MUA Sleeping on my side, 5 weeks post TKR

Glad you are feeling better and haven't slipped back in terms of your flexion- despite your illness. That's really good news. Hopefully, the better weather will help as well.
 
@ Westiemom glad you’re doing well! Send me some sun, please. Snow here last night and more tonight, pretty but slippery. I’m coming down with the nasty cold hubby and son have had, Joe it’s not too miserable. I’m having a pretty decent day todays, too, after feeling a bit down yesterday. What is with this sleep thing? I fall asleep ok, but wake up a couple of times, sometimes can’t go back to sleep, thinking about calling for meds too.
 
Hello all my friends, strange but I have had a better day too! Maybe we’re psychically connected?? Is that even a word? I also didn’t realize it’s Groundhog Day! Every day is Groundhog Day for us. I’m having some sleep issues too, fall asleep ok, wake up and can’t go back to sleep, so annoying. I don’t have a lot of pain so why?? I have usually been a great sleeper and napper maybe because during my working life I missed a lot of sleep being on call and getting up to go the hospital or emergency room. Life goes on , yes spring will come and we can plant flowers, yay !
 
I have my "andypandy" head on at the moment and hoping to clear it with some guidance. First thing in the morning, walking, knee feels like cement, swollen, and can't feel that nice little bend. So before getting on with exercises, it's ice machine. So demoralising as during the day starting to achieve a better bend. Is this normal or do I have a problem? Thank you x
 
@Andypandy my knee feels less swollen, less log like when I first get up, seems stiffer after I’ve been up walking. And feels less stiff after icing/ elevating during the day, so don’t know. You would think the swelling would be less after lying down?? I don’t elevate at night, just have leg on pillow lengthwise under op leg, use cryocuff most of night , sometimes on side with cuff infer knee. I’m taking a day off from exercise today, hubs and son’s rotten cold has now passed to me.
 
@Oldped oh no, you don't need more grief. Best not to do too much, just take it easy. Yes when I get up straight to bathroom and by the time I'm finished, quite swollen. Not been good today as overdid exercises yesterday. How you get it right beats me. 3 or 4 x a day is what we are advised , go over that very fine line and that's it. Just a couple gentle moves today and walking. Ice and elevate. I sleep with a pillow under my leg, sometimes get an hour on either side. Grab an ice pack during the night and hot water bottle for my back.
 
@Oldped do you have the ice machine going through the night? I couldn't cope with the cold. Wish you better x
 
@Andypandy
Today my cold is much better. I still don't have a voice but I'm just glad I feel like I am going to live. The sunny day and feeling better and not coughing and sneezing makes me feel quite giddy.:happydance:Also got quite decent sleep last night as hubby slipped me one of his sedatives he has for anxiety. I haven't had that good of sleep since before my pacemaker surgery in August. :zzz:
Hopefully your cold won't keep you down too much.
 
@Oldped do you have the ice machine going through the night? I couldn't cope with the cold. Wish you better x
I ice machine is not as cold as ice, just seems to help me sleep, sometimes turn it off. I have heated mattress pad on bed, so not too cold. Also I think it’s maybe like white noise helping me sleep??
 
@EalingGran moderators, now the Insiders Club is open for subscription does that mean we won't get queries answered/access threads if we don't subscribe. I Posted yesterday for advice and didn't receive reply and tried a couple of threads but not open?
Thank you x
 
Hello all my friends, strange but I have had a better day too! Maybe we’re psychically connected?? Is that even a word? I also didn’t realize it’s Groundhog Day! Every day is Groundhog Day for us. I’m having some sleep issues too, fall asleep ok, wake up and can’t go back to sleep, so annoying. I don’t have a lot of pain so why?? I have usually been a great sleeper and napper maybe because during my working life I missed a lot of sleep being on call and getting up to go the hospital or emergency room. Life goes on , yes spring will come and we can plant flowers, yay !
Really pleased you also had a better day. Yes let’s presume we’re all connected and sending positive vibes across the world.
Hope the sleep issues improve it’s so vital isn’t it.
 
