TKR So Far So Good

Hi Amab
Gee what's a wrist after your recovery from the knee :ok: it's a steep learning curve post op but you are going so well and have learned so much about your body and what it really needs to recover you'll be okay.

From what other Bonesmarties have written the transition back to work does a toll but and you just have to monitor the tiredness that might creep in and keep up with your stretches as you incorporate different types of exercise into your workday routines. :cheers:

Take it easy....hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Good PT session yesterday. Flexion improved to 116 degrees. Wish it was a bit better but the therapist said I am doing really well. Plans are to go out for a walk in just a bit. Weather has finally improved a bit. Looking forward to this exercise session.

2 more PT sessions scheduled. I will be reevaluated next week to see if more will be needed. Back to work very soon. Wrist is just fine.

Happy Easter to all!
 
Hey there are a lot of things I would do for your Rom ... even for 90 ... so be HAPPY you are doing so GREAT! I only had 115 before surgery! Happy Easter to you as well!!
 
Nice weather yesterday, so the slow walk on the running trail was very pleasant. Took my time , was out just short of an hour. Knee responded pretty good although a bit sore afterwards . Restful night and not too much stiffness this am. Errands today for an hour or so, knee tired today. PT again on Tuesday.

This continues to be a learning process, each day is different. I have to remember to take my time and not go overboard......patience.
 
Not much to update the past few days. Finished my PT session late this afternoon. Therapist determined I can now just concentrate on home exercises to continue to build the strength in my left leg. Had a nice walk on Sunday then again yesterday. Stayed out about an hour both times. My knee tells me when it is time to stop. Weather here good tomorrow so will get another walk in.

A bit more time off was approved so I will make the most of the time focusing on my exercises. As I have mentioned previously, the 6th/7th week out I noticed the most improvement in terms of reduced swelling, ability to get comfortable, and better sleep overnight. Although I seem to be a bit restless overnight even with the improvement. I am up much less often in the early am hours as I was just a short time ago.

I pass this info along for those still early in the process. I still have to remind myself not to overdo. The Therapist cautioned me on that today; to not do so much to cause an increase in inflammation. So, take heart all, improvement will come.

Take care all! Will report in again when I return to work.
 
Hi Amab, glad to hear things are going well! Enjoy what time you have left before you go back to work :). A one hour walk just two months after a TKR is impressive. Take care.
 
Good luck with your return to work. Remember not to overdo and pamper yourself with ice and elevation if needed when you get home.
 
Well, it must have been the weather change, but my knee was more uncomfortable last night and this morning than its been in a week or so. In fact,my "good knee" was barking this morning as well! Last exercise was a leisure walk Sunday, nothing strenuous.

So, have others noted pain with weather changes after having had TKR?

BTW.....stitches out of my wrist this am. Glad that is behind me....again a piece of cake compared to TKR!!!!!
 
Hi Amab, good to see you are doing well. I had my tkr day after you and I returned to work yesterday, willbe doing 2 or 3 half days a week only for next month as a phased return andi think that should be ok, although yesterday was hard and knee sore and stiff today.

I think the weather here is not helping,south in London and its the coldest march and Easter since records began aparantly! It's still damp and cold now, think we have bypassed spring completely.

Good luck with your recovery. Fernie
 
It's the limitless things we become aware of in this healing process!

I actually had my first full nights sleep last night since the night before my surgery!!!!!! :happydance: it has been a long time coming. I know I spoke of sleepless nights in some of my posts and have noted similar challenges by most everyone in recovery. I must admit I was becoming skeptical on if I'd ever reach this milestone. So, those of you still dealing with sleepless nights... It will come, hang in there....

My return to work date is now set for 4/30......... So continuing to strengthen with more exercise and walks.

Make it a grat day!,,,
 
Hi Amab

so nice to hear about that full nights sleep...it's been a while coming but now you say you've made it i reckon I can hold on a bit longer... :goodpost:

take care ugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Return to work a week from today. All is going pretty well. My walks are getting longer. Did a 3.75 mile walk yesterday. My knee responded very well afterwards yesterday but it was pretty "growly" this morning. I am afraid I am going to have to have another set of Euflexxa injections in my so called good knee. As my activities increase, the "good" knee is almost as sore as my new knee.

Have made the decision to retire in early June. Looking forward to that change.....just more time to continue my Rehab journey.....plus I owe a lot of help around the house to my wife! She took on soooo much during this whole process. :)
 
Hi Amab...glad to hear the knee is enjoying the walks :dancy: I had some time away with the grandchildren so have only been back exercising at the gym this week but I'm happy that it's all going well.

AND best of all my sleep is improving, actually I don't think I'm really conscious of my knee anymore which is quite a blessing. :wink:

My husband retired (well almost retired) at the beginning of this year and I am very grateful for all the support he has been able to give me through this experience. It's interesting because he had to take over all of the household duties for a while he said he appreciates a little more now, how much needs to be done everyday, both inside and outside the home. :heehee:

I hope your return to work goes smoothly and you are able to treat your knee kindly as it readjusts to the work scene. Read Fernies posts...so easy to drop into the ODIC ...but you don't want to go there :scare: :yikes:

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Amab - 3.75 mile walk? Wowee that is quite the distance. Don't let Josephine find out she will say too much too soon! So going to retire in June? That surprised me since you were yearning to go back to work so soon. I am happy for you that you can retire! Did you get a taste of being off work and like it?

My knee always barked when it rained or was cold before. I have not noticed it as much now but of course being in CA the weather is not as cold as back East or in the UK.

Good luck going back to work next week. Let us know how it goes. Take care!
 
Well, returned to work this past Tuesday. All went well; was able to do some work from home a portion of a couple of days. Only found myself in a couple of situations where I had to sit too long. Once I was up and around, my knee responded quite well. Have come down with one nasty cold. I guess being a "hermit" as I recuperated weakened my immune system. My wife thinks I still a bit weak from the surgery and that led to contracting the cold.

I had some conversation with a former coworker who'd had her hip replaced. She remarked about seeing knee replacement folks at her rehab sessions and felt we had a bit steeper hill to climb. Who knows..... Either surgery is a challenge.

My decision to retire was in the works prior to my surgery. Part of my planning process. My decision was made public yesterday and so many have responded with kind words. So, only a few more days and then I will have even more time to strengthen this knee! BTW, saw the surgeon on Monday....he said I was right on target with the healing process.

Best to all!
 
Hi Amab i was wondering how things were going with you, thanks for the update. Glad to hear the return to work is going well...I think you are right about the lowered immune systems that we have and our ability to pick up bugs easily when we start mixing with the masses again :wink: :wink: . Just stick to the game plan and you'll be fine, remember the body still needs a little extra attention it's been doing a great recovery job for you. Take care.

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Closing in on 2 weeks back to work. Even though I have continued the walking I haven't done as many leg exercises as I have needed to do.....shame on me. My knees are barking this morning! Family in town for our sons graduation from college....mowed the lawn and had a very good walk on Friday; yesterday we attended the ceremonies and hosted a houseful of guests for a celebration last evening. On my feet probably too much.

On top of that a I tried riding my wife's bike Friday afternoon following my yard work (my new one is still on order)..... Much to my surprise my left knee wouldn't rotate as much as it needed and I guess I "tweaked" it a bit. Cracked up my neighbor when she saw me riding with 1 leg..... :)

So....bummer, thought I was in better shape than I really am. So, a new emphasis on the correct exercises. I am scheduled to do another round of Euflexxa injections in my right knee starting this week. Still trying to "save" my so called "good knee" for sometime. I hope it works...

Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mom's out there!!!!!!
 
Hi Amab, I really liked your message but was too busy yesterday to respond but your Mothers Day message was very bright and appreciated!!

You have had an amazing recovery and have been able to do so much but you are still healing so don't be so hard on yourself. Going back to work takes up a lot of your time so you are doing all that you can.

I hope you can save your other knee for as many more years as you can :)!!!!

Glad everything is going well for you. Lemme know if you ever come to SoCal and I would be happy to take you and your wife to lunch. Take care and keep up the GREAT healing!!
 
4 months post op today! Things are going pretty well with the knees. I've been able to resume all yard work chores; continue with my walks-up to 4 miles; helped my son by mowing his lawn while he was away doing Army stuff-it was a challenge due to all the rain we've had, a 4 hour job! My knees did ok, the ground was soft and helped cushion the walking behind the mower.

Took my first extended ride on my bike last night, about 5 miles-My range of motion is pretty good but it took some time to loosen up and for the ride to become comfortable, I positioned my foot on the left pedal in a fashion that helped with the comfort level; the knee is sore this am, but I expected that. More rides will help improve this.

I completed the Euflexxa injections for my right knee last week. It seems to be helping. The Surgical Assistant observed that I can pretty much expect having a matching pair of artificial knees! He smiled when he said they were letting me "forget" what I went through with my left knee.....I assured him that I'd never forget that "journey"!

I retired at the end of May, so I plan to continue to work on improving my left knee as much as possible since I will have more time on my hands. The "honey do" list is long.....those tasks will help keep me active.....but I can sit and rest when the legs tire.

A rambling post I know but for those just starting the recovery, a bit of an idea of what you might expect at 4 months. I have been fortunate in my recovery despite the typical pain, swelling, lack of sleep, etc. The info on this site has been a big help and I have referred several friends to Bonesmart since they are facing surgery....

Best to all!
 
Hi Amab,

Great informative post! I would have replied sooner but I have been in Vegas all week. You have done so well. Glad you are able to go for long bike rides again. You really have been a poster child for knee replacement and I mean this is in a good way. That's a bummer you are going to have to do it for your other knee :( down the road but at least you know what to expect and that you will make it through OK!

Ha ha on the honey-do list! I bet it is long. Hopefully you will have time to do some fun things too!

Your posts will give ones on the other side that they CAN and WILl get through this to live a normal life. This past month has been much better for me too!

Keep posting updates on how life is going! Take care!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom