TKR So Far So Good

My friend had his TKR as scheduled; he had an especially tough first week with some additional bleeding, hematoma, etc....thus he "slowed" down his approach and is now @110 degrees; I keep "preaching" patience since he is anxious to be fully recovered; I continue to pass along the learnings from this site!!!

Back in central Alabama for the holidays; ironically my wife and I did our walk this am where I made my final decision to do my LTKR 3 years ago; that walk and attempted run was so painful; the hills, especially going down the steep inclines were unbearable; I joke with my wife that she took on the route and abandoned me....of course that was untrue.....:snork:

Today's walk was no problem with the knees....but I think I'm starting to feel some of the same discomfort in my right hip....hoping not sign of things to come; also hope the overcompensation with my left knee all those years hasn't affected my right hip like it did my right knee....keeping our fingers crossed on that!!!

Happy Holiday Season to all!!!!
 
Today marks the 3rd anniversary for my LTKR......crazy how time flies!!

I've been able to complete several flooring projects and a landscaping project; all required a lot of time on my knees. Although I'd be tired and a little sore at the end of the day I chalked that up to my age!!! :snork:

I'm also continuing my exercise regime (swimming, biking, weights, and walking) and hoping to do another sprint triathlon this spring.

I did post about a year ago about a slight set back I had with the left knee....it was simply overdoing the exercises; caused the knee to swell and become painful; Surgeon confirmed no damage to the joint....he reminded me to not over do!! Fortunately, I've had no other episodes....guess I learned....

Many of the folks here are early in their recovery....it does get better, patience is a virtue, and....not overdoing is important...I have to remind myself of that every day.

Best to all here and especially to all of you early in your recovery process.....
 
@amab Thank you so very much for coming back and posting! You have done many folks a great service---those who are in the middle of a tough recovery or the "Dark Days" of recovery can now see what awaits them!
Many of the folks here are early in their recovery....it does get better, patience is a virtue, and....not overdoing is important...I have to remind myself of that every day.
Again, thank you very much for the great report and the encouraging words!
 
Been a while since I posted any comments.....knees continue to do well - got a 4 mile walk in during the day this past Wednesday...good swim in early this am.

But, had to have some dental surgery today-a problem with an upper tooth was noted in my 6 month cleaning last week; it was necessary to have the tooth extracted and have an implant put in; my knee surgeon has me take antibiotics prior to a routine cleaning. So I went ahead and took them today prior to the procedure. All went ok; local anesthetic; the dentist is also an MD; he rx'd antibiotics for 21 days and stressed the importance of taking all the meds (which I will certainly do!). It was an interesting experience today. With all the drilling, tugging etc on just a tooth I'm glad I was asleep for my TKRs......:snork:

So I not only have titanium in my knees but some in my mouth as well!

Tough first half of the year family wise; my wife's mom passed away in early January and my father passed away in mid May after being diagnosed with lung cancer in mid March following a fall and upper arm fracture. He was O2 dependent and his conditioned worsened so very quickly. Hospice care takers were absolutely wonderful for both my dad and mother in law. She was 93 and dad had just turned 87 only 2 days after his fall....

Trying to get back to "normal"......

Best to all of those in their rehab following TKR!!!!
 
I am sorry that life has been so difficult. Implants are difficult in that they require so much time for healing before the tooth can be implanted. I am glad that your knee is doing well, at least.
 
3 year "anniversary " for my RTKR is today! All continues to be fine with both knees!

Spent a week @Disney in early July and the knees held up great with the miles of walking the parks. My exercise routines are on track although my bike time has been limited.

So...."So Far So Good" continues

Best to all, especially all of those in the early stages of recovery !!!!
 
Wow! I slipped up!!! Celebrated my 4th anniversary with my Left TKR on 2/5/17. I suppose the knee is doing well enough for me to "forget" about it! Which is a good thing. The only "complaint" is the ROM affects my foot placement on the pedal of my bikes....continue to swim, bike, walk, and weight train. Plan is is to do another sprint triathlon at the end of April. Perhaps a couple others over the course of the summer....walking the "run" portion of the events.

So Far So Good
 
Glad to hear you're still doing well.

My condolences for the family deaths early last year.
 
Well, here I am just a few days short of my 4th anniversary for my RTKR. Both knees continue to be just fine! I did complete a sprint triathlon in April. Improved my performance from the last time....BUT....I was the only one with my bike helmet on backwards!!!! :loll::loll:Also, we have a new Vizsla puppy and the increased walking has not had an adverse affect on the knees-those walks will get longer the older she gets!

However, I'm now scheduled for a hernia repair on 9/28. Saw the surgeon yesterday (someone we've used in the past) so it's all set for an outpatient setting; hope to be back up to speed soon....no heavy lifting for 6 weeks according to him. Will be an open procedure vs via scope. In doing some reading I saw some familiar advice....."don't fool yourself and overdo"!!! So it applies to hernia repair just like TKR!

Question....should I let my ortho surgeon know about the upcoming procedure? I see no references to pre surgery antibiotics; my general surgeon is fully aware of my TKRs because we discussed during my consult with him yesterday.

Several projects to complete before the procedure;

Best to all in those early stages of TKR recovery!
 
Today marks my 5th Anniversary for my LTKR....continues to do well for the most part; however since the fall I have experienced periodic episodes of intense pain under the kneecap; for whatever reason it'll be very painful especially going up and down stairs; have had one of those episodes all day today; crazy thing is I will go for a week or two or even more with no pain; and then like today ouch!!!

My activities continue to be the same so no change there; have done a little reading and I'm wondering it it's an issue with the button placed when I had the surgery. Does anyone have any thoughts? Patellofemoral problems? I guess a follow up with my surgeon may be in order.
 
ameb,
Glad to hear you are doing well for the most part. I agree a consultation with your surgeon is in order.
 
Did you actually fall down on your knee or do you mean the autumn time? I agree that you should see your OS.
 
Autumn time of the year is when it started. Today....no pain/discomfort whatsoever; which is the confusing part....painful for a few days then none.....crazy.

Uh....actually the 5th anniversary form my LTKR was on 2/5 (not 2/7 as I indicated last night...duh...should've looked at the dates in my signature; a "senior" moment evidently....;0)
 
I lot of us have those senior moments! Have you noticed your knee pain could be weather related?
 
Not really, the issue began before winter temps set in.....good thought though.
 
I had an appointment on Monday; went even though the knee had been fine for 10 days or so; X-rays revealed nothing; medical staff recommended calling them the next time it flared up...which it did late yesterday; fine first thing this am but it became painful by mid day today; called the surgeon; I will have a cat scan soon; orders sent to the facility this afternoon. Will know more once those results are available; decided to consult my surgeon first then consider a second opinion once any particular treatment is recommended. So...more to come.
 
Had the ct scan early this afternoon; doubt I'll hear anything more today; expect to have an appointment early next week; the knee was fine all day today; not sure what to make of all this....
 
CT scan results were normal; hardware is solid with no signs of loosening also no signs of any infection. Based on symptoms and xray/CT scan results appears scar tissue is the culprit.

Trying to decide at the moment to have the knee scoped and have the scar tissue removed. Or just deal with the problem each time the knee flares up.

Had a bit of an episode yesterday; fine today.

If scoped would expect to have some swelling afterwards so back to icing and elevations; probably a month before I'd be back to my usual routine; surgeon provided the normal advice on what to be concerned about and that the possibility the scar tissue could return; outpatient procedure.

Would scar tissue removal help with better ROM? My left knee does not have the ROM compared to my right one.

So now...decision time
 
Back
Top Bottom