TKR Slow recovery from TKR

@westiemom, hope you are better today after your epic restaurant journey. Bit warmer in the north today , or I’m getting used to the cold. I thought about being brave and going out for pizza tonight but hubby took out pork steaks to grill. I’m so tired by the end of the day, maybe better to go at lunchtime. Plus I don’t want to see people I know who will say “ aren’t you better yet??” It’s a very small town, we’ve lived here almost 40 years , I worked here as pediatrician so lots of folks know me. Fun fact, my dr used to be my patient!! Now she bosses me around.
 
I worked here as pediatrician so lots of folks know me. Fun fact, my dr used to be my patient!!
Well that's a fun fact to know! So that's where you got Oldped

A good line to stop those unsolicited comments is "Recovery timelines vary for everyone and since my OS is satisfied with my progress...that's all that matters to me"
 
@westiemom how are you doing? Sunshine here today maybe temps in 40’s! Did you go on your outing yet? I went shopping yesterday, out fo about 1 hr , tired and knee and back a bit achy today. Just did a little bit and seems like I ran a marathon. Enjoy your pups, hope you are ok.
 
@Oldped well done on your outing. How was the walking, are you getting a good bend now. It's encouraging to get out and gives you confidence gradually. Just rest when you are back home, don't overdo x
 
@Andypandy, walking ok , knee stiff, not great bend but I’m managing. I think I need to just get on with life , hope for more bend over time. Trying to think positive thoughts, keep moving. Walked on deck today, nice sun and warmer. Hubby has been sick, son now coughing and feverish, hope I don’t get it!
 
Hubby has been sick, son now coughing and feverish, hope I don’t get it!
Really hope you stay well.
I must admit I seemed to get everything for a few months after my surgery. But it wasn't helped by being just after the lock downs and also looking after a toddler.
 
Sorry everyone I really haven't been on the forum for about a week or so. Just too depressed to do much including getting on the computer. It's good to read how good everybody is doing. Sunshine never hurts the mental attitude.
I don't think my ROM is much better. When I do my ADL without help from walker or cane, by end of evening after cleaning up dinner stuff, I ache pretty badly. I feel like I'm only about 4 weeks past surgery instead of the 11 weeks in reality.
We did have nice enough weather that we could have our Wed. afternoon coffee outside. Sun and fresh air were so nice. This weekend it's supposed to be nice and warm again.
I now have a horrible cold and have been miserable. Pacemaker surgery, TKR, covid and now a cold. Can't catch a break lately.
Sorry to be such a downer here.

Mods, can you change the title of my thread since it's not appropriate any longer.
 
Sorry everyone I really haven't been on the forum for about a week or so. Just too depressed to do much including getting on the computer. It's good to read how good everybody is doing. Sunshine never hurts the mental attitude.
I don't think my ROM is much better. When I do my ADL without help from walker or cane, by end of evening after cleaning up dinner stuff, I ache pretty badly. I feel like I'm only about 4 weeks past surgery instead of the 11 weeks in reality.
We did have nice enough weather that we could have our Wed. afternoon coffee outside. Sun and fresh air were so nice. This weekend it's supposed to be nice and warm again.
I now have a horrible cold and have been miserable. Pacemaker surgery, TKR, covid and now a cold. Can't catch a break lately.
Sorry to be such a downer here.

Mods, can you change the title of my thread since it's not appropriate any longer.
Aaah @westiemom I’m really sorry to hear you’re having such a tough time. You’ve had so much to contend with it’s not surprising you’re feeling low, anyone would be,given those circumstances!!

Have you decided against an MUA? If so then your recovery is very much your own now. So allow yourself the time to recover from the cold and slowly get back to your previous regimen. Easy for me to say but things never remain the same and there will be better days ahead. Look after yourself and recover soon ❤️
 
@ Westiemom, It’s good to hear from you, sorry you’re feeling down. My moods go up and down, it’s hard but I try to encourage myself and look for little bits of improvement. I messaged my primary care Dr. today because Im falling asleep ok, but wake up early and can’t go back to sleep. We’ve had a bit better weather, I have been trying to walk outside on our deck for fresh air. Also it helped to get out of the house. I’m thinking of going to watch a basketball game tomorrow am ( a friend’s grandson) My hubs had a bad cold, now son has it, I don’t want it! Sorry you’re not feeling well, you’ve had some bad knocks. Spring will come, we’ll all improve. Pet your pups, enjoy the sunshine.
 
Hello westiemom, I am really sorry you've recently endured so much. Recovering from just one of the challenges you faced would be tough, but facing them back to back...it's completely understandable you're feeling down and likely overwhelmed.

Try to focus on how far you've come. You're healing each day, even though it feels like a slog lately. You've tackled surgery, illness and recovery, you are resilient. The pain, fatigue and frustration will pass and you'll get back to feeling like your old self. Lean on loved ones and know that we're here for you whenever you feel the need for some support. You're never alone here and look at the great friends you've made with a handful of the ladies here.
One day soon you'll be looking back on this time and while it may feel bittersweet, those friendships cast some light on your path to a brighter future.

I hope you have a sunny pleasant weekend! :SUNsmile:
@westiemom
 
@beralc @Oldped @Layla @Andypandy
Thanks for the encouraging words and support. I am doing better than 2 weeks ago, knee-wise. Not sure about range of motion tho. I think that if it were JUST my TKR recovery to face, I would feel better. Everything all together just seems too much. And when I get a cold, my right eye tears constantly so I can only see out of my left eye, which is set for distance. So ignore any typos, I can't see much of what I'm typing.
I am so grateful for all the support y'all give me. It's just DH and me around here, with hardly any family left. I don't have any close friends where we live and the close friends I do have are scattered in the US. They check in with me, they send cards, they care. But they all have busy active lives with family around so I'm not a priority. And with Covid and now the cold, I don't have a voice to talk on the phone. DH can't understand me sitting right next to me. :gaah::gaah:
Dh's birthday is middle of February and I ordered him a birthday cake. He usually doesn't want one, but this year he said yes to make me happy. I mean, what is better than a good chocolate cake to cheer me up?? I know I pay a premium price for the cake, but she uses premium ingredients. My dad was a baker, so I'm a sucker for good ingredients in baked goods. I can taste artificial ingredients a mile off.
Last night went to bed at 9:30 and slept till 9:30 this morning. Woke up a dozen times, but managed to actually fall back asleep. Felt wonderful. I had drank Theraflu and taken a melatonin and those two really helped:sleep:
Once again, thanks for all your wonderful support. Yes, I feel like we are all such close friends on here. Makes life so much more wonderful:cheers:
 
night went to bed at 9:30 and slept till 9:30 this morning. Woke up a dozen times, but managed to actually fall back asleep
A good night's sleep is a wonderful recovery aid. Everything looks and feels better after a decent sleep.
 
Yay for some restorative rest! An adequate nights sleep can certainly can make or break a day.
Colds are miserable! I feel for you. Hopefully it's short-lived and you'll be able to not only celebrate hubs, but celebrate feeling better yourself. Maybe a nice dinner out to celebrate hubs, V Day and a new you! :wink: :yes::thumb:
@westiemom
 
I now have a horrible cold and have been miserable. Pacemaker surgery, TKR, covid and now a cold. Can't catch a break lately.
This is a lot for your body to heal from and the energy drain for healing is exhausting. No wonder you are struggling. :console2: One day at a time, and we’re here for you any time!
 
@beralc @Oldped @Layla @Andypandy
Thanks for the encouraging words and support. I am doing better than 2 weeks ago, knee-wise. Not sure about range of motion tho. I think that if it were JUST my TKR recovery to face, I would feel better. Everything all together just seems too much. And when I get a cold, my right eye tears constantly so I can only see out of my left eye, which is set for distance. So ignore any typos, I can't see much of what I'm typing.
I am so grateful for all the support y'all give me. It's just DH and me around here, with hardly any family left. I don't have any close friends where we live and the close friends I do have are scattered in the US. They check in with me, they send cards, they care. But they all have busy active lives with family around so I'm not a priority. And with Covid and now the cold, I don't have a voice to talk on the phone. DH can't understand me sitting right next to me. :gaah::gaah:
Dh's birthday is middle of February and I ordered him a birthday cake. He usually doesn't want one, but this year he said yes to make me happy. I mean, what is better than a good chocolate cake to cheer me up?? I know I pay a premium price for the cake, but she uses premium ingredients. My dad was a baker, so I'm a sucker for good ingredients in baked goods. I can taste artificial ingredients a mile off.
Last night went to bed at 9:30 and slept till 9:30 this morning. Woke up a dozen times, but managed to actually fall back asleep. Felt wonderful. I had drank Theraflu and taken a melatonin and those two really helped:sleep:
Once again, thanks for all your wonderful support. Yes, I feel like we are all such close friends on here. Makes life so much more wonderful:cheers:
So very pleased to hear you’ve slept, as you say everything looks different after sleep. The good thing about being on here is we all face things at different times, so can all be a support when we need it and the likelihood is that someone will have experienced what you’re going through or similar. It really does help knowing we’re all going through it together, but we also have the advantage of the wonderful moderators, not just to support us but also to give invaluable advice and solid medical knowledge which makes the difference from other forums.
Not sure what time it is with you but I’m off to sleep now, so enjoy the rest of your day everyone and hoping for brighter tomorrows ❤️
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@beralc
Just a suggestion, when you want to reply, rather than quoting the whole message, just go down to the reply box and type your reply. No need to quote if you are replying to the post directly above your reply. You can also mention the member you want to address by using the @ sign in front of their username (no space) and type your reply. Not quoting whole messages saves a lot of space on the page, and also saves duplicate reading.

If you want to quote just a line in a post, highlight that line.

At the bottom of the post you will see:

Like/ +Quote/ Quote this message.

Click the +Quote

When you get to the reply box, you will see where it says “insert quotes” Click that and it will put your highlighted area into your reply.

Happy Posting! :flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom