Guest viewing is limited

TKR Slow recovery from TKR

My GP gave me an Rx to help and I tried it last night - made me jittery as could be and didn't get to sleep till after 3 am
I'm sorry, westiemom. Hopefully you took the medication with some food, or a small snack. Are you able to try another medication? I wonder if some deep breathing, or light stretching or meditation will help relax you and ease any anxiety you're feeling as you are bouncing back from Covid. You should avoid over exerting as your recovering from the virus and I don't know how your OS can argue with that. Rest, stay adequately hydrated, eat a nutritious diet and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.

We're here any time you need to vent. :friends:
Doctors have to be so careful with meds because of my heart failure. I always have some club crackers next to me and a bottle of water so I can have a snack and sip of water anytime. I think this was a last resort med. It's not the first one I've tried that I have this same reaction to. Might just have to keep reading my kindle till I fall asleep! It's hard to force food in, since I lost all sense of taste. No matter what DH tries for me - including some of my favorite foods - it all tastes like cardboard. But I'm forcing it down.

It seems my Covid recovery is like my surgery recovery - one step forward, one step sideways, 2 steps back. I am so tired of resting on the couch, but just going to the bathroom and back exhausts me. I had my pacemaker surgery the end of August, my TKR in November and Covid in December. I feel like I haven't been normal for months and months and years, if you take into account how long it took for me to get my knee replacement when I was using a cane and scooter. Sometimes it's all I can do not to break down and just scream and cry.
 
Oh….dearest @westiemom ….. you are not alone in those feelings that this will never end. But we’re here for you! And I’m sending you a giant virtual hug!!! So many BoneSmarties have felt just like you and I hope that at least some will see your post and respond so you know there is light at the end of the tunnel. The surgery is always a pretty big deal. But honestly, for a lot of people the recovery is soooo much bigger and challenging. You have had a time of it between your heart and your knee. You’re allowed to have some of these feelings. Don’t ever hesitate to post when you start feeling those “blues” creep in. We get it and we’ll always be here for you. Perhaps you can find something fun to do for the weekend that will lighten your spirits.
 
Oh….dearest @westiemom ….. you are not alone in those feelings that this will never end. But we’re here for you! And I’m sending you a giant virtual hug!!! So many BoneSmarties have felt just like you and I hope that at least some will see your post and respond so you know there is light at the end of the tunnel. The surgery is always a pretty big deal. But honestly, for a lot of people the recovery is soooo much bigger and challenging. You have had a time of it between your heart and your knee. You’re allowed to have some of these feelings. Don’t ever hesitate to post when you start feeling those “blues” creep in. We get it and we’ll always be here for you. Perhaps you can find something fun to do for the weekend that will lighten your spirits.
Thank you for your words of encouragement. Somehow even if in your brain you understand you are not alone in your feelings and progress, in your heart you are just positive you will be THE ONE who never gets better. No matter how long or what possible re-surgeries or whatever. That is the scariest thing. The fear of never ever being better and always hurting and having to use a walker and not being able to have a normal life. That was the reason I wanted the TKR - because it's been so long since I could walk without pain or a cane or a scooter.

We are snowed in so nothing to do this weekend. We live very rural at the end of a dead end road. The mail lady didn't even make it back here today, so I'm stuck in the house this weekend. I just downloaded some new books to my Kindle, but even that gets old after awhile. DH thinks it's time to re-start my home exercises today since I'm getting over Covid and don't feel like death warmed over. I know he's right, but I just get blasted discouraged doing the exercises and realizing I'm not doing as good as 2 weeks ago.

This is just so blasted hard.
 
It definitely can be hard sometimes. Although I’ve always opted to do my surgeries in the winter so I could recover indoors and not long to be doing spring and summer things, I think winter is maybe not the best choice. Your spirits are just naturally better when you can get outdoors, even if it’s just to sit in the sun for a while. Spring is coming now that we’re over the Holiday Hump. Another month or so and we’ll be hearing about baseball spring training. And by then you will feel more like yourself….I’m sure of it. I think of all the things you’ve been through, the Covid is probably the worst as it just saps every ounce of your strength. Hang in there, my friend!
 
@westiemom you are not alone, so much you are feeling is normal for many of us. I have cried buckets, hate the situation I am in but have to try to be positive. Little and often heels slides seem to be helping, give them a try. I get 2 to 3 hours sleep so just exhausted and hard to get motivated . Thinking of you x
 
Sending you a big ((hug)) @westiemom

Covid does totally sap you, and on top of the insomnia and two month old knee it's an awful lot for a person to handle.

Your knee won't have a long term setback from this. Just as in the earliest days: take a short walk every hour - unless you're napping! The sleep is more important right now.

I agree with @Andypandy that just a few sessions of slow gentle heel slides, no more than six at a time, and maybe the same with quad sets, will keep things from feeling too stiff.
 
@westiemom we are finally getting snow here in northern Wisconsin- you’ve been getting all our snow! I’m thinking of shoveling a little , just our deck. My DH has spinal stenosis so I have been the one to clear the snow the last 4-5 years. He can snowblow the driveway,the snowblower gives him something to hold on to. I hope you’re feeling better. I took a break yesterday , just a few gentle bending sessions, no peddler. My lower back has been hurting, I think due to peddling. I actually feel more mobile after a rest. I’m trying to enjoy the snowy landscape and thinking positively. Hang in here, we’ll get there, maybe later but that’s ok!!
 
@westiemom we are finally getting snow here in northern Wisconsin- you’ve been getting all our snow! I’m thinking of shoveling a little , just our deck. My DH has spinal stenosis so I have been the one to clear the snow the last 4-5 years. He can snowblow the driveway,the snowblower gives him something to hold on to. I hope you’re feeling better. I took a break yesterday , just a few gentle bending sessions, no peddler. My lower back has been hurting, I think due to peddling. I actually feel more mobile after a rest. I’m trying to enjoy the snowy landscape and thinking positively. Hang in here, we’ll get there, maybe later but that’s ok!!
@Oldped
Yesterday DH and I did some exercises, the heel slides and holding my leg up and letting it droop (whatever that one's called) and more bending. Did have to take tramadol after tho. Then last night during my 2 hours of sleep, I managed to have a nightmare about my upcoming doctor visit and what they wanted to do. Even sleeping I can't get this all out of my mind!

I thought about getting a peddler - they're relatively cheap - but both the PT and surgeon said they don't really help. So I didn't. Now I'm re-thinking that decision.

Good news - my birthday is in a week and a half and my wonderful DH ordered a chocolate cake for me from the very best baker around. We will go pick it up - around 45 minutes each way - and I will devour it! With my heart problem, I'm usually on a pretty strict diet, so this is a huge splurge for me!

You can have the snow back your way! We usually have mild winters where we can sometimes go out on the deck for our afternoon coffee. I miss that cause it would be nice for the fresh air and sunshine. We're supposed to get frigid temps again next week so that's pretty crushed. I'll be out twice this week - doctor appointment and then the DMV - tho neither one is a "treat". Depending on how things go at the doctor, we might stop for lunch afterwards. We'll see how much energy I have. This covid has kicked my butt worse than the first time I had it.
:cheers:
 
I miscounted my weeks - actually it's 9 weeks on this coming Tuesday since my TKR. I have no idea why I thought I was further along than that. :scratch: So I'm two weeks ahead of what I was thinking!

I also used my cane for the first time to walk around the house. Shaky as could be, but DH was right there and held my left hand so if I became tipsy, he could catch me.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for all the scabs to fall off your leg? Also how long the bruises last? Or maybe it's all individual too? I still have some stubborn scabs, deep bruising and am numb around my knee.

Oh, did I tell y'all I actually woke up during the surgery and heard the doctor pounding my knee into place? Now that is the stuff of nightmares!!:heehee: Sounded like he was hitting fly balls in a bb game.
 
OH! I can't imagine waking up mid surgery, but while it's rare you're not the only BoneSmartie to report it!

The numb patch is normal. Over months it will change as some of the tiny sensory nerves start to wake up and regrow. You might experience this as a phase during which there are odd sensations, but those too, over the months, will change and fade.

Scabs and bruises are highly individual.
 
Hi westiemom,
Woohoo on the cane stroll around the house! Keep practicing with hubs, you'll get there.:yes:

If your circulation is slower than normal it may take longer for the bruising to resolve. Slower healing can also result in longer scabbing. The blood thinners also can prolong bruising, if that applies. If you have sensitive skin and its thin, scabs can take longer to heal, so the timeline is variable.

If the wound looks healthy, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's not red, or draining anything.
Ice can help reduce inflammation which may help with the bruising as well as elevation, which helps with circulation. If you're concerned, don't hesitate to call or send a photo to your OS for reassurance. The effort may be worth the peace of mind.
Oh, did I tell y'all I actually woke up during the surgery and heard the doctor pounding my knee into place? Now that is the stuff of nightmares!!:heehee: Sounded like he was hitting fly balls in a bb game.
Hahahaha! :rotfl:

Thanks for the laugh! I hope you have a good week.
 
Good luck on all your travels @westiemom , hope your car rides are comfortable. The cake sounds delicious, it will wake up your Covid taste buds. Don’t eat it all in 1 day. I actually like to freeze leftover cake and eat it frozen. I have the numb patch too, I can feel underneath it but not on top- very weird. Congrats on the cane, it will get easier. I’m walking without anything inside, use the cane if I go out, I used my snow shovel like a cane outside today
 
Also I’m going to lay off the peddler, seems to bother my lower back/ hip/ ankle/ foot, just do some bending.
 
Also I’m going to lay off the peddler, seems to bother my lower back/ hip/ ankle/ foot, just do some bending.
Sounds like a respite at least from the peddler and see how you feel after a day or two of not peddling.
 
Good luck on all your travels @westiemom , hope your car rides are comfortable. The cake sounds delicious, it will wake up your Covid taste buds. Don’t eat it all in 1 day. I actually like to freeze leftover cake and eat it frozen. I have the numb patch too, I can feel underneath it but not on top- very weird. Congrats on the cane, it will get easier. I’m walking without anything inside, use the cane if I go out, I used my snow shovel like a cane outside today
I'm hoping I can taste it! DH went and got pizza once since that's usually a no-no also. Tasted just like...cardboard. He only got me the 5inch smash cake so I can't go too overboard on that size. DH likes his cake cold from the fridge; I like mine just room temp. But it's chocolate - any way it's served, it's good!

It's the weirdest thing about the no feeling thing. It's like it's someone else's knee stuck in my leg. I can't believe it will ever feel like "me" again. I have a little alien thing living inside me now.
 
@Layla

:thankyou: Thanks for the info about my scabbing. Yes, I have thin skin and still have marks on my legs from dog scratches a year ago. I thought about sending a pix to my OS but decided it wasn't oozing or anything - just still purply and scabs at the bottom. Have an appointment Wed so will see what he thinks when he sees it.
 
I'm sure your surgeon will confirm those scabs are nothing to worry about. It's just your body taking its sweet time to heal properly. This is a good thing. Your upcoming cake-a-thon sounds fabulous. Pretend your just one year old again and dive in like a kid!! Hope you can taste it.

[Bonesmart.org] Slow recovery from TKR
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom