TKR So Far So Good

Hey Amab you are sounding so PERKY that I am thinking you are like a Man of Steel! In all seriousness, I am glad things went well and you are getting out of the hospital. You make this sound too easy which we all know it is not. So glad the staff is treating you well ... that makes a huge difference. Sending you good thoughts for your recovery. Take care! ROLL TIDE!!!
 
SadKnee.....thanks....but far from a ." man of steel".... :heehee: because yes, this is a challenge each and every time!

Once home yesterday we just took very easy. I didn't get the CPM going or do any exercises since the PT at the hospital was a good session.
I spent the afternoon and evening icing and elevating.

The swelling increased yesterday since I was on my feet more; swelling about the same this am. Very pleasantly surprised I was able to sleep in our bed; unlike in Feb when I could only get comfortable in a recliner. Very happy with that! I did get up several times as I expected.....that's just a part of the process.

My goals today are to use the CPM, the easy exercises, and ice ice ice while elevated.

Best to all who are rehabbing from TKR!
 
Have taken it slow with the leg exercises, used the CPM a little less than before and made sure to ice and elevate; but swelling is a bear! I think more swelling than I experienced in Feb. Guess each knee reacts differently...... :). Sleeping has been better though, only up once last night and that was for meds. Also 1 Norco rather than 2 is handling the pain.

So, in those first few days of recovery.....all ok at the moment.
 
My first bump in the road with my RTKR.......in my previous posts I touched on the swelling. We'll, It got progressively worse over the weekend. Called my ORS's nurse this am and she had me come right in for the ORS to take a look at my knee. Good thing I went, the blood thinner rxd this time (Xarelto) resulted in some bleeding in the knee joint. As soon as he saw the swelling he had me stop that rx. Will go to a full aspirin like he used to prescribe no too many years ago. I'm hoping this change will produce results soon. He said this'd set me back just a few days. He did mention I was his 3rd patient from last week with these symptoms.

The Norco pain med was dealing me fits this time around. While I've been able to only take 1 every four hours (rather than 2).... I woke up this am with one hellacious hangover!! So during my visit today he rxd Nucynta. Supposed to be a bit better according to their experience. I hope so! The way it's prescribed I may be able to go a bit longer between doses.

Well......as I said, each knee replacement has its own "personality"......and this proves it to me! :)

Bought more ice as we came home. I've been more aggressive with icing than I was in Feb. I believe that paid dividends due to the increased swelling.

Home Nurse visit tomorrow sometime for a blood draw and removal of half the staples. The "journey" continues!!
 
Amab sorry to hear about the swelling :(. That must have been worrisome! Glad you found the cause and got it addressed. Also happy about your new pain medicine ... norcos made me so sick.

Did you have staples last time? I was glued. Have you been able to shower yet Keep icing and elevating and HANG in there! Take care!
 
SadKnee.....Thanks!!

Yes, had staples last time. My incision looks really good ...nice and dry. With the staples showers are off limits for me. Remainder are to be removed next Tuesday and my shower privileges will be restored!

Yeah, the Norco really bothered me this time for some reason. The Nucynta is working nicely so far.
 
I had staples for both knees but I could shower 5d after surgery and I did and it was heavenly.
 
Positive progress since my last update......but my usual impatient self wishes it was even more. The new pain meds have worked well, no adverse affects so far. Our daughter is a Pharmacist and she's "tutored" me on the pain meds front..... :)

Night times have been better for me this time around, regardless, really stiff knee each morning. A friend visited yesterday and he asked about my left knee that was replaced in Feb....he was curious as to any pain associated with it.....told him my right one has taken my mind off any "pain" in my left one.....I'm glad my left one has responded to the extra work it's had as I heal. My strengthening exercises have paid dividends. Also, he was taken aback when he saw my incision and the staples.....got his attention.

In the CPM watching College Football Game Day....what better way to pass the time! We have a neighborhood block party we'll attend for a short time this afternoon. I'll be sure not to overdo.

Best to all!

Roll Tide!!!!
 
Sounds like you are making good progress especially with better pain control. Fantastic. Enjoy the block party.
 
Great progress Amab, take things gently and be patient as it is early days.
Enjoy life in then slow lane for a while.
Hope you enjoyed the party,
Toothfairy x :dancy:
 
Hello Amab, congratulations on a matching pair. I got my second knee done one day after you, so we're kinda like cousins. I just read through your thread to get a male perspective on recovery. We ladies sometimes include about 85 smiley emotions per post. :heehee: It was nice to see you sprinkle in a couple every now and then. I lol at your comparison of Bonesmart to fraternity hazing. Yeah, sometimes we come in all Gong-ho and folks here are like okay. :skep: Lol My new slogan for the miraculous recovery folks is "Don't hate, Wait." Like your wife said, KRS is not for sissy(s). :no-fin: We all learn as we go along.

Glad to hear that your first knee is well along the way to becoming "normal." Glad you got that blood thinner thing straightened. I'm not envious of the swelling, but BOY I wouldn't mind switching to aspirin right about now. This stabbing myself twice a day is getting old. :hissy:

I experienced nausea with my first knee and Oxy. It was an awful experience and anti-nausea meds made me dizzy... Go figure. I'm doing okay with Oxycodone right now, as long as I eat a leg of lamb, a slab ribs, a cheese burger and fries with it I'm okay. :umm: Gonna have to wear a whole in the treadmill as soon as I'm able to though. :yes:

By the way, what is Nucynta? Glad it's working for you. My Oxy is a bit hit and miss this time. I'll get the right cocktail together eventually. :martini:

I apologize for the long post. I'm making up for missing the first surgery. Promise not to post again until you do another knee. :wink:

Hope you're having a kneeeasy day :cheers:
 
Big day tomorrow! I see the lead PT at the ORS's practice tomorrow! Last half of staples to be removed and the start of my outpatient PT! And.....I'll be cleared for showers!!!!!! :happydance: really looking forward to that! Will update again tomorrow sometime following that visit.

Have a super night all!
 
Hi Amab,

This is such great news! So glad they are removing the rest of your staples and you get to take a shower. I bet you are ready for that shower :). I wish your doctor used glue. You can literally shower in two days that way. Oh well some use glue and some use staples. Given your great recovery last time I would say it seemed to work great on you.

Isn't this kind of soon for outpatient PT? Are you driving yourself? Don't overdo you are still in the massive healing stage. Stretches, ice, and healing are in order. Remember you cannot hurry this along :).

Take care and keep up the good work. You have been in my thoughts.
 
SadKnee.....I'm assuming the PT will be the same as last time.....in that first visit once the staples are out he did some very gentle stretching and worked with the knee cap just a bit. This is my third time of PT with him since I rehabbed with him from my reconstruction surgery in 2001 and of course earlier this year. He's good and has been careful not to overdo.

He gets me distracted by talking about college football and puts me thru the paces...... :)

Nope no driving yet....my wife will run me by there in the am.......she's been a tremendous help this time as well. Shes been lugging soo much ice for me....... :) ! That's one thing I've done a bit differently this time....very aggressive with the icing.

Many thanks!
 
Well if he hurts you slug him and he won't make that mistake twice. Your wife sounds like an angel! You are a lucky man :). Let us know how therapy goes tomorrow. Speaking of football, which I never really watch, I had to Google your Roll Tide comment to figure it out LOL. How did we ever do without it ... I guess we had the Encyclopedia Brittanica back then. Talk to you tomorrow.
 
Back from my PT visit this morning. Good news all around! All the staples are out, was an easy process....so a shower awaits me shortly :)

We were quite pleased with my flexion......measured 97 degrees after some gentle stretching. PT had me guess and I was too conservative in that guess, so the 97 degrees was reason for celebration!

So, physical therapy only needed once a week until I follow up with the surgeon later this month. Will just concentrate on the leg exercises I've been doing since surgery. Also......PT said really no need for any more CPM time....... :happydance: !!!!!! I'll be making a call to have that machine picked up later this week.

One more Rx for the Nucynta was written. I anticipate this will be the last time I'll need it rxd . Bionic woman2....this rx is Tapentadol.

Toothfairy and daughter stalker.......the block party was fun. I managed to stay for a bit over an hour then back home to elevate and ice......and most importantly make the kickoff to the Bama game that evening.

So, I believe the icing, elevating, resting, plus concentration on the CPM and exercises all contributed to the positive outcome of today's visit!!

Best to all!

A big ROLL TIDE Day!!!!!!!!!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom