Guest viewing is limited

TKR Slow recovery from TKR

Hi again westiemom, I forgot to wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary earlier today.
So stopped back to extend best wishes for a good nights sleep and a reassuring appointment with your surgeon on Wednesday. :wave:
@westiemom
 
@westiemom i had a spinal with sedation for my op and, like you, I could hear the surgeon hammering away with what sounded like a hammer and chisel! Good god it was frightening. I know it is easier to recover from a spinal but what about the emotional trauma of it all? I also started to panic as I found the temporary paralysis terrifying so the anaesthetist quickly sedated me before I could go into full panic mode. I will insist on a general for the other knee I think!
 
That's terrible, @ouchie! Your anesthesiologist should not have allowed that to happen. He/she should have confirmed that you were fully out before proceeding.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, but want to reassure others that spinal with sedation is an excellent option for most people. I've had spinal with sedation for all my joint surgeries and have never had this problem. I've slept soundly through everything and awakened feeling alert and refreshed after each one.
 
That's very scary! It can happen (just as most anything you can and don't want to think about can happen), yet is exceedingly rare.

The anesthesiologist likely didn't do anything wrong. There are definitely a small minority of humans whose genetics/body chemistry/metabolism makes them need either higher or lower doses of certain meds than most of us.

Personally I prefer to take the very slim risk of waking up in order to know that I will wake up post op quickly and without the "wish I were dead" feelings of a general anesthetic.
 
Well, I had to have a spinal due to my lousy heart, so I don't know if my heart went flooey and that's why I was brought out, but as soon as I said I could hear the hammering, he put me out again quick. They were monitoring my heart every which way so I assume it had to do with that. Spinal and sedation was the only way the anesthesiologist would consider doing my TKR.

I agree, coming out of a spinal is so much easier than the general. I've had so many generals (before my heart problem) and I've never come out of that well.

Tired today. I'm mostly just going to rest today. Think I did too much yesterday - we cut 7 dogs' toenails, which takes a while, did exercises, cooked a full meal and cleaned up, did some laundry just normal living stuff. Didn't sleep good last night - again, which is basically normal now. So I think a nap is in order today. :zzz:
 
Tired today. I'm mostly just going to rest today. Think I did too much yesterday - we cut 7 dogs' toenails, which takes a while, did exercises, cooked a full meal and cleaned up, did some laundry just normal living stuff. Didn't sleep good last night - again, which is basically normal now. So I think a nap is in order today. :zzz:
That's a lot, westiemom! I do hope you're able to catch a few Z's through a nap. :sleep:
 
@westiemom, hope you’re feeling better today, sounds like you did a lot! So lucky you have 7 pups. Our sweet pup went over the rainbow bridge last March , now just 2 sweet rag doll kitties to cuddle. One of my recovery goals is another pup when I’m up to walking/ training etc. something small and quiet, maybe a rescue. Hang in there, stay warm, windchill here this AM -25, and I have ice on my knee!
 
Personally I prefer to take the very slim risk of waking up in order to know that I will wake up post op quickly and without the "wish I were dead" feelings of a general anesthetic.

I've had both spinals and generals, and gave up on spinals after I had problems getting my bladder to wake up. They were going to catheterize me but the bladder woke up just in time.

After that I've only had generals and I didn't have the experience you describe. Sure it took quite a while to wake up all the way, but after knee surgery that's not a bad thing in my opinion.
 
Last edited:
Wow - that windchill is terrible! We are having a nice day 50 degrees out and sunny. DH went to the store for me for things to tempt my appetite. Everything tastes like cardboard to me. Could be because I have covid, but have had no appetite after surgery but before Covid.

7 dogs is a lot, tho we've had as many as 11 before. They are a mixture of rescues and purchased dogs. We got our "last puppy ever" during Covid. Was waiting for the breeder I wanted to have a girl for me. They are all little dogs which is much easier than the greyhounds we used to have. They are all very lovey dovey to me as they know I'm not quite right. My oldest is my protector and she follows me everywhere and sits with me even in the bathroom.

:puppysmooze:
 
Even if we wake, or became aware during surgery, we are safe, as we know, since our vitals are being monitored throughout. I hope the memory fades for, ouchie, now that she's had a successful surgery and is healing.
Waking during surgery is rare.
 
I didnt want to frighten people about my spinal and sedation, so sorry! I could hear things but I absolutely couldn’t feel a thing at all. Even when I had my THR in 2016 I could hear the staff chatting away while I snoozed - couldn’t make out what exactly they were saying though. Maybe as @mendogal said I’m one of those people who doesn’t go off completely with a spinal and sedation. I will discuss with the OS when it’s time to do the other knee, but I would prefer to be out of it if at all possible. I am prone to panic attacks and it will be less stressful, I hope!
 
The key is to tell the anesthesiologist when you talk to him or her right before surgery that you want to be totally out so you aren’t aware of anything. This is very possible with today’s drugs and this clues the doctor to monitor you just a little bit more closely.
 
I didnt want to frighten people about my spinal and sedation, so sorry!
Please don't feel you owe anyone an apology. You were only being honest and sharing your experience. Your story may help raise awareness, encouraging others to ask questions beforehand or share their concerns for a better understanding of the process. We're happy you feel comfortable enough here to share your experience in support of others as you're healing.
 
@Oldped

After I got home from the OS, I fell asleep. It was an hour drive there and then back, they were backed up at the office because of prior snow cancellations that they needed to double book. We did go to lunch, but all that just exhausted me.


Semi good news from the doctor - he thinks I'm doing good for 6 weeks in (he forgot I was actually 9 weeks in). Just eyeballed my flexion and said it was ok - close to 90 degrees. My extension is about 2 degrees. I told him about my PT traumas and told him I wouldn't be going back, just doing my home exercises. He told me I had a 3 week window if I want an MUA and I said thanks but no thanks. I think I'm doing ok on my own and it's just going to take me quite a bit longer to get back to normal. I used my walker yesterday for everything.

Today I went to get my D/L renewed and used only my cane. Almost an hour drive each way and we also had lunch. Have gotten home, taken a pain pill and icing and elevating. Two days in a row of all this activity has just shattered my. Plus trying to recover from Covid.

So my decision about MUA is final, I called and cancelled all my PT appointments from now thru February. I feel so much less stressed now. Don't know if the doctor would have been as pleased as he was if he had realized up front I was 9 weeks in versus 6 tho :happydance:

I did pass my vision test at the DMV, with a restriction that I need a right hand outside mirror (which all cars have). So that's another worry off my mind.

Now for my nap..... :zzz:

P.S. I have a March 12 appointment to go back and get my final release.
 
@Oldped

After I got home from the OS, I fell asleep. It was an hour drive there and then back, they were backed up at the office because of prior snow cancellations that they needed to double book. We did go to lunch, but all that just exhausted me.


Semi good news from the doctor - he thinks I'm doing good for 6 weeks in (he forgot I was actually 9 weeks in). Just eyeballed my flexion and said it was ok - close to 90 degrees. My extension is about 2 degrees. I told him about my PT traumas and told him I wouldn't be going back, just doing my home exercises. He told me I had a 3 week window if I want an MUA and I said thanks but no thanks. I think I'm doing ok on my own and it's just going to take me quite a bit longer to get back to normal. I used my walker yesterday for everything.

Today I went to get my D/L renewed and used only my cane. Almost an hour drive each way and we also had lunch. Have gotten home, taken a pain pill and icing and elevating. Two days in a row of all this activity has just shattered my. Plus trying to recover from Covid.

So my decision about MUA is final, I called and cancelled all my PT appointments from now thru February. I feel so much less stressed now. Don't know if the doctor would have been as pleased as he was if he had realized up front I was 9 weeks in versus 6 tho :happydance:

I did pass my vision test at the DMV, with a restriction that I need a right hand outside mirror (which all cars have). So that's another worry off my mind.

Now for my nap..... :zzz:

P.S. I have a March 12 appointment to go back and get my final release.
Ah this gave me a good giggle. I can imagine if it was me sitting there I’d be stone still,hoping he wouldn’t remember I was actually 9 weeks
What a relief for you. You can breathe now and follow your own unique journey, without having to worry about other people’s expectations, but can set your own realistic goals. Rest well you deserve it ❤️
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom