THR So far, so good

Up to you entirely but they do seem to be guiding you in a bad direction. They're getting you to do exercises that you don't need as a result of which you are having pain. I think you need my advice!

Well, I guess you and I disagree. I have gone to a number of sites and all recommend exercise (gentle, easy, of course) and many have said that it is a problem if you don't exercise. It behooves one to be cautious of someone who says : you need my advice.

Well, I have to admit I'm a bit of a rebel actually! But don't forget, I have had two knees done and never did a scrap of exercising for either. My surgeon is also a supporter of the 'no exercise' protocol which is where I got it from. We've also had more than one awards for being the best internet resource for TKRs.

I am proof that exercise is not needed to recover, after a horrid 28 day stay and a revision in hospital I was on complete bed rest, not even allowed out for the commode apart from day 4 when the screws dislodged themselves and day 28 when it was a rush job to get me doing stairs before discharge. My left hip is now 20 years old and still going strong, my consultant this time round was astounded at my range of movement in it and has asdvised I need to be cautious initially with my new right hip. I belive I gave my body time to heal from the trauma without the stress of physio at the same time. This time round I’m on day 11, I have not done intentionally any physio although up walking every hour so as not to get stiff, I can get my self into bed easily and my knee bends to 90 deg on demand. I am quite happy with my recovery but each to their own

Hi, I am 8 weeks post op tomorrow. Things are inching along. I still cannot walk without limp and need the cane to walk straight. Good part is that tiny by tiny, I can put more pressure on the operated hip. I do exercises similar to what Fudge was talking about. Do water walking and the crab crouch. I can tell that when the muscles are stronger I think, I think, I will be able to walk well. Doc says my legs are equal length. I do need encouragement because it feels to me as if it is taking a long time.

For those who think they are not exercising, walking IS exercise and possible the hardest exercise. At least that is my experience. Now I pay close attention when I walk to be sure I am using my operated leg as much as I can. Am thinking of starting to use my hiking poles because they keep the body up straight. I used to use them pro op. I liked the posts on Fudge's thread about the walking poles.

Glad you checked in @marita. Walking is very much exercise and good for our overall health. I find keeping my body straight is very important. Many folks on here use water walking. Not sure what crab crouches are. I walked short distances around house without cane to get used to walking without it. Keep working a slow and steady progress.

Going to start outside PT today. Just the evaluation. Had in home PT for six weeks. The new therapy happens in the water and includes water walking. The first time, post op, I got into the water, it felt so very good to be able to walk normally. No limp. This morn I got out of bed and walked unassisted into the living room. Fairly good gait but not perfect. So, it is inching along. Just have to keep cane (for now) and pay lots of attention to how I walk. So much easier to do things in the water. I recommend it.

Thanks Mamma T and olivia. I appreciate the encouragement. Working a slow and stead progress is the reminder I need. Daily. I'm not stir crazy anymore because I can drive. It's good to see the tiniest progress. May I should rename my thread "tiny by tiny".

Olivia and Marta , great to hear your doing so well, I changed my post because I thought Olivia started it and in fact it was Marta, Marta Im down to 2700mg and will drop 650 in the next two days. Keep up with the basic exercises and minimal walks and don't over do it. . Keep us posted ,

Last edited:
Started PT water therapy today (already started the land part on Monday). It's all about water walking. But real carefully and with full attention. Keep my right hip even with the left while moving through the water, keep the size of the paces (left and right) the same, abs engaged, knees soft. Takes concentration. Also do an easy IT band stretch and side walking. That's it! But believe me, does it take concentration! She wants me walking outside only as long and I can keep the gait good. This recovery thing is really something. Had no idea at all that it was going to take this kind of effort. She wants me to practice in the water - every day! But h... I'm committed.

Good job @marita. I agree, making the movements the right way takes concentration. I still have to remind myself to walk heal to toe occasionally. With right hip going I notice I am starting to shuffle with it, so am spending time concentrating on that. Be committed but don’t overdo. :treestar:

Interesting! @marita
I never would have figured exercising in water took so much concentration.
So I guess no fancy dives off the highboard allowed yet :heehee:
Recovery is interesting, moves quickly too. Sounds like you're doing well. Keep it up!
Best Wishes for a :merry christmas: and a happy, healthy 2018!

Downturn today. Sometimes it feels like a roller coaster ride. One day up, the next down. Today is a generally achy day because I have arthritis through a lot of my body. Cold = achy. My walking may be getting a little better but my pain is worse (today). I have it in my hands, too. And neck. Heck. This aging stuff is not for the faint at heart. Today is my 2 month post op anniversary. I have to tell the truth: I thought I'd be a LOT better now than I am. p a t i e n c e.

Hi @marita-I agree, aging is not for the faint at heart! So sorry the arthritis kicked in. While we focus on our hip, there are other things that go on with our body. Is there anything you can take for the arthritis? I use a capsaicin cream for my neck, it seems to help a bit. Patience is needed, but it is hard to practice some days. Hope pain subsides today.

Yep....getting old is not for sissies!
I'm sorry you suffer pain in so many different areas of your body @marita
Sorry also that you're not feeling better. Especially for the holiday.
Hopefully the pain eases and your able to spend some relaxing peaceful time with loved ones.
Warm wishes for a Merry Christmas and continued healing in 2018!

Christmas was fine. Probably mostly because I love my grandsons so much. It's almost as if they can do no wrong in my eyes. I love being with them. Rest of the family was fine as well. I didn't have to cook, just make a salad and be waited on.
I was heartened to read Gretel's posts. She is just a couple of weeks ahead of me from her surgery date. But bilateral! Courageous! Also Mojo who reminded me that it took a long time to get our hips in such a way and that it's just going to take time to get things healed. I don't know how many years I walked wrong, favoring my bad hip. But I do know that's it's not going to just be all over in a few weeks. I feel like I'm learning to walk again.
Heel, toe, heel, toe,
I think about it everywhere I go.
Sitting too long is all wrong. Best to alternate with walking.
I did find out that I'm walking pretty much OK .....when I remember to think. Heel comes down and then you roll up and push off with the big toe. I was afraid I was not doing it right. Also, I have to keep the hips level and not go forward with the right hip. Water walking, I have hands on hips to make sure I'm not leading out with my right hip. I also check walking toward the mirror to see that I don't list to one side.
Love to all of you and thanks for your support.

Aww thanks @marita how lovely of you to say that!
Yes walking in water does take concentration doesn’t it?! It’s getting easier for me now but I have to keep checking on my posture. I’m still moving quite slowly. I can’t move properly if I try to speed up.

Onward and upward...balance working it with plenty of resting it.
2018 will be a good year...

Yes, resting and icing, Mojo333. Icing right now. Generally the water routine feels good. I have an IT band stretch that I just love. It feels so good to stretch out that right side which otherwise seems to get cramped up.
I usually feel much better when I get out of the water, Gretel. Do you?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TKA TROUBLE
Recent bookmarks