Bilateral THR Smrt2run's new hips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm upstate, near Syracuse.
i'm not 6 months yet, but would take on anything at this point,
walking beaches or thru disney.... walking for me now is easier
than standing still for a length of time!
 
yup, not too far!
i actually live down along Rt 20, southeast of Syracuse
welcome neighbor!
 
Oh nice, I've traveled up to Uritca a few times to visit some friends on Amtrak. It's great in the winter. Yeah I figured planning something fun for the not so distant future would help when recovery wasn't going as well.
 
Ugh I think I got my first experience with the post op blues. I started crying for no reason tonight. I just want to be able to get comfortable. I left the hospital and went to rehab but immediately questioned if I had made the correct decision. I just want to be in my bed and with my things. I almost feel like If I have to go thru this, it should be at my house. So why did I decide to go in the first place?
 
smrt2run how long are you staying at rehab? If you are doing really well, perhaps you can ask to go home, I think you are in charge. I'm sure your medical insurance would love nothing better than for you to go home. Do you have help at home? Even if you don't, and you can manage with a walker or a cane, you could take care of yourself. I've been home from the hospital for a week and what a difference in what I can do. My husband is gone at work until 3 in the afternoon and I managed fine. As for the blues, oh yeah they happen. I was watching a drama on TV and for no reason, the tears came. You're not alone. Tke care, better days are coming.

-Susan
 
Thanks designergirl I think I was just having a bad night. I had pt and ot for 90 minutes each. It was pretty damn intense, but I'd never have done that much work on my own. It's really amazing how much I've realized that I couldn't do a day ago or before surgery. Perhaps I didn't make that poor of a choice. The pt says ill be here about a week. I'm sure I can survive. Also it's funny because the insurance company suggested I go!
 
You did make the right decision to go to rehab. I had both my hips replaced in Sept & really didn't want to go either but my surgeon insisted. I was a actually glad he did. I was there 1 week & it did put me in a better place when I did go home. It's amazing how tired & emotional you are after the surgery & rehab just helped me get over the hump & be confident of what I could do at home. Plus they gave me some really good tips
 
Yeah, you are absolutely right, I think it will be really beneficial in the end. I'm sore right now but it's a good sore. Can't believe how many muscles we worked out. Didn't they know I had major surgery Friday?
 
Sounds like you are doing good, in the long run I think the intense PT will help you, just make sure youknow the differences between the good sore and the pain that says stop
 
My muscles have been weak from being inactive really all throughout my cancer treatment. It may be the best thing for me. How are things on your end?
 
Doing good working on restoring muscles, only headaches and tiredness keeping me down. This hip alot easier than the last. Learn all you can in rehab
 
Smrt2run. You did the right thing. Soon you won't even think about the surgery and this site has plenty of people to talk it out with if needed. You're doing well, just remember that. X
Aud
 
Thank you so much Audball . I feel like often we are as humans way too hard on ourselves. I always have been, it's even worse now.

I'm In a strange position because I'm not sure if my tiredness Is because of the surgery, therapy or because I'm in a strange environment. They ordered my Tylenol with codeine so ill try that tonight. I also started to take tramadol because the pain isn't that intense but the regular Tylenol want working either. I love both the pt and ot. The pt works me hard, harder than I really ever have. I've been rather lethargic recently with being under treatment for the leukemia. I know when it's too much and I tell him I need a break but he certainty attempts to push me. It's like a trainer paid for by my insurance.
 
You've really been through it! But now you're on the road to recovery and it will all be forgotten. And it can't be much worse than the wind swinging the car door off a new hip. Lol. Keep positive. .. xxx
Aud
 
Hi smrt2run, I found your thread. I replied to you on my thread today and said you were smrt2rehab. I decided not to go to rehab, came home 3 days after bilateral hips done last Mon the 4th, and boy I was sick. Still am. My blood counts were very low, borderline - no transfusion, so everytime I got up I became very nauseous, my pulse raced, and I felt very weak. It's not as bad now, but I'm still queasy, especially in the shower. Very weak, very tired, the pain seems worse and I don't know why. I had a lot of swelling in the thighs yesterday and was up more, maybe that's why. I hope it's nothing worse.

The Hospital for Special Surgery is supposed to be quite a place. I live in Conn. and my PT encouraged me to go there - he said they have a near zero infection rate and expert specialists. I couldn't face driving there, having follow up appts. there and driving again, etc, so I stayed in state.
How was your experience with it and with the physicians? I know what you mean about being bothered by everyone in the hospital. It's so aggravating. I didn't want to see people that I didn't need to see, like the dietician, or the volunteer making paintings, or the quality control person doing a survey. It was unbelievable. I wanted to be left alone to sleep, rest, moan, try to wiggle my sore fanny around, sleep, sleep, sleep, feel sick without having to be pleasant to these intrusive strangers. After all these years, I can't believe they haven't figured that out yet. We're in the hospital because we're sick and need to mend, not socialize. I hope they're letting you get some peace and quiet in rehab!:sleep:
Don't feel bad, I've been crying lately, too. I cried Fri. when I blew my nose and there was a little blood. Coumadin, bloody nose, bleed to death, etc. :tantrum: Then Sat. I cried because I had a slight temp at night- post op infection, implant infection, pneumonia, flu, I'm not going to make it, etc. :tantrum: Then today I cried because my husband was cooking in the kitchen and I was nauseous and didn't like the smell!!!:tantrum: And I'm not a crier! My poor family. I think part of it's the physical stress our body (and brain) has been through, the pain, the immobility, the more pain, the meds (anesthesia, dilaudid, vicodan, whatever) the frustration and feeling of helplessness, the actual helplessness, the whole darn aggravating ordeal! Who wouldn't cry? Why shouldn't we cry? This is hard, this is no fun for us or anyone around us. (I think I'd better look up the bonesmart mantra again, so I can stop feeling so hopeless. :boohoo:Negativity isn't helpful.)
Well, now that I've cheered you up......How much longer are you in rehab? I bet you can decide to go home earlier if you're safe and making progress. You probably don't have much time left there anyway. How's the pain? How are you doing? When you leave, will you be alone? If you don't have someone at home, it is better that you went, because this is rough even with my family here. You'll be glad when it's over, and you feel strong and can get around.
Good luck, sorry I wrote so much. Take care of yourself, keep up the good work, get some sleep and cry whenever you feel like it, I'll probably be crying, too! :loll:
 
Hey ByGosh hope your feeling a little better now. I had run a slight fever at night myself. They did some culture but found nothing. I think it's quite okay to be upset. I'm sure it's a mix of a whole bunch of different things including medications, pain and stress. Plan something nice for yourself/husband. I've been researching a vacation to Disney for sometime In he future. Who knows if it will ever happen but it's giving me something to look forward to when I'm not feeling so great.


. I had a perfect example of being annoyed by someone in a hospital that involves your great state! I was living in White Plains NY and took myself to Greenwich hospital where they had every single person in the world come in including people like herbalists and this one woman who tried healing touch. She liked moved her hands over my body in an attempt to heal me? Suffice It didn't work. My mom said I fell asleep and started to snore.

I was happy with HSS, I liked the facility and my surgeon. A plus for me was that hip and knee replacements is the bulk of their patient load. An example of how important, the resident at the rehab place had never seen an incision not closed by staples or sutures. Mine are closed with dermabond under the skin. To me, it didn't seem that strange. I think in the end ill be happy with my choice of going but I'm sure I could have also done it on my own. I did notice a difference between the two though, things like at HSS they'd bring in stuff automatically like ice packs. Here the nurses back off a little more, I need to ask for things that came automatically at the hospital.

I honestly don't have much pain as I typically think of it except for one time at HSS where I was almost in tears. It's more of aches, stiffness and soreness. I am of course 20 pounds heavier and my hips and thighs barely fit on the commode or shower stall. That is the thing that bothers me the most. I guess things could be worse...

Hope I answered some of your questions and helped a bit. I'm sure you'll look back at how much has changed for the better as the bad becomes a memory. Take care, cry if you need to and keep In touch!
 
Thanks BarbaraR, that was so sweet. I almost started crying again! Oh no! :cry: :)

And thanks for your kind and thoughtful response, smrt2run. The idea about a trip is a really good one! I've never been to Disney, (am sort of phobic about flying, just like I was sort of phobic about surgery, but I did it). Maybe I'll look up someplace nice when I'm a bit more myself. It'll be a good way to pass some time, and something to look forward to. You're a doll for suggesting it. :angel:

Night everyone. Stay well.
 
Bygosh if you need to cry, I'm sure your family understand. The swelling and pain take you by surprise, but feet up and ice.... aaaaahhh great. X. Put on a cheery film, feet up and comfort supplies and get it out if you need to, I'm sure we all have. X
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom