TKR So Far So Good

Since my range of motion in my left knee is a bit less than my right I'm having to place my foot on the pedal differently than my right.
The flexion needed to ride a bike isn't that much. So I'd have two concerns here; first, that flexion could be improved, second about sitting on the bike not quite straight.
 
Since my range of motion in my left knee is a bit less than my right I'm having to place my foot on the pedal differently than my right. I think I need to adjust my seat height some. Suggestions anyone?
I would keep the seat at a height that is comfortable for you---and for the knee that is a little lagging in the ROM.
've also noticed my right leg continues to be slightly stronger than my left which was the case prior to surgery. Will still work a little more on my left quad muscles during my weight lifting sessions.
Looking back after my BTKR, my right leg was a little behind the left one---but it eventually caught up in term of strength and stamina.

That is a great report! It is wonderful to read of your progress and of your attitude---you have helped out many of those folks who are going through the dark days of recovery now---they can see what awaits them!
 
2k yards in the pool today! Swam with my daughter. She was a competitive swimmer in high school and college. She is so smooth and finished 3K yards before I finished my session......:swim:
 
Well darn!!

Only had time for 15 minutes on the bike trainer today; felt good to begin with and positioned my feet as I normally do; but when I got off the bike my left knee felt a little tight; finished up with a quick walk on the treadmill as I usually do- the knee was tight to begin with but loosened back up for the 15 min walk. Mentioned to my wife I felt some stiffness in the left knee.

Trouble set in after my shower! Swellling started to set in. But, I had an errand to run and clear the end of the drive after the snow plow went by. By the time I'd finished with the snow & driven to the store for my errand the knee had stiffened and swelled even more. To the point it was difficult walking. I shuffled around the store behind a shopping cart; finished up and headed home. Stiffness still bad; had to do stairs one at a time bringing back memories of the early days of recovery. Swelling is on both the inside and outside of the knee and even some on the back.

I've been icing and elevating and it has helped some; also have taken some ibuprofen. So, quite the diasappointment!! My left knee does not have the rom of my right one; the only thing I can think I did on the bike was to over flex the knee. Could I have done my very own Manipulation w/o anesthesia???? :bignono:

Hoping it'll improve by morning and this isn't an indication of things to come. Things have been going so well with the knee(s) maybe it's just a brief bump in the road.
 
I think you overdid it, @amab . Can you give your knee a holiday and cut right back on your activities until it settles down? Rest, ice and elevate, of course.
 
Uh....Duh.....ODIC!

Was better this am; good enough to do a swim; only in the water for about 45 minutes; swelling set back in as soon as I finished. :censored::censored:

Was able to see an associate of my ORS; X-rays were negative for any damage.......uh, overuse....go figure! :snork:
Will not ride or use treadmill for a week; swim ok and a Rx of steroids to reduce the swelling.

You'd think I'd learn after 2 years!!!!!
 
Update from last week.....Swelling went away in just a couple of days with icing/elevating. The steroids did their magic and I was feeling fine by early in the week. I did swim MWF, going easy on Monday but increased intensity on Wed and Friday; the knees responded just fine. I also did 15 mins on my bike trainer today, easy going, it did take me a good 5:00 to loosen up, there were no problems afterwards.

I'll resume my schedule next week.....but not over do!!! Lesson learned AGAIN!!!!! :tada:
 
Race day for my first Sprint Triathlon is tomorrow. Training has been going well except for that left knee issue a few weeks ago. The walks have been going just fine. An additional challenge tomorrow is the weather forecast - rain, wind, mid 50's temps. The swim portion is in a pool then to the outdoors for the bike ride and walk (run for the others). Looking forward to the challenge to see how these 2 artificial knees respond! I may be last in the group but at least I hope to say I did it! Just like the challenge of TKRs!!

Best to all!!
 
Finished the event yesterday in under 2 hrs (300 yd swim; 13 mile bike ride; 5K walk for me; all others ran the distance); weather conditions were very challenging with heavy rains prior to the start and winds of at least 20 mph throughout. Naturally half of the bike ride was directly into the wind....tough going!

But I finished; first big event since both TKRs. My knees held up very well. Wasn't last but not by much. Still a positive outcome.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well done @amab ! It's still early days in terms of a full recovery too, so can you reward those great knees with a few days of rest? They deserve it!
 
Completed my second sprint triathlon the Saturday before Mother's Day! Went better than the first one I described above; longer swim, same distance bike ride, and a 5k. Finished in 1:51......and.... I let my excitement get the best of me and "jogged" down the Shute to the finish line! My wife yelled at me and wanted to know what the heck I was thinking.…..uh, heck isn't the "H" word she used.....:snork:

Knees held up just fine....

Best to all!!
 
Wonderful to hear how well your knees are doing! Sounds like you have many Triathlons in your future, though slow down for the 5k, important to keep your wife happy.
 
Lunched with a good friend earlier this week who is contemplating TKR; he's been on the fence for quite sometime and has even cancelled a couple of times; provided him with the link to this site and we discussed the good and challenging parts of TKR recovery; he's to let me know what he decides; earliest it be would be Oct range.....
 
My friend I mentioned in my 8/8 post is scheduled for his TKR on 10/20; I also put him in touch with another former coworker who just celebrated his 1st anniversary of his TKR.....

BTW.....tomorrow morning marks the 2nd anniversary for my RTKR....how time flies!! All is well with my right knee as well as with my left knee. I did experience a flare up of my left knee last winter...I was overdoing the physical activity training for a sprint triathlon....I backed off and it cleared up.

Many of those here are very early in their recovery; it can be frustrating at times I know; but it does get better and you'll be amazed what you can do and how much better you feel...best of luck to all in their recovery journey!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom