Guest viewing is limited

TKR Snoots recovery thread<

It may seem a long way off for you all at the moment but the day will come when you have to clear away all the pillows and ice packs and general stuff related to TKR. Our sitting room was transformed. Yours will be too one day.
 
Feel like I’m back to Week 1. Have spent all day so far in bed. Was violently sick this morning and can only blame the oxycodon.

Haven’t managed anything to eat or drink so far.

FED UP.
 
Sorry to hear that @snoots. Those nasty meds! Hope you feel better soon.
 
@snoots Its not surprising that you feel fed up when you are nauseous again.

I was on paracetamol and codeine which didn't seem to give a great deal of relief so at Josephine's suggestion got the Dr to give me Tramadol instead of Codeine. Although one of the side effects of Tramadol can be nausea it hasn't been a problem with me and it does seem to help the pain a bit better.

I'm wondering if it would work better for you than the codeine and oxycodon do.
 
That's awful Snoots, it's really miserable being sick like that. You're in between a rock and a hard place having to choose between pain and sickness.
 
@snoots - you don't have to choose between pain and nausea. Ask your doctor or surgeon for a prescription for anti-nausea medication. I always need that whenever I have to take narcotics.
 
This will be the 3rd time I’ve had to go bk. they should’ve just given the Tramadol in the first place. Grrrrrrr
 
From what I have seen they don't seem to prescribe Tramadol that much in the UK. When I asked my DR for it he said he would rather I had codeine. I told him that wasn't really working. He then said but you have oramorph to which I relied that it made me nauseous. So he gave in and I got the Tramadol.
 
From what I have seen they don't seem to prescribe Tramadol that much in the UK. When I asked my DR for it he said he would rather I had codeine. I told him that wasn't really working. He then said but you have oramorph to which I relied that it made me nauseous. So he gave in and I got the Tramadol.
Does anyone know why this would be the case? My doc is def averse to prescribing it.
 
@snoots : I bought a Lounge Dr from the manufacturer, via amazon. It's really expensive, but I love having it. I arranged for expedited shipping, which was around $80 Cdn, but when the pillow did not arrive for a week, I contacted the manufacturer, and they refunded the shipping.

I have spent hours with mine, and we are best friends now.

I told my case manager nurse about them. She looked them up and was hoping that the clinic could bring them up to Canada to sell, because she thought they were likely the best thing ever. I like how you can buy one according to your height. As a very short person, I'm used to everything not working that well.

Our cat thinks it belongs to him, and he will graciously allow me to put my feet up. I bought the wide version, but I think the narrower version would work just as well, as long as you don't have a cat.
 
Your doctor would look for any drug interactions so that might be why. But I agree they should be giving you some anti-nausea meds and working to find a med you can tolerate.
Regardless of whatever med you wind up on, it is a good idea to take them with a little food. (once you get your nausea under control, obviously.)
 
So finally a positive post for a change!! Went to see my surgeon this morning and he was VERY happy with my progress. He looked at my scar and said it had his trademark ‘Greggs Pasty’ line (British folk will know what I mean). He uses this technique of almost crimping the skin as it will then flatten out into a neater scar. I couldn’t care less about my scar really as long as I have a knee that is functional and pain free.

My movement is much improved and he gave me Tramadol for the evening pain. HURRAY!! Finally!!

No need for physio he said so my husband took me to the local health club and I enjoyed a little ‘walk’ in the indoor baby pool. Bliss.

I have just woken up from a lovely Tramadol nap and am icing and elevating. Feels so good to be coming out of the hellish fog of surgery to see the sun shining down here on the South Coast.
 
@snoots
Sounds as if you have had a good day. As you have already had some tramadol and there was no mention of nausea I am assuming it works ok for you.
I recognise the Greggs pasty line. I think my scar probably comes from a Welsh bakery chain :-)

A walk in the baby pool sounds just lovely. I must try to find one of those myself.

I hope you have a good night tonight.
 
@snoots and @Bionic
Since both of you only had your knees replaced this month, I do have to warn you not to submerge your new knees in water (pool, hot tub, or bath) unless the incision is completely healed, with no scabs or open areas at all.
If you do it any sooner, you could run the risk of introducing infection.
 
Thanks for the advice! What about hydrotherapy?
 
Well, hydrotherapy would include immersing your knee in water, wouldn't it? So I'd avoid it until your knee has recovered more and that incision is completely healed.

It's still less than a month since you had your knee replaced. at this early stage, your knee needs very little exercise. It needs to heal a bit more first.

This is a year-long recovery and there's no need to rush. You have plenty of time.
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) or improved function, because they can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

In any case, it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
Thanks for that info Celle.
As nice as the pool sounds I wasn't going to do it yet because I wasn't convinced that the wound was healed.
I will wait until I see my OS on 11th April and see what he says then.

It's really nice to know that people on this forum are looking out for us :)
 
I agree @Bionic! Patience. Patience. Patience!! It was only two days ago that I was throwing my guts up and crying in pain!

Would be be fair to describe this process as a bipolar one!

Thank you @Celle xx :) :-) (:
 
I'm glad others have mentioned waiting until fully healed before venturing into the pool!
It's great that you're feeling so much better. It'll be even better when you're off the Tramadol.
What a difference a day makes though!
 
So a real set back.

I was admitted to hospital yesterday with violent nausea and dehydration. They also found an infection in my body. Put on a drop for fluids, painkillers and antibiotics so on the mend.

Opinion was I had too many different opioids on top of a big operation and my body just said ‘enough is enough’ and threw the towel in. I feel better now but just managing to keep liquids down. Irony is my knee is fantastic - great ROM and little pain.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom