Guest viewing is limited

TKR Snoots recovery thread<

:console2::console2:

Try really hard to put that experience out of your mind. It makes me so mad when people tell us things like that. Just because that might have worked for her, doesn’t mean everyone has to do it her way. I can’t stand pushy people like that. :hairpulling:
 
Well isnt that woman very lucky that she didnt have any pain, but let's get real here, most of us are struggling one way and another.

It's great that you managed to get out for a bit. Don't let that thoughtless woman put you off.

I do hope that your nausea has improved a bit. I can't think of anything worse.
 
There's always someone who'll tell you how they went dancing two weeks after their TKR and that you're doing everything wrong!
Well done you for getting out to watch your son. If only that wretched woman hadn't come along you could be feeling so pleased with yourself and enjoyed the change of scene. Oh well. There's always tomorrow. I hope you manage some decent sleep tonight.
 
❤️ you all. X. I’m home and icing so feel safe again. I know it may sound melodramatic but I suppose when you are feeling vulnerable, you can’t deal with things you’d normally just shrug off.
Dressings off tomorrow so looking forward to having a bath soon!
 
I found co-codomol helped more than plain paracetamol on its own.
@Lindylee Of course it did - it has codeine in it! But the issue is that co-codamol's codeine is usually only 8mg, 15mg or 30 mg and in my experience, GP's invariably prescribe one of the two lesser doses. But you're already taking codeine and it's not doing you much good, is it?

I seem to have the choice of pain or nausea/constipation
@snoots you do have another choice - prophylacticly take stool softeners or one of these suggested remedies Constipation and stool softeners. Don't let the constipation build up.


One of the side effects of Tramadol is nausea
@Bionic That's true but the instance of this side effect is very rare. I've only met it twice in the whole of my career.
Well isn't that woman very lucky that she didnt have any pain
You know what? I bet she didn't even HAVE a TKR. Probably just knew someone who had!
 
The stool softeners were considered a must by my OS/hospital team. They had me start on them right away. Try to get liquids in a bit at a time (or suck on ice chips) even if you can't drink a lot at a time when your stomach is acting up.
 
@Josephine
Sorry, but I'm a bit confused and I may have confused you as well! You're right that it didn't do me much good when I overdid things and my pain levels increased. At present I don't have much pain and I'm only taking paracetemol. I was taking co-codomol earlier . You're right that it was a low dose, but that was at my request, as the stronger dose made me feel like a zombie. I must be one of the few that suffer awful nausea with tramadol so I'm not sure what other options I might have had. It was better than nothing, but I'm open to advice.
 
Last edited:
I also experience nausea when taking Tramadol. It's a synthetic opioid and all opioids give me nausea.
 
So two weeks have now passed since my surgery. It feels a lot longer! Finally think I’m getting on top of my pain and the other ‘stuff’. Prophylactically taking some laxatives and my proper dr has prescribed different painkillers with real advice rather than relying on locums who don’t know me from Adam. My knee is feeling better during day and I am really quite mobile now. I do get a reminder at night if I’ve overdone it so really trying to rest, elevate and ice as much as possible. Scratchy pain has gone from medial side of knee which is a huge relief. ROM still 90* but extension hasn’t got worse and I can still flatten out my leg without pain. Appt with OS on Monday.
 
That sounds as if it's all going in the right direction. Glad to hear your sorting out your pain issues etc. ROM of 90 at 2 weeks sounds good, it's still early days. Good luck on Monday. :console2:
 
90 degrees at 2 weeks is excellent. Most OSs don't expect that until 6 weeks. Give your self a pat on the back. You are doing a good job taking care of that knee!
 
I’m glad things are going in the right direction for you now. Hope all goes well on Monday
 
@snoots
Your op was a week behind mine and I'm not at 90 degrees yet. Well done but just make sure you don't overdo things.
 
I do hesitate to put numbers on this recovery because as soon as I think things are improving, something else ‘goes’.

Tonight’s delight: Twitchy, snaky (daft-sounding I know) pains up and down my calf tonight!!

Back on oxycodon as codeine doesnt come close to stopping pain. Swelling has also gone back up but I didn’t ice as much today and went out for a walk to postbox at end of our road. Not clever!
 
Jockette, Josephine, sistersinhim Where can i buy one of these wedge pillows?

[Bonesmart.org] Snoots recovery thread<
 
I couldn't find it anywhere in the UK. Just used the pile of pillows at the approved angle.
 
@snoots That sounds like the zingers - nerves firing up. I was amazed by how many different aches and pains in different areas of my leg there were. I woke up each morning wondering what and where today's might be. You're only just over 2 weeks, very early days and sill in the really rotten stage. It will get better.:console2:
 
@snoots
I have a pile of pillows held together with some Velcro straps I made. To be honest I don't use it much. It seems whatever position I get in, pillows or not, I can't get comfortable for long.

I had a couple of better nights mid week but last night wasn't great again.

I get the zaps, twitches and zingers too. Luckily mine don't last for long.

I must say the road to recovery can be a hard one in this op.
 
It is definitely a case of which bit will be the sorest today! I have had the zingers, feel like electric shocks and make me squeal. The children look at me and say ‘electric shock time?’
I use 3 pillows for elevation, the top one folded and they have worked well for me. I don’t secure them and they miraculously stay in place. It’s lovely looking at my knee in the morning and it looks ‘normal’ soon changes when I get up.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom