TKR Sleep is back - now for more recovery!

@susanne It's Zopiclone. Metallic taste for sure. I'm only taking 1/2 a pill for 5-7 days to see if it gets me back into my sleep cycle. I never had a sleepless night in my life until this so I'm hopeful. My GP knows me well and is amazing.

@Polkadot - I am so happy I have helped you. You're an inspiration and have helped me put this in perspective. My son is 16 and a very helpful young man, but also very busy and not driving yet.

I will be changing the title of my thread soon. I am having odd sensations in my knee and leg. All in good time.

I hope one day I am able to help others on here like all of you are helping me!

Best, Dawn

You can't buy a good night's sleep, and it's one of the most important things we can have!

Is that you on your bike post-op?
Yes, that's me and that's my bike. It's a low entry bike, so I don't have to step real high to get over the rail. It was so long that my knee was too painful to do much riding. Now, I can! Even with this bad foot and ankle, I can still ride!

Two or three days ago, at just over 4 weeks post-op, it began to feel like my new knee is actually a small, heavy bag of cement where my old knee used to be. My mobility has also become a bit more difficult (or I might just be tired). That is the best way I can think to describe it. I am acutely aware of it and I had not had the sensation previously.

Has anyone else felt this during your recovery? Did it pass?
Any ideas why?

Again, your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you, Dawn

Yes, that seems to happen to a lot of people. Some of them call it "log leg".
It's probably still the result of swelling.
And yes, it will go away.

Check again with this article, to make sure that, as you feel a bit better you haven't increased your activity too quickly:
Activity progression for TKRs

@JDP, yes, I can relate to what I thought of as "Cement Knee." Sometimes, I was convinced there was a small, heavy bowling ball in there as well, rocking back and forth when I changed positions in bed or on the recliner. My leg certainly felt heavier than the natural side. I came home from the hospital with these sensations and it took quite some time to improve, probably at least 8-10 weeks total and it still wasn't exactly *perfect*, but much better. The only *fix* besides time I know of is ice, elevation, some massage and only gentle exercise. Boring, I know, but that's what helped me. Now, do you need a refill on your "Shiny Red Box of Patience?" I have a surplus piled up in my garage, so just say the word and it will appear!:console2:

Take @Pheebs52 up on the Red Box of Patience refill, because this is the stretch of recovery where we all need it the most. :umm:

I had both knees done, and both felt (and sometimes still feel) "heavier" than the knees they replaced. Not by a lot, but our bodies are sensitive instruments, so even a little difference gets noticed. For the first three months, the knees felt strange when I would lie in bed. They didn't rest happily one atop the other when I'd try to sleep. They were too heavy. I'd put a pillow between them to make that less of an issue. But I've gotten used to the knees and now don't notice that "heaviness" at all.

Ah yes, "log leg" -- Armed with the shiny red box of patience and the mantra "This too shall pass" hopefully you will be able to weather these "normal" aspects of recovery. I still get "log leg" if I have been standing in one place for a long time. It's always interesting to me that my new knee is much happier walking for a couple of miles than standing in one place for 15-20 minutes. Hope the sleep fairy visits you real soon!

Log leg, cement knee, sleeping pills, and a box of patience are all things I truly didn't think I'd ever possess. :scare:

I am attempting to make the most of them as I work my way down this recovery road which is longer than I imagined. :tiredwheel:

I will be taking more time off of work than my planned 8 weeks. Even though I have a home office, and can delay any travel, I know I need more time to recover psychologically and rest, no matter my physical state. Many of you may say "I told you so!".:chinstroke:

:thankyou:

Dawn

We would never say "I told you so" because most of us had no idea about all of this ourselves. It's amazing how little we learn about what to expect in recovery from our surgeons. Thankfully we found BoneSmart.

I was joking but "ain't that the truth!".
I am and will be forever grateful to Bonesmart and all of you wonderful people.

I'm just so happy you arranged more time off from work! Your recovery will be much less stressful without worrying about having to "speed it up" so you can return to your job. Not that it can be speeded up, but people feel compelled to try. :oyvey:

@SusieShoes - Thank you.
I think I will take the 12 weeks. I was worried about having enough time for my left knee (the"next one") to allow full salary but I have to take 1 knee at a time! I already feel more relaxed.
I have a hair appointment today and can't wait!!!!!

Good choice on postponing your return to work! Getting the hair done is always uplifting. Embrace your "Log Leg," (softly, of course,) and "Rock-On!" You've got this @JDP!

Well, it's about time I shared some good news. I had my best day yet, in the 5 weeks since my surgery, yesterday. It followed sleep! I made all the meals, rested, iced, light exercise, and had an outing with my son - felt almost "normal".

I saw my private physiotherapist this week as well who boosted my confidence and REALLY listened. It was very refreshing.

I know there may still be some bad days ahead but the "old Dawn" is starting to peep through.

i am so thrilled to hear this JDP. enjoy all those outings with your son while he's still at home. you'll soon be glad you have a healthy new and functional knee. enjoy this weather that we should have had in summer!:SUNsmile:

Yeah for sleep and a great day! So glad you also had a good physio visit. Hopefully you are turning a corner with more good days to come. :loveshwr:

A few good days and a fair night's sleep last night without a sleeping pill! :sleep:

I have 3 questions for you all......

- In your experience, did your "cement knee" dissipate over time? It is driving me batty!

- My swelling seems to be "stuck" for the past week (just over 5 weeks post-op) - meaning I have seen no improvement lately. Has that happened to any of you?

- My heels are very sore. It might be some plantar fasciitis (I've had it in the past.) Any words of wisdom? I have been on my feet more as time goes by.........

As always, thank you for your help, experience sharing, and support.

Dawn

I was stuck at 95 flexion for 3 weeks, then it started improving again. No reason I could tell but I got a lot of improvement between WEEKS 6 TO 8. I'm 11 weeks out now and the new knee bends nearly as far as the non operated one but not quite.

I have been diagnosed with plantars fascitis in the past. It will go away for months, somtimes years, but can act up again in certain situation especially extreme overactivity. I did feel like it was coming on again a few weeks after surgery as I started moving around a bit more. I can't remember exactly when but probably close to where you are in time. I did my little stretches and rolled my foot over a frozen water bottle like they taught me the first time I had it and it disappeared in several days without too much of a fuss. I think I caught it before it got to be a real issue. My theory is it might have to do with a new gait putting pressure on different body parts and muscles being asked to move in new ways. I have been fine since that point with no more flare ups.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back