Guest viewing is limited

TKR So Far So Good

Hi Amab
I'd like to think the end of daylight saving will restore my sleep...hanging more hope on tomorrows massage though. Glad it still going well.

take care Gami :egypdance: :flwrysmile:
 
Amab so good to hear an update from you. Glad you got your staples out. That is great you are now using a cane. So sorry you had to wait so long for a shower.
 
Question.....generally how long is swelling an issue following TKR? I'm 5 weeks post op tomorrow, took it easy yesterday, had a so so night....this am, the knee is swollen more than when I went to bed last night. Just curious as to what others have experienced. I know it's different for each of us, but wondered if there's an end in sight to the swelling.

Happy Monday to all!
 
Knee swollen again this am. PT this afternoon, will inquire then. Others experiencing similar situation? Or just a part of the healing process?
 
Hi amab, the swelling is the most interesting thing about this recovery. In the first few weeks the more activity I did the more swelling i got. But at 22 weeks post op now im finding if I dont do enough exercise the more swelling I get. I didnt think I would be getting swelling at 4 months but its defnitley there. I am still icing and elavating when it gets bad. From reading the different posts on here I think thats the norm for most people. As your wife so truly said, TKR isnt for sissies. Hardest thing ive ever done. Hope you are having a good day. You seem to be getting on really well with the exercises and stairs. Well done you.
 
Hi Amab
How long the swelling lasts for..sorry don't know but we will find out as time passes won't we. Interesting I had a massage yesterday and was talking about the pain and swelling in the night and the young man said well maybe when it happens in the night and it wakes you up it really does need you to get up and move around a bit to help the circulation. Does it feel better in the night if you get up and move around ...mine does...so he could just be right. :ok:

Hope your day is a good one
Gami :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
PT went well; flexion improved to 109 degrees; was able to do full rotations on the stationary bike!! Worked on navigating steps the "normal" way....

Therapist said to not be surprised if the swelling would be a challenge for a couple of months yet....reminded the icing to help. Knee is doing pretty good since pt session this pm. Here's hoping for a more restful night.
 
Great report!
Now here's hoping you have a restful sleep!
 
Only up once overnight! So, some improvement....still quite a bit of tossing and turning though. Knee swollen more again this am than later last night. Loosening now in prep for my morning exercise session.
 
Morning Amab sounds like things might be improving a little on the sleep front hope it continues I'm not recommending Toothfairy's fairy dust ...she's had a bad batch and had stopped production for a while but I heard she is ready to spread it around again...best go with whatever is working for you :yay: .

Yesterday at the gym I finally got to do a complete forward and backward rotation on the bike...i almost didn't believe it the first time my knee slipped over the top. I didn't do too many as I was worried I might overdo it...but it felt so good. :spin: :spin: Little achievements on our journey are so good aren't they.

I had lunch out with my sister but ws totally whacked so slept in the afternoon...and here I am at 2am chatting..making a definite effort not to worry about it too much. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Amab I think sleep will come just as our movement is returning...with patience.

Hope your day is a good one with lots of smiles Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hello Amab, I have just caught up with your thread. It sounds like you are making very good progress. Keep up the good work and take it easy,
Toothfairy x :cheers: :egypdance: :happydance:
 
:sigh: up well before dawn this am.....had hoped for a better night based on how well overnight Tuesday had gone. Oh well.....was so restless had to get up to avoid disturbing my wife anymore than I already had.

PT this afternoon......
 
Hi Amab
yep I definitely share that '''wish I were asleep frustration" . I have a great waking pattern but would love to switch it to a sleeping pattern that didn't include 2am... :yahoo:
However after a big day yesterday when I went for my first swim I had an earlier night but it hasn't made an difference..here I am. :mcoffee: Husband is blissfully snoring away upstairs, but that's okay, his life is out of routine as well, guess we've just got to ride it out.
Hope you have a comfortable day
take care Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi gami and amab Have you asked your doctor for something to help you sleep? I know sleeping tablets for general use are out of favour for good reasons but sometimes a short course can nudge things back into a normal pattern. Maybe worth a try?
It is so miserable not sleeping.
Wishing you both deep and peaceful slumbers,
Toothfairy x :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :flwrysmile:
 
I was sleeping OK but last night I got up in the night and took some pain medicine but it didn't help so I then had to take another one and finally fell asleep when that kicked in. I hope we all sleep better tonight!

Amab, how did your PT go today?
 
PT went well yesterday, actually a new therapist was a bit "easy" on me. Still was somewhat sore afterwards. I was lucky that Ibuprofen took care of the discomfort. AND......drove for the first time since surgery!!!! :happydance:

Bit the bullet last night and only took ibuprofen prior to bed time. Up only once; probably my best night since before surgery. Rested well. Crossing my fingers that is a good sign.

Weather better here, planning a walk on the running trail we have in our community. It's all asphalt and I know every mile of the trail since that is where we ran to train for our 1/2 marathons and 10Ks.......looking forward to the time outdoors. How my knee responds will determine if I can handle the time on my feet tomorrow to attend our community's St. Pats Day Parade and if I can manage a cold one Sunday with my family at the local Irish Pub! :cheers:

The only bummer this St. Pats Day is I won't be able to run in the St Pats Day run as I always have.....oh we'll...

Happy St. Pats
 
[Bonesmart.org] So Far So Good
There's always next year, amab. It certainly sounds as if things are going well for you. Don't walk too far----remember you have to travel the same distance back. And you might what to take something you can sit on at the parade. Standing for any length of time is harder than walking in the beginning. But if you don't over do, I think you'll be able to raise a glass on Sunday at that Irish pub!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] So Far So Good
 
Nice outing. Walked for 50 mins, stopped and sat for a while half way thru. My Garmin registered 1.78 miles. Icing knee now. Let's see how it responds........ :)
 
So so night last night. Up early to ice my knee a bit; was able to sleep for a while following that. Had an early appointment this am; back on sofa elevating and icing. Ibuprofen didn't help much at all last night; since I had to drive this am, I avoided the Norco.

Weather marginal this am; have decided to skip today's parade......
 
Back
Top Bottom