I had a follow-up appointment with my surgeon yesterday, and complained that I thought I should be further along. I still have stiffness and some pain with the first few steps after sitting. He assured me that I am on track, and that it can take a full year to completely recover. So I too will remember that we are the tortoise, not the hare! :giggle: Wishing you a good weekend.

I get a pain in lower outside calf just below knee and the spot where IT band inserts. I was told that the below the knee pain could be IT band. btw, I had this pain pre op and overall, it has lessened but not gone away.
I do some deep massage of IT band. You press really deep. After IT band stretches in the water, many times the pain in outside lower calf eases off.
It seems to help to do IT band massages, but I have to remember to do it and to press really hard. Just did one now and pain below knee has eased.
I think I will take advice here and rest at least until PT on Monday. I usually do resistance stuff for gluteus minimus and medias every third day. Think I'll skip that for now. Wondering what the result will be.
I can ice and rest but not able to take NSAIDS because I take warfarin. I use tylenol for pain.
No hen's age lumps on thigh but a couple of tender spots along where I think the IT band lies. Should I massage these?

I was told that the below the knee pain could be IT band. It seems to help to do IT band massages, but I have to remember to do it and to press really hard.
You should have a look at this Acupressure massage
I think I will take advice here and rest at least until PT on Monday.
If you want to get results from resting, 2-3 days isn't going to do it. You need at least 2-3 WEEKS and probably more. But the principle thing is this: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess. So if I were you, I'd quit the PT completely because you just don't need it.
Should I massage these?
Massage anywhere it's sore.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Cocoabean
Recent bookmarks