TKR So Far So Good

Hi Amab
great to hear that you are settling into retirement so well and that recovery is still very much on track. It's interesting how we do something and then realize later what we have actually done. When you talked about yard work it hit home..I had actually spent the whole morning out in my garden doing some pruning. it's quite a big job but one I like to do before we go away for an extended holiday...which we plan to do before the end of the month.
The shrubs along the fence line between ours and our neighbours house get quite thick an bushy and I usually get in and give them a massive haircut...takes hours, but gives the neighbour clear vision into our property while we are not home.

So here I am and my knee is fine...maybe I might try using the lawn mower...hmm maybe not might be asking a bit too much :egypdance: . I am still a couple of weeks behind you.

i look forward to reading your posts.

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Amab,

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! I hope you have an AWESOME day. Hopefully you have a bike ride and a BBQ planned today! Take care!

Enjoy your day!
 
5 months post op! All going well; knee still tires after extended activity; occasional discomfort /pain overnight-ibuprofen manages it just fine. I've managed a 10 mile bike ride but that was a couple of weeks ago.

One of my goals at the time of surgery was to be ready for our daughter's wedding, to be able to walk her down the aisle and handle the father daughter dance without worrying about the knee. She was married this past Saturday and all went great. No problem with the steps, although the steps down into the sanctuary did cross my mind. So, the goal was successfully achieved. Naturally a proud Dad!!

Back home now and getting back to our normal exercise routine.

Hope all had a fantastic 4th of July!
 
[Bonesmart.org] So Far So Good
Just a terrific update, amab!!!! How 'bout some pics of you dancing with your daughter----we'd love to see them (or at least one). So happy for you that you were able to meet that goal and are getting on with the business of living with a great new knee! You'll be an inspiration to other kneesies here.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
Congrats amab at walking your daughter down the aisle! Bravo! I am sure she was elated as I am sure you were too!

So glad you are doing so good! 5 months already? Time flies by when you are having so much fun ... LOL :rotfl:

Keep posting and providing updates!!
 
Hello! Just a few days away from the 6 month mark. Left knee continues to improve; getting more bike rides in - managed a 16 mile ride this past Sunday and felt it a bit on Monday. But you know the old saying "you just have to get back on the bike".....we did a 6 mile ride Monday afternoon. Overall pleased with my progress but still need to strengthen the quads in this left leg. I do miss so much being able to run....but the biking, walking, and elliptical will have to do.

But..........the right knee has continued to deteriorate the more I increase my exercise activities, yard work, etc. So.....I just scheduled (yesterday) a Right Total Knee Replacement for 9/10. I did clear that with my wife first!!!!! :) Felt it best to get the RTKR taken care of early enough to be ready for the holidays and our traditional Thanksgiving trip back home. So, lots to do between now and then here around the house, continue to strengthen my left knee/leg in prep for the work on the right knee. When I spoke with the ORS team, it sounded as though they were expecting my call! :shocked:

I know what lies ahead based on our experience with the first surgery. Hopefully it won't be quite as difficult. While the right knee is ready for this, it's still not as severely damaged as my left. The process is in motion and it'll be here before we know it. Besides, college football starts soon so there'll be plenty of games to watch while I recuperate. Downside is I won't get to attend a Crimson Tide game this year (telling my son tomorrow Ill not be able to go with him and our grandson to the mid Sept game we'd talked about). Oh well....Roll Tide!

That's about it from here. Left knee has some pain and stiffness in the mornings but ibuprofen controls that; the right one has its bad days and good days. I will continue to post about my experience on both my "old adventure" and the " new adventure" that will take place very soon.

Best to all!
 
All I can say is WOW. I will write more tomorrow when I am not so sleepy. You are very brave. So happy that you just keep on improving! :bicycle1:
 
Amab I still cannot believe you have scheduled your next one but overall you have done SO VERY WELL with your left knee .... in fact leaps and bounds better than most. You outpaced me in all areas and you were a week later. I think you were more physically fit to begin with though from the way it sounded. Now that you know how it will all work you will be better prepared than even the first time.

You must have been a very good patient for your wife to agree to this which speaks measures about you! If I told my husband I needed another one he would probably run away and never come back.

In the meantime don't try and kick anyone as they may set you back a bit ..... ha ha. Take care and have an awesome weekend! I am just waiting to finish up my work day and then I will be joining the family for a camping weekend. Looking forward to that.
 
I hope you are out cycling and partying before your upcoming operation in September! Take the wife out and wine and dine her a bit so she has some fun too :)! Take care!!
 
SadKnee....thanks!!!

Getting away for a few days this week.....but back in time for the start of college football this weekend. I'll get to see a lot of football games and game replays while I rehab from my next RTKR (now scheduled for 9/17). :)

Had pre op physical today, all good to go!
 
my knee replacement is on Sept 2nd and I am loving reading all these posts...I was really stressed about everything but after reading lots of posts on this forum I feel more settled..though me and pain are not a good mix...not much I can do..going to try to think positive from here on in..........
 
mrs cricklewood.....good luck to you! TKR can be a challenge and each of us heal differently; this site provides a ton of info and perspectives which are so very helpful. With all of this help, recovery will happen! Remember, patience is quite important as is icing, elevating, and rest following surgery.
 
Good luck to you! This is going to be quite an adventure!
 
turtlepoet.....thank you! Anxious to compare my upcoming "September Adventure" to my already experienced "February Adventure".,.,, :)

Good luck to you on your brave bilateral adventure!!!
 
Any words of wisdom after your February 'adventure'? Tips or suggestions?
 
turtlepoet.....words of wisdom, tips, or suggestions....wow!.....:)

OK....follow the advice that you'll receive from the experts on this site! That being said....each of our "adventures" are unique for each of us....while many things are similar; everyone heals at their own pace and improves at their own pace....no one way is either wrong or right....it's individual.

Being sure to ice, elevate, rest, and remember the pain meds are standards to keep in mind. Also, patience, patience, patience, patience....uh...I have to remind myself of that even being close to 7 months out in just a few days for my LTKR and just a couple of weeks away from my RTKR.....

Finally, I believe a good support system is helpful....you'll find that on this site and having it at home will pay dividends as well. Lastly, when you are in the middle of those first few days and weeks of recovery, just remember....it will get better!!

Good luck next week!
 
7 months today since my LTKR and just 12 days away from my RTKR. The left knee is strong and getting stronger. My activities continue to increase, managed a 26 mile bike ride this past Sunday. My knees woke me up early this am....probably a "preview" of some early mornings after my RTKR. Ibuprofen handled the discomfort.

I'm glad my left knee has resonded as well as it has....still a ways to go before its 100%.... Whatever that is following TKR. Regardless, a good decision to have the replacement...

Best to all....
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom