TKR So Far So Good

@daughter stalker .....hello! Thanks for checking in!!! All is going pretty well (except for all the darned snow and cold!!)! Another 3-4 inches overnight.....have to clear the drive in a few.....:gaah:

Knees are doing good; hit the 1 year mark for my LTKR in early February, will be at 7 months with my RTKR in just a few days. I've been fortunate on the positive progress with both....of course with some challenges along the way.

I've taken up swimming since I can't run anymore. A good friend who is a Masters Swimmer Team coach has been providing instructions. Our daughter is also sending me advice....she was a competitive swimmer in HS and College. Swimming is a challenge.....but one that I'm determined to improve on.

Weather did break a bit and I've been able to get in a couple of outdoor walks. Last week 's walk even included helping a neighbor track down her "escaped" Golden Lab named Toby. We were finally successful in that adventure......:). Yesterday's walk was my best yet....did a 5k at a 16 minute/ mile pace. My goal is a 15 min pace. My wife reminded me I'm still only 7 months out on my right knee....:).

Contemplating making my way back to Tucsaloosa in mid to late April to watch the Tide's spring game. Thought of that since I missed getting to any games last fall due to my RTKR. But, I do have season tickets for this fall, so we'll make up for last year.

Well, that's about it here. How about you? How is your progress coming along?

Gotta run (uh....walk....) to clear a path on the drive, drive my wife to work so she doesn't have to worry about this messy snow; then off to the pool f or my midweek swim.

Take care......and.....Roll Tide!!!!!
 
Roll Tide Roll! Glad you are doing well. I am doing well. I am getting used to hearing the sound of ripping Velcro emanating from my right knee. Not doing too much. Just the stationary bike.
None of this:snow dig: for me! :heehee: It reached 78 degrees today. Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
Today was the first time in months I didn't wear snow boots for either snow, ice patches or lately puddles. Sweet.
Great walk, amab!
 
Coming up on 7 months post RTKR.....how time flies!!!!

Finally nice weather today.....so a busy day of exercising; did a swim session this am....1200 or so yards with some instructions from my friend who is a Masters Swim coach; heading to the weight machines now for an easy workout; then a short bike ride.....this'll be the first time I've been on my bike since the day before my RTKR. Will keep it a relatively short. I'll be curious to see how I feel later this evening. Overdoing it....?....perhaps but I gotta give it a try.......:)

:bicycle1:

For all of you in recovery.....time makes the biggest difference in your healing process.....you can become even more active as you get into a year or so post surgery. Hang in there.....you'll be biking, walking, or swimming in the near future!

Best to all and Happy Easter Season!!!!
 
Hi Amab,

Glad you are doing well and staying active! Swimming sounds great. I need to join a pool. Sounds like life is good once you retire. Thanks for sending out the Happy Mothers Day wishes! Take care!
 
@SadKnee .....thanks for the well wishes! How goes it for you? Hope all is well with the knee and your job! I highly recommend retirement.......:heehee:!!!!

Swimming has been and continues to be good exercise. It's still a work in progress for me; lots of practice to build the stamina and improve technique. We did a 5k this past weekend; small, fund raiser type of deal; walked it naturally; finished just under 44 mins. My wife took first place in her age group!!! We may walk in the Steamboat Classic in June (the 4 mile event)with a goal to finish in an hour. I ran that event several times over the years.

Frankly, I need to get back to "training for an event" (a type A kinda thing I suppose). I may attempt an AquaBike event in 2015. It's a swim/bike combo event usually held in conjunction with some triathlons.......but my swimming has to dramatically improve. Oh well, something to think about anyway.

Best to you!
 
I saw my surgeon late last week for my "one year follow up".....@10 months on my RTKR and 17 months for my LTKR. X-rays showed all is in order.

Dr spent some time going over the X-rays with me to explain why I've had some discomfort on the inside of my right knee....arthritis....; also the X-ray of my left knee showed the "additional hardware" he had to use to balance the knee. He went over this with me when I discussed less range of motion in my left knee compared to the right one. Interesting learning session and I could clearly see the difference between the X-rays of both knees.

No additional follow needed unless I'd have a problem. Very active with swimming; biking; walking; resistance weights; and all of my outdoor yard projects; some of which I've had to be on my knees to accomplish. That very good pair of professional knee pads worked out very well.

I've mentioned before but for anyone reading this who may be early in the healing process....it does get better and it's amazing what a person can do with knee transplants. So hang in there; be patient; be diligent with your exercises but not too excess or overdoing it.....the investment will pay dividends!!!!

Best to all!
 
Great report, thanks for taking the time to post your update!


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Hard to believe but I'm now 1 year post op for my RTKR!! How time flies! A friend is just now 2 weeks post op for his first TKR....listening to him describe his experience brought back to mind the challenges I faced during those early days of recovery (challenges all TKR patients face).

As I've mentioned previously, so very glad I had both knees replaced; the only thing I've not been able to resume is my running. I've made a conscious decision not to resume that activity; but all my other activities such as home projects, swimming :swim:, biking :bicycle1:, exercising :treadmill:,:walking:, etc. are all full speed ahead. Had I not "experienced" TKRs....it'd been very difficult to remain as active as I'd like to be.

Best to all; will continue to contribute here and be a "TKR Mentor" to my friend as his journey continues....
 
Wow! So happy to hear that you're doing well. I so appreciate you taking time to return and tell your success story. These good words are read by members and guests alike here on BoneSmart and they are so important to people who may just be learning they are going to need a knee replacement. Stories like yours offer comfort and a vew of what is to come for them after surgery. Please hang around if you can and tell us more details about all you're up to these days!!
 
@daughter stalker .....Thank You......great avitar!!!!!

Yes, time flies when you are having "fun"......

Heading to Bama-Fla Gator game this weekend! Last game I was able to attend was in 2012....TKRs prevented us getting to one last year.....

Roll Tide!
 
Had I not "experienced" TKRs....it'd been very difficult to remain as active as I'd like to be.

Excellent report!
Thank you for sharing. It helps others going through the pre-op nerve stage to hear that they can make it through surgery and find that life is better after TKRs.:thumb::thumb:
 
Tomorrow marks the 2nd anniversary of my LTKR. Amazing how quickly it has passed. I'm assuming replaced knees won't go through the "Terrible Two's"........:snork::snork:!!

My left knee is doing just fine, nothing to indicate any terrible 2 issues. My right knee continues to be fine as well. I've ramped up my exercise routine to include riding a bike trainer during these winter months in addition to my swimming, walking, and light weight lifting.

My swimming has progressed to the point that I've decided to attempt a sprint triathlon in May. It'll be a stretch event for me but what the heck! My last stretch event was a 1/2 marathon in 2012. I will walk the 5K portion, not going to risk creating problems by trying to run again.

My kids gave me the bike trainer for Christmas. That thing is giving me quite the workout! Slowly building my time and distance on it. Since my range of motion in my left knee is a bit less than my right I'm having to place my foot on the pedal differently than my right. I think I need to adjust my seat height some. Suggestions anyone?
I've also noticed my right leg continues to be slightly stronger than my left which was the case prior to surgery. Will still work a little more on my left quad muscles during my weight lifting sessions.

So, the knees are great! I've been fortunate in my journey following the TKRs. Hard to believe the progress especially compared to those first few days after the surgery. I continue to "mentor" a couple of friends recovering from TKR. They are progressing. They are aware of this site.

Best to all!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom