THR So far, so good

Yes I feel great when I get out of the pool :) My knee was really bothering me this morning and even it felt great. The pain hasn’t come back and that was hours ago. I didn’t get quite as long in the pool today cause we were going to the movies and the pool opened late. Glad I still went though. Hubby goes back to work next week and I think I’ll go more often.
 
Had an enlightening talk with my PT today. I think I understand the situation better now. This THR is a big deal. He says I'm doing find but that I'm own hard taskmaster. He suggested that I take more time to rest for the healing to happen. I really needed to hear that. Then I think we figured out why I'm getting back pain because I'm not standing but leaning to one side a bit on one of the exercises. He said the limp is the usual thing that happens with hip replacement and that it just takes time (and care) to resolve. Well, guess what? Tomorrow I'm not going to do a thing. Rest and walk around the house a bit. It does seem good not to sit for too long without some walking. Otherwise I get stiff. So patience was needed in the beginning, patience in the middle and now patience and letting the body do its thing all the way to the end. It does seem to take me quite a bit of time to learn. Here I am 10 weeks out and proceeding.
 
Yay @marita I think you have made a perfect decision.
Your legs haven't been weak, they have been injured in order to get that new hip in place.
Constant aggravation just won't let them heal.
I got so many mixed messages about PT...From therapist, to GP, to OS...who I admit looking back even though he had ordered PT didn't seem bothered that I had dropped it. Especially when he saw how well I was doing without!
Anything we "lose" as far as strength and tone...I feel like we can work on after the healing takes place.
Yay for you for chilling today.
Patience is definitely the hardest thing to maintain.
Hope you have a Good Day.:ok:
 
Hi Guys,
I'm hanging in here through my healing. It's still ups and downs. And sometimes I get frustrated. I do need the support that I can find on this site and I appreciate it very much. I have a problem with comparing myself with others. So it's important to let it take the time that it will. Is there improvement? Yes, I think so. More time with very little help with the cane. Just a tap. Sometimes without it, but not as perfect a gait as I want. But also time when I need it more. What can I say? Just need to keep going through this. My PT says I'm doing fine. There are factors that slow recovery. One is age. Another is weight. And, of course, comorbidity. I have all three. Left knee can be a problem. Weight is over by 25 to 30 #. And I am 75. So, considering all this, I guess I have to say I'm doing pretty well.
 
Hi @marita from reading your posts it sounds like you’re progressing well, just not as quickly as you’d hoped. I gave up the PT very early on and just focused on my walking. Very slowly and steadily at first, concentrating on my gait and balance. I’ve found icing to be my biggest ally in the recovery process. Wishing you a continued good recovery :flwrysmile:
 
@marita I know this recovery business can be awfully frustrating. Two and one half months is really still early days and you really mustn't compare yourself to others on this forum.
I had many years of declining mobility, bad gait and posture.
My OS said end stage OS. At 53?
That made for alot of retraining for my body during recovery but I feel like my age probably helped expedite some of the recovery process.
It may seem slower than some, but all our stories are different.
Be patient, I don't hear you complaining of hip pain...? That's good news!
Slow and steady wins the race.
 
You do sound like you are doing pretty well @marilla. Recovery is individual for each of us and you are right, other factors come in to play. Hope today is good.
 
Hi @marita
As you've heard...slow and steady wins this race. You're making progress and that's what counts.
Check out Zinnia's thread if you haven't already. She's had a rough time and is triumphing at 82.
You'll get there.

Has your PT suggested heel-toe walking in an effort to correct your gait and use the cane less?
If not, ask your PT their thoughts on it. Your heel strikes the ground first, followed by toes. It takes
concentration but when you are mindful it really helps. At least I found it to be beneficial.

Try not to get frustrated. You're not alone here. Stop by when you're feeling discouraged and hopefully
we can encourage and support you, helping to restore confidence in yourself.

Warm wishes for a great weekend of continued recovery!
 
Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your support. It means a lot to me. I'm taking an 'easy' day today. Have some pain on outside of my right calf. So icing and resting. Does anyone know what outer calf pain means? I thought it was maybe connected to the IT BAND which inserts just below the knee on a proturberance just to the outside. IT band stretches seem to help, but I'm only allowed to do those in the pool. Any ideas?
You guys are sweet.
 
Oh, btw, I do the heel/toe walk and especially concentrate on it when I am water walking.
 
Doing well :hugzz: I know it’s VERY hard not to compare your recovery to others. I struggle!
 
Just checking in. I'm getting used to taking my time healing. A little over 3months out. I can walk (some) without the cane but use it often. It's the Trendelenburg (or something like that). I've joined the senior water aerobics class and glad to get back to it. It feels just fine. Love the warm water. Poor weather here so I just walk around my house for about ten minutes at a time. It's still getting better, but geez, so slow.
 
It certainly can feel slow.
I'm glad you are staying positive and Yay for your water aerobics.
My daughter is a head life guard at the local water park where there are many arthritis and therapeutic classes.
They have many who really enjoy them.
Hope you have a Good Weekend.:SUNsmile:
 
Glad you are seeing progress @marilla, even if it feels slow. What’s important is that we are moving forward. Our body knows how quickly it wants to handle things.
 
Recovery can be slow @marita
Slow and steady wins the race.
I'll bet the water aerobics is quite relaxing. It's nice you enjoy it, something to look forward to.
It can be scary outside this time of year in the cold and slippery ice or snow, depending upon your location.
Best wishes as you continue to heal!
 
It was Saturday that I did a Lot of activity. More non cane walking, more than usual stuff, cleaning the house, etc. Ouch on Sunday! I was amazed because I hadn't done any formal exercises to strengthen the gluteus medius and minimum. But I was hobbling around yesterday. Today I think it's better.
 
Spending a bit more time off the cane. It's on again, off again for me, depending on how walking is going. It seems like a positive direction. And I love my aerobics class. That, then the jacuzzi, a few minutes in the sauna and I feel pretty relaxed.
 
Yay @marita I think you have made a perfect decision.
Your legs haven't been weak, they have been injured in order to get that new hip in place.
Constant aggravation just won't let them heal.
I got so many mixed messages about PT...From therapist, to GP, to OS...who I admit looking back even though he had ordered PT didn't seem bothered that I had dropped it. Especially when he saw how well I was doing without!
Anything we "lose" as far as strength and tone...I feel like we can work on after the healing takes place.
Yay for you for chilling today.
Patience is definitely the hardest thing to maintain.
Hope you have a Good Day.:ok:

I FINALLY realized I had to read and watch a few good movies. I wanted to be “well” immediately and pushed too hard. Enjoy just resting.
 
That really is the ticket. Your body is working hard to get things back to normal, but must utilize energy to do so...that's how we normally regenerate when we sleep. Keep moving...then rest and let the amazing human body do is thing.
We all have overdone it at times...we just have to be attuned to how much is too much.
That can be different person to person.
Onward and upward ladies!:ice:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom