Bilateral THR Smrt2run's new hips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ByGosh, the first week totally sucks, and it probably sucks 10 times as much when it's both hips, so don't be so hard on yourself. The best thing for me was that my sister came for a few days-- and all she did was make me laugh. (She named my new hip Lindsay after the Bionic Woman. Are you too young to know about the Bionic Woman?). If you're like me, you don't have the concentration for reading right now, but what about watching funny movies? Here's a link to 100 of them. (I recommend A Fish Called Wanda if you haven't seen it.)
broken link removed: https://movies.yahoo.com/100-movies-to-see-before-you-die/100-funniest-movies/
 
Barbara if I was told when I was little, that one day I'd have a bionic body I'd have been well chuffed. I loved the bionic woman and six million dollar man. Wish the surgeon had drawn a picture on my leg.... like the flap that opened on the doll version. Pmsl
Aud
 
Ah I should name mine. I'm thinking Plato for one after the character from Rebel Without a Cause. I guess I'll need a second one. I'll keep thinking of it.
 
Audball, LOL, well chuffed? (Sorry, I don't know what that means.). I never saw the doll, but my surgeon did write his initials on my right leg, which was there until I could shower!

The most expensive autograph you'll ever get. :)
 
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and support, Audball. How are you doing? It'll be two weeks tomorrow for you. What's it like now? I hope you're feeling better and getting around some.
I also hope you are more optimistic than I am. I have a hard time looking toward a better tomorrow. I just feel like "this is how it's always going to be now" when things are tuff. I I feel like things will never get better. Foolish. I need to remind myself that things do get better, and will get better, and this is only temporary.
So you're from Scotland? I need to read your story. Is that beautiful little baby a picture of you? AWWWW, adorable. Have you had problems since you were a little one? Do people with congenital hips often need replacements? Poor dear. Let me know what's going on with you, OK?
I'm going to take your advice and ice, elevate, and watch a movie, I think. Take care, Audball.


Very funny smrt2run - about the autograph. How true it is! The surgeon has a sense of humor. I almost kind of wished that mine had done that! Just a little something to make ya feel special.
 
Hey guys, I was reading from the bottom up here and only got the tail end of it all. Now-@BarbaraR, the first week does totally suck, you've got that right! I'm a nurse, and hate being a patient - like you being a doctor- So that was hard -
And you are an angel:angel: for giving me the link to those movies! I love movies, and love laughing :rotfl: (much better than crying) and I have Netflix, so it's all going to be good. I can't wait to look them up! I did see a Fish Called Wanda, loved it. Any others you'd recommend?

smrt2run -- Plato?! That's a great name! and a great idea to name the new hips. Maybe I'll start to grow more fond of them, if I give em a name. Sort of like having a pet, or a child - once you name it, it's "yours". Now that should keep me busy! Anything to keep me occupied.:)

Thanks for the ideas guys. Hope you all have a good day today. Mine is improved from yesterday. It was the pain that made me frantic, and it's better today. I now feel like I may get better after all.
 
ByGosh, I'm so happy you're feeling better today. Yes, like you i am much better at giving than getting.

Let's see, from the list I liked The 40 Year Old Virgin, Annie Hall, Best in Show, The Big Lebowski, Diner, Dr. Strangelove, Groundhog Day, Harold and kumar, Harold and Maude, Heaven Can Wait, his Girl Friday, MASH, Monty python, the Player, The Princess Bride, The Producers, Some Like it Hot, Tootsie, Trading Places, Waiting for Guffman, When Harry Met Sally, Young Frankenstein. My husband loves old Marx brothers movies and the original In-Laws (but not the remake). A lot of people love Bridesmaids, but I found myself cringing more than laughing.

Enjoy! XO
 
Bygosh you're right, 2weeks tomorrow. Totally different to what I was, walking without sticks around the house, up and down stairs. Scar is really healing. Had a sneaky drive last Thursday. . Then slept the whole day. Pmsl. I think I'm so used to doing everything, that I push myself more than I should. I mean, I'm in less pain now that my hip is fixed. I think I'm just so used to trying to pretend I'm fine.
Another few weeks and it will be a memory. X
Aud
 
I'm feeling quite good today. Heading home from rehab on crutches tomorrow. Been using crutches but I've tried two canes, one cane and walking on my own between parallel bars. In the end, I'm glad I came to rehab. The ot was helpful and friendly but the pt worked me hard, which was almost enjoyable. I'll actually kind of miss the guy. Doesn't hurt that he is practically my age. Can't wait for the 6 weeks mark and a little nervous to attempt sleeping on my side.
 
Glad rehab went well and you get to go home tommorrow. If the doctor did not restrict you from trying to sleep on your side, then go for it, put a pillow between your legs though. Your body will tell you if you can not stay on your side, the last hip I at first could go on my side for a minute, than 5, than hour, etc. This hip I could go on my side earlier but not to comfortable staying on it, maybe less than a half hour.
 
smrt2run - Yippee! Congratulations! You're going home! :bicycle1: You must be happy! Sounds like you've gotten a lot of great PT -- and OT, too. I think it's great that you made such progress and you're able to be independent so quickly. You're not even 2 weeks post op yet, but ready to roll. It'll feel so good to be at your own home, sleep in your own bed, :sleep: etc.

I can't wait to sleep on my side, either, but I'm also a little leary of it. I'm finding it less and less comfortable to lay on my back all night, though.

I'm doing ok today. Feeling less weak and nauseous, but having more pain. Hopefully it's because I'm up and about a bit more.

Best of luck going home! Let us know how you're doing there and what's going on. I read your post before about reading menus from places you'd like to eat to keep yourself busy. That's a great idea, too. I wonder if it would make me too hungry, since I'm not cooking now...well, guess I could order it to go..

Well be good and be careful at home and enjoy your familiar surroundings :cheers: :beer: After all - "Home is where the heart is" and "There's no place like home" Bye for now.
 
I've read a lot about the time between weeks 2 and 3 being kind of difficult. I woke up super stiff last night and in a bit of pain. I was hoping to be done with tramadol but I took it and went to bed. I'm of course being far too hard on myself but its something I always do. This is the first time I've experienced the two steps forward one step back and it sucks haha. I feel like I made much more progress in rehab than at home.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Smrt2run's new hips.
smrt2run,
would you please put your surgery date in your signature, as well as what surgery you had (i.e., LTKR, RTHR) like the rest of us do? You can find the instructions here: How to create a signature. But please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being Jan. 10, 2013 or 10 Jan. 2013 rather than 1/10/13 or 10/1/13. Thanks so much for your cooperation.​
​
​
 
@smrt2run

I also had my surgery at HSS. I'm glad you are home but sorry for your set back. Hang in there it's gets better. I'm six weeks today and was even dancing this weekend!! You'll get there

MJ
 
I've read a lot about the time between weeks 2 and 3 being kind of difficult. I woke up super stiff last night and in a bit of pain. I was hoping to be done with tramadol but I took it and went to bed. I'm of course being far too hard on myself but its something I always do.
Er, excuse me? You stopped your pain meds at 3 weeks? To put it mildly, that is not wise!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom