MUA Sleeping on my side, 5 weeks post TKR

The ice cream van is just up the road, a 99 is a cornet with swirly ice cream and a chocolate flake. I am just off to buy one
Absolutely amazed you had an ice cream van out in the Winter. The weather was vile here in London yesterday- filthy rain and wind, the tail end of the storm in the North. Much as I love a 99 - I wouldn't have fancied ice cream yesterday here!
 
The ice cream van is just up the road, a 99 is a cornet with swirly ice cream and a chocolate flake. I am just off to buy one
Absolutely amazed you had an ice cream van out in the Winter. The weather was vile here in London yesterday- filthy rain and wind, the tail end of the storm in the North. Much as I love a 99 - I wouldn't have fancied ice cream yesterday here!
I think she was talking figuratively
 
@beralc @westiemom @Oldped sorry late in posting my special friends, but been in a bit of a to do!!!!! Basically, I have 4 weeks to get to bend of 90 or MUA following week. I can't fault my surgeon, he really is supportive, explained that because I can't take antinflamatories and very limited painkillers, possible problem from beginning. He's done 1 mua in 2 years same problem as mine. So, up to me, I will persevere with this bend but at the same time I just cannot beat myself up anymore. I am in constant pain as paracetamol alone just don't do anything. Have to speak with doctor tomorrow and let you know if there's anything that they can chance with my horrendous stomach problem. Also, I have to ask for sleeping tablets as 2 hours a night is not enough. That I agree, I am totally washed out and now totally fed up. I hope you are having good days, I am going to look for the ice cream van. Wish you well and thank you x
 
Hoping for the best, don’t give up. There’s got to be something that can help your pain without hurting your stomach. Hopefully too something to help with sleep. I’ve been taking magnesium glycinate, helps with sleep, doesn’t bother my sensitive stomach. Lots can change in 4 weeks, keep up with elevating and icing. We’ll get there eventually. I got some bad news too, tried to set up an appt with specialist ortho, might take 8 months. It’s 4 hrs away, going to look for someone closer, but probably less experience. So here we are! Still thinking knee, knee, knee, but you understand.
 
A caution: an MUA works to fix only one thing: scar tissue.

Even those folks with lots of inflammation and swelling don't necessarily grow this particular form of "scar tissue" (some people are prone to developing adhesions after surgery, be it abdominal or orthopedic).

It would be good for you to keep focusing on reducing inflammation and swelling, then ask him to tell you why he thinks it's scar tissue as opposed to just recalcitrant swelling.

It's true that some of our members have done very well following a MUA.

It's also true that some of our members didn't and it was a considerable setback, physically and emotionally.

We will support you fully whatever your decision is.
 
@Andypandy
I understand your concern. My ROM is just not getting much better and I still have some swelling, purple bruising and 2 scabs that won't come off. I had decided I wasn't going to do a MUA on my last appointment, but I have certainly been questioning that decision. I can't walk very long without pain and I still limp horribly. Did I make the right decision to turn down the MUA?
I am so afraid I am never ever going to be as good as I was before the surgery even. I'm sorry to be such a downer, but today was just not a good day for me either.
I took one of my xanax that was prescribed for my flying anxiety and slept pretty good that night. Can you take that kind of medication? It's just so hard to face the day when we haven't gotten any good sleep and we're worn out from dealing with the constant ache and pain.
I am so sorry you had such a lousy day. Hoping tomorrow will be better for you. :console2:
 
@mendogal thank you for your support. I am confused, the swelling is going down as to previously, still happens on certain activities. I didn't think to ask him why, how foolish, could it be adhesions? or just the swelling? Catch 22, 4 weeks of pushing to get bend but if swelling keeps reoccurring it's not going to happen is it. In a real mess at moment, hopefully will get some sleep aid from doctor today and see how the next few days go. So appreciate your support and all advice. Thank you x
 
Also, I have to ask for sleeping tablets as 2 hours a night is not enough. That I agree, I am totally washed out
My GP agreed to prescribe zopiclone for sleep, once I was off any opiates.
They are not keen on sleeping tablets but she agreed that knee replacement was a sufficient reason.
I think getting a decent amount of sleep really helped with everything- swelling/ inflammation and mood. Sleep is an important part of recovery.
 
@mendogal sorry, meant to say, my hubby reminded me that surgeon said: as the swelling is starting to go down, then it's my job to get that bend. I guess I now have to monitor week by week if I can achieve it. Thank you. Sorry bit mudly, head over working x
 
I don't sleep well anymore since the menopause. I used the zopiclone sparingly and alternated it with a sedative antihistamine that you can buy in the chemist in the UK ( diphenhydramine- Nytol).
 
@beralc @westiemom @Oldped sorry late in posting my special friends, but been in a bit of a to do!!!!! Basically, I have 4 weeks to get to bend of 90 or MUA following week. I can't fault my surgeon, he really is supportive, explained that because I can't take antinflamatories and very limited painkillers, possible problem from beginning. He's done 1 mua in 2 years same problem as mine. So, up to me, I will persevere with this bend but at the same time I just cannot beat myself up anymore. I am in constant pain as paracetamol alone just don't do anything. Have to speak with doctor tomorrow and let you know if there's anything that they can chance with my horrendous stomach problem. Also, I have to ask for sleeping tablets as 2 hours a night is not enough. That I agree, I am totally washed out and now totally fed up. I hope you are having good days, I am going to look for the ice cream van. Wish you well and thank you x
Oh dear @Andypandy such a lot to contend with isn’t it and without sleep I can’t imagine how difficult making decisions and trying to keep your spirits up must be. Added to that the lack of good analgesia, I think you need to give yourself a big pat on the back for staying as positive as you have. Sleep is so vital not just healing but how we’re able to face things.

Praying there’s something they can let you try that works. I think @mendogal is right the MUA is something you’ll have to really consider carefully, but in a sense your decision is made more difficult because you can’t see if scar tissue is the problem. Whatever decision you make you’ll hopefully make it with lots of support both here and your medical team.
4 weeks is a reasonable amount of time to work on it all, so who knows something might change in that time, we’re all here to listen and support you and you have the benefit of consistent advice and support from the brilliant team here. Sending you hugs :console2:
 
@Andypandy
I understand your concern. My ROM is just not getting much better and I still have some swelling, purple bruising and 2 scabs that won't come off. I had decided I wasn't going to do a MUA on my last appointment, but I have certainly been questioning that decision. I can't walk very long without pain and I still limp horribly. Did I make the right decision to turn down the MUA?
I am so afraid I am never ever going to be as good as I was before the surgery even. I'm sorry to be such a downer, but today was just not a good day for me either.
I took one of my xanax that was prescribed for my flying anxiety and slept pretty good that night. Can you take that kind of medication? It's just so hard to face the day when we haven't gotten any good sleep and we're worn out from dealing with the constant ache and pain.
I am so sorry you had such a lousy day. Hoping tomorrow will be better for you. :console2:
Hoping and praying for a better day for you ❤️
 
@beralc thank you for your kind support. Doctor called this morning, had a good chat and has given me mirtazipan, to help with the anxiety and sleep, I hope. Never tried it before but I have to have something to help get me over this awful phase, really got a hold on me. Will go back on 15mg codiene 3 x day, it seems the night dose was not good for my stomach. Have to make sure you eat and that's not easy in the night. Started the exercise he wants me to focus on and now ice and elevating. You're right about knowing if it's scar tissue being the problem, something I will discuss when I next see him. Anyway, how are you doing. Sounds like your scar is all good, mine is better since using the bio oil, it was so dry. Hope you have recovered from your outing, at least we know resting after any untoward event is key. Take it steady and as always wish you and all of us a good recovery x
 
@Andypandy hope that helps your sleep, if you can’t rest that just makes everything worse. Not a good night for me, slept until 4:30 AM, son got up to go ice fishing , he and DH were talking and banging around in kitchen, then I started thinking and no more sleep for me. Maybe a nap today but sometimes then it’s harder to go to sleep. We just have to plug away, have patience.
 
@Andypandy @Oldped Having had my ill health issues since I was in my mid 30s and now 63 I’ve had a long time to adapt and needed to learn ways of coping with sleeplessness, pain and exhaustion etc. one thing I realised was that when I stressed out about not sleeping, I found I was going to bed every night telling myself I wasn’t going to sleep. Of course your brain basically believes you and gets into a habit of not sleeping, even when some of the issues around not sleeping ,have been resolved.

It would take too long to explain how I overcame this,but if you can go to rest/sleep telling yourself it doesn’t matter if I don’t sleep now, I can sleep later,tell yourself, if it’s the case (hopefully your pain will be better controlled) my pain levels are ok I’ve got all my lovely soft blankets and pillows around me. And basically tell yourself all the reasons why you can sleep. Supportive family, lovely comfortable room, warm blankets soft cushions you get the idea. I’m not saying it will work every time but worth a try. Welcome sleep wherever it comes and make a big deal of telling yourself “I can sleep”, whenever you have managed to sleep.

I take Naproxen for inflammation and you need make sure to eat with that,so during this period I’ve had a box of biscuits/cookies on my bedside table at night. I’m allowing myself some different habits ie eating biscuits cookies at night after cleaning my teeth,because it’s what I need to do for now. Just do whatever works at this point. Maybe get something you know you’d enjoy in order to take the medication at night @Andypandy

Not sure if that sounds like a load of baloney but thought I’d share :heehee:
 
@beralc certainly worth a try! I’m lucky, not too much pain but more my brain won’t turn off and quit ruminating. Sometimes I walk through he rooms of my gran’s house or my house growing up and that puts m to sleep. I generally fall asleep ok, just waking up in the night and hen staying awake.
 
@beralc all makes sense and thank you. I do try different techniques but my mind wanders so quickly. I practice mindfulness and tia chi, certainly all makes sense. Your bedside sounds similar to mine, little picnic my hubby sets up for night time meds. And yes, so much we wouldn't even think of doing seems OK at the moment. I can't take naproxen, has asprin in it and allergic to asprin, and most other anti inflammatories just don't like me. Took the mirtazipan last night and experienced this strange thing called SLEEP :dancy:. Slept from8.00 to 12.30 terrible restless leg syndrome, part of the meds, sprayed my feet with Magnesium, woke around 05.30 ish. Will cut tab in half tonight 15mg at moment, and hopefully will still help. So, will continue with this bend exercise he's suggested and see how I can progress. Feels slightly better when walking. I have just received appointment with consultant 28th February, thats my deadline. Maybe before then I will have some indication if this is scar adhesions. Very hard to know what's right and what's wrong, but if I haven't achieved the goal by then, I have to go with my gut feeling. How are you progressing, are you having PT or managing your own. To be honest as long as you can cope at home there's not too much they can do, other than push you as we hear so many times. My first words are always, please do not touch me. Hope you have a good day, take it steady, we know when we are ready. X
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom