THR So far, so good

Looked at all the stuff - ITband, piriformis, bursitis. Nothing sticks out. No bells and whistles go off. So....I am just taking it easy. Go to the pool many days. I love it there. I'm so mobile in the water.
backed off on the water aerobics, Got and far infared heating pad today. It feels pretty good. The heat penetrates like 2-3 inches and gets blood to the area. Oh, forgot to say, I have some pain in butt and glut meds when getting up after sitting. Really not doing anything but ADLs which I had to do because the dished need washed, shopping needs done and dinner needs cooked.
 
Hi there @marita
Stopping by to say :hi:
Wondering how you're doing?
I hope the pain you were dealing with has improved...
Let us know how you're doing, we'd love to hear!
 
Hi Layla, thanks for stopping by.

Well, I think I may be getting to the place where I may know what the problem is. One of the reasons I haven't posted is because I refused Josephine's advice and now I think she was probably right. The truth is that I haven't been getting better.

I've stayed pretty much the same for the last 3+ weeks. I've backed way off PT exercises. I am doing the most gentle abduction for the glut meds. And very few.

Anyway, I don't think that's the problem. It's a pain in the middle of my buttocks, especially after sitting. No pain down the back of the leg. This suggests piriformis syndrome. Could also be bursitis, I guess. Fired my 'no pain, no gain' PT and going to someone new who told me not to do anything that hurts. But guess what, even water walking this morning was too much.

Also strange is that my symptoms are worse in the morning and by mid afternoon they back off. I have an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon in one week and hope to eliminate anything worse. Maybe he can shed some light. I think he should take an Xray to be sure it's not a problem there.

So, here I am and I can't say 'so far, so good' anymore. If you see this Josephine, please just don't say 'I told you so'. I am fighting feeling down as it is and I don't need more head problems.

Now, what I'm doing is icing. I'd alternate that with heat but my new infra-red heater isn't working! Right now, I think if I get a good diagnosis and a good program to deal with it, I will come around.

Thanks for your patience.
 
Oh @marita. You certainly aren't the first to hit the ODIC (OverDid It Club)
Most of us have at some point in recovery. It is hard to not want to "do" something to make things the best they can be. Unfortunately, doing something is not always what is needed.
I'm glad you are addressing the problems and it is very "big" of you to admit Josephine was giving you the appropriate advice.
Josephine certainly doesn't want anyone to suffer for the sake of being right.
I'm going to be rooting for you to get this thing back on track!
 
This suggests piriformis syndrome. Could also be bursitis, I guess.
Those two are mutually exclusive meaning totally different.
It's a pain in the middle of my buttocks, especially after sitting. No pain down the back of the leg.
referred pain down the back of the leg is not inevitable in piriformis syndrome. But it being worse after sitting certainly it!
Fired my 'no pain, no gain' PT and going to someone new who told me not to do anything that hurts.
Good move!
But guess what, even water walking this morning was too much.
Guess what - water walking is much more strenuous than ordinary walking! MUCH more. But it feels easier so it's understandable you might not take that into account.


If you see this Josephine, please just don't say 'I told you so'.
Heaven forfend! I hope I have more compassion than that, my dear :console2:
 
Aww, Marita....I'm so very sorry you're suffering and feeling anxious.

I find it admirable you can admit in a public forum you may have allowed some well intentioned advice
to slip through the cracks. Not all could be so humble.

Our recoveries are just that "OUR" recovery. We have the right to journey through any way we choose. Josephine's wisdom comes from 50+ yrs of experience in orthopedics. It's difficult for her to watch people suffer needlessly and she tries to educate us to avoid such setbacks. You are not alone in overdoing, you are not alone in suffering a set back. You are not alone in assuming PT has all the answers given their position. That was a difficult one for me to digest, myself. How / why would PT steer me wrong?
Read the "Big Tip" once again in the Recovery Article.

Consider backing off from PT for the next week until you meet with your OS. Continue to ice and elevate in the interim. Let your poor traumatized leg heal. Give it the TLC it so deserves. It will heal, it is healing.
Please know we're here for you through the good and the bad we'll encourage and support you in any way we can.

Prayers for your comfort, peace of mind, healing and an enlightening visit with your OS next week.
Hugs to you and warm wishes for a peaceful day! :console2:
@marita
 
Thanks for your compassion and words. I appreciate them soooo much. OS appointment is next Tues. I'm going to ask for X-rays so we can see if there are any problems. There's no clicking at the hip or feeling of looseness. My 'gentle' PT is thinking in the direction of piriformis. I'm doing some very gentle piriformis stretches. Once a day. Three times pulling the right bent knee towards the left shoulder. Just a tad. Also one where, lying down I push a big blue ball toward my bent knees. It engages the abs with a neutral back. Another one where I sit and squeeze a pillow between my legs. I will still go to the Health club. But only for hanging in the deep part to let my back stretch out, then the jacuzzi and sauna. The heat makes me feel better.
After the time with the PT, I walked (with cane) without any pain in the butt! Magic. But the pain in butt is back this morning after sitting.
 
Do you ice immediately after any exercise? Perhaps sit on the ice pack for 40-50 minutes?
 
I ice quite a bit but am going to try to get on it more. Sometimes it seems to help. Othertimes, no.
 
I hope that your OS is able to help. Enjoy your relaxing at the Health club. Would it help to sit on a cushion? Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @marita, I've just finished reading your thread with great interest because it turns out you are just 3 days ahead of me! I have found myself empathising with you all the way because so much of what you have said resonates with me.
It seems that we all got on this path at varying stages in our lives and for varying reasons, but we all have ended on the same route and it's often difficult not to compare to other fellow travellers.
I too have had the conflicting advice from physiotherapists and health professionals and been quoted the "no exercise is too much" mantra and joined the I've overdone it club. The hardest thing I found is not knowing what you're supposed to be able to do at any given point, am I doing too much or too little and identifying progress made when it is really subtle changes.
Someone suggested Keeping a diary, jotting down small achievements, then when reviewed later it's easier to compare small changes in your own condition without comparing to other people. Works for me- might do for you.
Hope you have a lovely weekend.
 
Hi @marita
It sounds as though you're doing well. I'm happy for you.
Hoping you have a good visit with your OS on Tuesday.
Please update us afterward, if you care to share. We'd love to hear.
We'll continue to be here for you.
Hope your weekend is great!
 
My update: Saw my OS. Had X-rays of both hips. Results: Hips are fine. Operated on hip 'looks solid". Other hip (left) is mild to moderate arthritis (same diagnosis as before). Problem is sciatica, which I guess originates from the back?? Maybe Josephine calls it piriformis syndrome. Doc got it as soon as I showed him the place it hurt when I walked. PT gave me a set of exercises. Doc prescribed Celebrex. And.......(drum roll)... I feel so very much better. I have to keep reminding myself not to get too enthusiastic. I went to a party tonight and danced with my cane!! But not for very long. So, I am back to so far, so good. Trying my best to be careful and go slow.
Thank you all so much for your support.
 
Yay. Marita, hope all is still doing well:yay:
Glad you are Hip pain free.:) :-) (:
 
Last edited:
Doc prescribed Celebrex. And.......(drum roll)... I feel so very much better. I have to keep reminding myself not to get too enthusiastic. I went to a party tonight and danced with my cane!! But not for very long.
I'm taking Celebrex too....good anti-inflammatory without the side effects of the opiods. Was @SaraK there too on the dance floor? :snork: You gals are too much! I would love to be dancing at this point..so jealous.:dancy:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom