TKR Slow recovery from TKR

@ouchie Hi, just read how the physio treated your knee!!!!! I certainly would have gone berserk. I have just had my 1st session and I make it very clear from the start, do not touch me and when I say no, I mean no. I am not a rude person but you really have to look after yourself against some of these physios. I am under Nuffield and they are totally against raised toilet seats, ridiculous and of course I have a raised toilet seat with support. With the good advice we receive on here, it's been proven that we can manage our own minds.
 
With the good advice we receive on here, it's been proven that we can manage our own minds.
Exactly! We each have to take charge of our own recovery and make decisions that are best for our own situation.

I am under Nuffield and they are totally against raised toilet seats
I bet they would change their minds if they had a TKR themselves. I’ve been using a raised seat since even before my PKR and I won’t give it up. Why sit that low if I don’t have to?
 
I am under Nuffield and they are totally against raised toilet seats, ridiculous and of course I have a raised toilet seat with support. With the good advice we receive on here, it's been proven that we can manage our own minds.
The flip side of the coin -
A few reasons why putting away the toilet riser is a great goal to work toward.
Ideally, if you’re able to work toward giving up a raised toilet seat there are benefits.
It encourages muscle strengthening because it requires more effort from the muscles in your legs, like quads and glutes, helping rebuild strength and stability in your op leg. Without a toilet riser you will bend your knee more which helps with ROM post op. It will also give you confidence and a feeling of independence knowing you can do this when you have no other alternative. There is no point in using an aid you no longer need as it can lead to imbalances or an over reliance on other body parts causing strain / pain elsewhere. I’m for ditching the riser unless you absolutely cannot toilet without it. There are physical advantages to this as well as mental advantages such as boosting confidence, the ability to overcome challenges and trust in your body’s capabilities to rebound from major surgery.

I hope this is a better week for you, westiemom, we’re here for you always.
Happy Monday!
 
@Andypandy - that’s only some of what she did. My previous sessions were one to one and very good with a kind physio. But I don’t want to be a Moaning Minnie but firstly she asked me to walk. She then said no, no, no you’re relying on your other leg too much. This was in front of all the group attendees. That’s when she asked me to lay down and pushed my knee down and roughly kneaded it saying Don’t you massage it like this? No, because no one said I should! She stopped when I cried out Ouch. She was so rude.

She was one of 2 physios in the group. The whole idea of group sessions was ridiculous as we were all at different stages post op so we were given sheets with what PT we should do. As I was only at 7 weeks the exercises were what I was doing at home anyway. It was chaotic as some were on different machines such as bikes and treadmills but we were all on top of one another and were told to go onto the next exercise after 3 minutes when they were supposed to say Change, but the physios kept forgetting to say it. I had had enough so I said I’m going. The horrible physio said Okay see you in 2 weeks. I just smiled but inside I said not blooming likely. I keep meaning to write to the hospital to complain but I haven’t done so yet, but I will. Sorry to drone on but I found it all rather humiliating.
 
That’s when she asked me to lay down and pushed my knee down and roughly kneaded it saying Don’t you massage it like this? No, because no one said I should! She stopped when I cried out Ouch. She was so rude.
So sad! Some PT’s seem so unapologetically aggressive. It can feel like they’re disregarding your pain…. like they’re masochistic. Strong word, but some act that way.

I recall going to PT in an effort to avoid joint replacement, I had high hopes, they were quickly dashed. At one visit a PT had me on the floor and I couldn’t find a comfortable way to get up! She would not lend me a hand, but instead looking down at me said, “getting up off the floor is a life skill you need to have”. I was thinking…okay lady, but I have a bad wheel, I will work on that after joint replacement. I felt like an ant on the floor with a giant looking down on me, lol. If I didn’t fear repercussion I may have grabbed her leg from under her so she fell on her you know what. :heehee: I didn’t, I behaved myself. She finally extended a hand to help. Redeemed herself.:wink:
 
Yes @Layla you wonder why these people do these jobs! I just hope one day they need new knees and they have to go through what we’ve gone through but with a nasty physio too!
 
There are some great PT's out there, but others, ho-hum. I guess I wasn't one of the lucky ones that landed a great one.

With my experience "on the floor" and the PT's comeback, I felt like I was in survival training, not PT!
I should have asked, "what's next...climbing trees?!!" :heehee:
I guess we have to laugh at some of this stuff, right? :wink:
Have a good one, @ouchie Happy New Year to you and our friend, @westiemom :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
This is @westiemon's thread, and we all need to get back to her recovery.

@westiemom, how are you doing?
 
A little mingling never hurts. :wink: We're just supporting one another, westiemom is friendly, I am sure she won't mind the minor interaction that's occurred.:)
I am doing some exercises but not to any extreme. I am doing a lot of daily living things and moving around quite a bit. I do exercises every other day to the point of discomfort but not to the point of needing opioid pain pills. My leg is still moderately swollen (based upon pictures I found on BoneSmart.)
Hopefully scaling back on exercise and engaging in the activity of daily living is allowing you to remain comfortably mobile and you're experiencing less pain, westiemom. Keep in mind that MANY achieve ROM over time even when their progress moves slow at first.

Best wishes for a pleasant weekend!
 
Sorry @westiemom if we hijacked your post. It’s like we’re in a room together and the chat threads in and out! Sometimes it’s hard to remember where you are.
 
No apologies necessary, @ouchie!
We value you as a member and appreciate you contributing and connecting with other's to offer support.
Relating to each others experiences is helpful as you're healing. Keep showing up, you're part of our group and we want to follow your journey. :):loveshwr:


@westiemom You're missed here. I hope you're doing okay these days. :friends:
 
Just getting caught up here. First, anyone can post as far as I care in my thread. Makes it easy to see how others are doing.

I am just getting over Covid and haven't been to PT since before Christmas. Covid just laid me out flat and I cancelled today and Monday's PT. Barely had the energy to brush my teeth, so did no home exercises at all. Wed I have appt. with surgeon. I am not expecting that visit to go well. I've regressed even further without doing exercises, but sometimes other health issues have to come first.

Tomorrow I will try to find time to look over some more threads and see how November Nimbles are doing. Hope you all had a great holiday season and stayed healthy!
 
@westiemom … I’m so sorry to hear you were so ill with Covid. Try not to worry about the fact that you may have lost a little mobility while you were down with it. You’re right that your first priority was to get proper rest to recovery from that before trying to do a lot of exercising,. Your knee will come back…there is plenty of time for improvements in your ROM.
 
Oh goodness, westiemom...I am so sorry you had to endure Covid. Hopefully your OS respects that you've been sick and recovering with not enough energy to exercise. I hope your strength and stamina increases soon. Take good care. Hugs :console2:
@westiemom
 
Oh goodness, westiemom...I am so sorry you had to endure Covid. Hopefully your OS respects that you've been sick and recovering with not enough energy to exercise. I hope your strength and stamina increases soon. Take good care. Hugs :console2:
@westiemom
Well, I guess he's going to have to respect it since it is what it is. With my heart problem, Covid is more draining on me so I guess that's why I hardly have any energy. I'm pretty sure my OS is NOT going to be pleased with me, as I think he will figure I should have at least continued at home exercises. My knee just will not bend. That is the reality of the situation. I'm off opioid pain meds and on tylenol, but I have to say even now my knee is pinging away just sitting here.

I haven't been able to really sleep very good. My GP gave me an Rx to help and I tried it last night - made me jittery as could be and didn't get to sleep till after 3 am. Guess that was $12 down the tubes!

Today I am still having a hard time breathing - actually feel worse than yesterday (but I did quite a bit of Daily Living stuff yesterday). If I feel better tomorrow, I will start home exercises back.

I just feel like I can't catch a break. Even after not going to PT since before Christmas and taking things easy, I still cannot get the flexion. I'm still using my walker; haven't even tried a cane yet.

Thanks for letting me vent away here. I appreciate all your encouraging words and stories.
 
So sorry you had Covid @westiemom - it’s still lurking around knocking people off their feet. Not your fault. I saw a Nutritionist recently, a very slim, fit woman in her forties and she’s still suffering Covid after effects, so it can happen to anyone. As to the bending of the knee everyone is different but hopefully the consultant can look into that and hopefully help with that. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
 
My GP gave me an Rx to help and I tried it last night - made me jittery as could be and didn't get to sleep till after 3 am
I'm sorry, westiemom. Hopefully you took the medication with some food, or a small snack. Are you able to try another medication? I wonder if some deep breathing, or light stretching or meditation will help relax you and ease any anxiety you're feeling as you are bouncing back from Covid. You should avoid over exerting as your recovering from the virus and I don't know how your OS can argue with that. Rest, stay adequately hydrated, eat a nutritious diet and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.

We're here any time you need to vent. :friends:
 
Back
Top Bottom