Hi Andypandy,
Experiencing the morning heaviness or stiffness, especially at less than two months post op is common.
Swelling can last for months, even up to a year for some, gradually easing over time. Our circulation slows overnight which can lead to that morning heaviness and stiffness. If you are comfortable elevating overnight,
try that. Otherwise try it along with some icing in the morning so you don't feel like the Tin Man in need of
his O-I-L CAN, lol :wink:

We're thankful you're a part of the community and your questions and support of others is part of what makes the BoneSmart experience so special, Andypandy. We are shifting to a subscription model and encouraging members to take their experience here to the next level. We appreciate and value your support as part of this community. For an enhanced experience here, we'd like to encourage you to join the Insiders Club which allows special perks above the basics, making the most of what BoneSmart has to offer. If you're interested, we'd love to have you join us!

Join Insiders Club

As a Basic BoneSmart Member, you ll have access to core features of the forum, but some areas and functions are reserved for upgraded memberships. For an enriched experience including the ability to start your own threads and engage in discussions with members and staff about your specific concerns we invite you to join the Insiders Club. Upgrading not only unlocks full access to all forum features, but also provides valuable services like assistance with locating a surgeon, helpful downloads, and entry to the BoneSmart Library filled with videos and in depth articles to support you on your joint replacement journey. Please join us!

Here is a link to check out basic membership vs Insider Club membership ->

Have a great Tuesday! :)
 
For my first knee replacement I used a "donut" toilet height riser. This was difficult for my husband, since it required him to aim better than he can (in his 80's), so this time I ordered a Centoco 3" elevated toilet seat (also made by Kohler and Bemis), which is like a regular toilet seat, with hidden risers underneath. Both lid and seat flip up for the males in the house. A plumber installed mine, but a handyman, or anyone strong enough could install it. Before my first surgery I had a handicap grip installed next to my toilet, and the other side is the sink. But STILL it was very hard getting on and off the toilet. Because my toilet was installed on a wall (like in public bathrooms), and hung too low, it was VERY hard for me to get off the toilet right after surgery. Sometimes I sat there a half hour, and tried several times before I could put out sufficient effort and endure the pain of standing up. My husband was not willing/able to help me, because he's dealing with prostate cancer, so is weaker than I am, so it was up to me. Without the 1 grab bar and very sturdy sink on the opposite side it would have been impossible. Grab bars are available at hardware stores and online, then get a handyman. If you have space you might be able to move a table on either side of the toilet or a stack of boxes... anything you could push down on. My bathroom does not have room for that, and barely room for 1 person.
 
I ordered a Centoco 3" elevated toilet seat (also made by Kohler and Bemis), which is like a regular toilet seat, with hidden risers underneath. Both lid and seat flip up for the males in the house. A plumber installed mine, but a handyman, or anyone strong enough could install it.
This is a new one for me. Sounds like a great alternative to check out and add to our Recovery Aids.
Thanks for sharing this @SunnyKnitterGal :thumb:
 
@beralc funny was just thinking about you all this morning. Not too bad, repetitive days of bends and elevating as still trying to get this last bit of swelling down. Doing more around now and being very aware of knee, straight into bedroom for ice and elevate or just elevate when it tells me enough! Just doesn't like standing too long, then swelling. Still the same as 1inch bigger in circumference as the other knee. Patience is the magic word and I came to accept this couple of weeks ago after getting my self in a todo. Sleeping on both sides, albeit not too long and on back in-between, but when I turn my leg to go on side, I am getting a horrid pull like pain at back of knee. Don't get it other times so I need to investigate. Starting my iron again today as stopped codeine, my levels have dropped again and I really know it. November was ferritin 22 got it up to 30 before surgery but down again. As I don't eat meat I know that doesn't help but my diet is pretty well balanced. More bloods in 2 weeks. Also they do a Fit test. How are you now, are you on a supplement for iron. Hope you are progressing and over your aches from your bath accident. Take it easy, I think we know we have to be mindful and stop off at the ice cream van now and then xx
 
Still experiencing this heaviness after moving around and swelling, knee doesn't like activity. Icing and elevating which takes the swelling down and then off to wander, do bits and it's back. Doing the bend exercises which consultant wanted me to concentrate on but can only see a fraction of progress in 1 week. 1inch difference in circumference to other knee is still the same. Anyway is this normal, I will be 9 weeks tomorrow, just want to walk normal, Jake the Peg leg comes to mind:heehee:
 
Back
Top Bottom