TKR So Far So Good

Hi Amab

so good to hear about the walking sounds like something else to aim for...I get tired just standing for too long so long walks make me a bit hesitant. How wonderful to be out and about on such a nice day. Enjoy.

Gami :friends: :flwrysmile: :dancy:
 
[Bonesmart.org] So Far So Good
Just standing around is much harder and more uncomfortable than walking and will be for a while--you sort of have to work up to it. I would be fine walking and pushing the cart in the grocery, but had to sort of dance around in a circle when waiting in line to check out.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] So Far So Good
 
Good night last night. We hope to drop by our favorite Irish Pub today for a bit of St Patty's Day celebrating,

PT tomorrow and follow up with my surgeon. Anticipate setting a return to work date. I feel I need at least another week and then return 1/2 days for a short time. We shall see.......
 
Have fun at the pub Amab! Back to work so soon? If you have any flex you may want to take a few more weeks if you can. Take care and have fun today!
 
SadKnee....that's my hope....another week or two. My company monitors long absences pretty closely and 3/18 happened to be their follow up date just as my surgeon's. we shall see....this is my very first time to be out so long in a 36 year career with this organization. That'll count for something.....
 
Amab, I see no reason for you to rush back. Take this time you may never get it again. Once you go back they will want their 150% from you. If this is your longest absence in 36 years you should be comfortable somewhat to take the time you need. My company monitors closely too and my original plan was to return in 6 to 8 weeks and that is not going to happen. i am now looking at closer to 3 months. A TKR is not a normal surgery. Enough nagging at you. Only you will know if you can go back or not.
 
Hi Amab
I hope things go well with the OS and your company...try and get the extra time ...as SadKnee said their expectations might be quite high when your go back...so be sure you feel well recovered and able to handle what might seem like long days. :ok:

You're doing so well...keep ahead of the game....your knee you write the story. :friends:
hugs Gami
 
Enjoyed our Pub time on St. Pats Day yesterday, although my knee tired and stiffened after sitting for as long as we did. Took care of an errand after our meal and ran into friends. We stood and talked for a while....had to sit for a while....ouch.

Surgeon visit went well today. He was very pleased with my progress. His nurse phrased this as " graduation day"!! XRays revealed all is in order with the knee implant! No need for a cane now. Scheduled 3 more weeks of PT, I can incorporate treadmill and elliptical time. Dr. agreed that at least 2 more weeks away from work to concentrate on continued improvement is appropriate. I will supplement my exercises with short times on treadmill and elliptical.

Need a minor op deal done next week, so Dr advised to use Tylenol during this time vs. ibuprofen or aspirin. Also, To help sleep use a couple of Benadryl along with the Tylenol. If sleep doesn't come with that, ok to take a Norco to help.



All in all a good visit, although I am a bit sore from the PT. Anxious to continue this journey so I can get back to our active lifestyle!


:)
 
Managed about 25 minutes total on treadmill and elliptical today.....the elliptical actually felt pretty good. Very little resistance and minimal incline. Time on the treadmill was a slow pace with no elevation. Also did my exercises. Just a bit stiff. But not too bad overall. The real verdict will be overnight.......keeping my fingers crossed!
 
Offline for a couple of days. PT today; moved to a couple of the weight machines to do movements with light weights. Seemed to go pretty well! Iced and elevated but knee is a bit sore and stiff. Therapist was conscious of not over doing. Cautioned me of the potential soreness due to the use of weights. It'll be a Norco night. The Tylenol pm has not been cutting it for me. Up until 1:30 am this am....finally slept once I took a pain pill. Hoping for a better night tonight.

Best to all in their recovery journey!
 
Hi all!

Took it easy yesterday, was able to sleep in a bit this am. Pretty much house confined today due to storm "Virgil".....very good exercise session today, 1 mile walk on treadmill, 1 mile on elliptical plus stretching exercises concentrating on knee flexion. Up and down the stairs 10 times.

Now reading paper while icing. My knee just told me......."whoa....you woke me up"......ice is helping........ :yay:
 
Up and down the stairs ten times WHAT one after another. You sure do like your exercise dont you. Its weird isnt trying to climb the stairs properly again. I tend to hand onto the rail and then think Nope you can do it. I was so fed up with the one step at a time. Hopefully your storm has passed and you can get out again. Good to hear youre progressing well. Graduation all done an dusted. How are you coping walking without the cane. I still like to use it if Im in a busy shopping area.Im still nervous when theres lots of crowds. Nice to catch up. Take Care
 
Hi Amab
you are powering along now...nice to watch your progress and see it all happening just a few more weeks down the track for me. My home has stairs and I use them a number of times throughout the day so I guess the exercise has just become part of my daily routine now. I am finding it much easier to go up and down with alternate legs although by evening when the muscles are a bit fatigues I revert to one at a time...seems the strength in my quads goes first. :gaah: However I'm not complaining It wasn't that long ago I couldn't even manage one step...just takes time doesn't it....keep up the rehab youare going great :dancy: :happydance: :yay:

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
It is great to read of your progress! We, too, have been affected by the storm---no school today---I am glad to also read that you are listening to the knee and icing/resting/elevating. Keep up the great work!
 
Had another good workout session today, pretty much a repeat of yesterday. So positive progress. PT is scheduled for tomorrow, looking forward to see if I have improved over last week. Had to spend time today on some red tape between my employer's disability monitoring firm, my Dr's records area, and my supervisor. All is in order as far as I know. Just disappointed in having to worry about that. I am anticipating returning to work most likely 4/8. I believe I will be ready by then once the extended PT time has been completed.

Nearly 10 inches of snow in our part of the world due to "Virgil". My sons came by early this am to clear the drive and walks so their Mom could make it to work. Fortunate they are close by to help out. We are always involved with one project or another and we spent a lot of time training for road races. I will miss doing that with them......and especially the run/walk outings with my wife....biking will have to replace the running. Maybe back to the pool this summer also.

Have a minor OP procedure sometime Wed am. Nothing serious, just taking care of a nuisance. Should be a "piece of cake" compared to the TKR!!

Someone asked about use of the cane, I keep it handy for crowded places as a just in case. I have been issued temporary handicap card, primarily for when I return to work. It's a pain getting a parking space these days.

That's all from here. Appreciate the interest.
 
Today's outpatient surgery on my wrist. Went like a piece of cake compared to my TKR! Same surgeon did the work today. Very pleased with him and his entire practice.

This additional couple of weeks off from work have made a tremendous difference. Much wisdom in not trying to go back too quickly. Yesterday's PT was a good work out. While not painful, I was still a bit sore. PP tomorrow and I have ask the therapist that we concentrate on stretching while my wrist is healing.

Things are starting to come together. I would never have thought it possible particularly in those first few days of recovery. Still a ways to go but the light is definitely at the end of the tunnel.

Regards to all!
 
Pleased you got the op out of the way and now you can just concentrate on recovering. You always seem to enjoy your physio. I dont. But we are both getting there which is the important thing. Take Care
 
Hi Amab, I missed some of your postings! It looks like you are still going strong and doing fabulous! You are like the poster patient for a TKR! Well done!

I am sorry you had to go through that red tape. I have to keep a sharp eye on the firm that monitors my company's leave as well. They sent me a note requesting additional certification after 4/15 even though my doctor told them 5/1. I had to talk to my manager this week and tell him I am not coming back on 4/15 and it won't be until 5/1. Just found out I am not getting my disability check as my doctor's office never sent it to the state even though they told me they did. Have to rush it down to them today. All I can say is take the time you need!!

Very happy your second operation went well on your wrist! Did they give you antibiotics after as a preventive measure? I hope so.

I am sure that your sons will go biking with you instead of you running. So glad they came over and helped clear the snow or I am sure you would have been out there!!

Take care!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom