TKR Sleep is back - now for more recovery!

Well, you could think of it as now you've gotten the insomnia, blue, and fatigue out of the way sooner. :snork: I wouldn't have known to expect those things had I not read about them here before surgery. Didn't make it any more enjoyable to go through, though. :groan:
 
Hello @SusieShoes! I am constantly surprised and perplexed that these side effects are so common, but no medical professional I mention them to, nor people in general, are aware of them. :shrug:
My private physiotherapist encouraged me today :yahoo:so my anxiety in regards to the "MUA threat" :scary:from my OS at my 6 week follow-up is starting to dissipate. :bath:
 
@JDP, I really hope you managed to catch some deep zzz's last night, even if only for a few hours! When I was in that sleepless stage, I'd get up and do something....anything, rather than toss and turn in discomfort. And it WAS typically discomfort/pain that woke me. I was fortunate to regain relatively normal sleep again by around 7-8 weeks post-op and have no idea why, since many here do not. It's a mystery, and in my opinion, one of the very worst aspects of recovery that no one tells us about in advance; harumph!
 
Sharing a triumph......
I slept painkiller and sleeping pill free for 12 hours last night! (I still take 4000 mg of acetaminophen a day, but sleep is my priority now.) That is the old Dawn and the first time since my surgery I slept more than 2 hours in a row.
Fingers crossed it lasts!
 
I hope it lasts for you, too! Just be prepared for a two-steps-forward, one-step-back scenario, and maybe it won't happen to you. :fingersx::) :-) (:

There's probably a good explanation for why many of us have a good night or two and then a bad one: When we get a good night's sleep, we are more energized the next day and may overdo a bit without noticing it. One thing I know for sure about this journey: Overdoing = Discomfort and sometimes Pain = Difficulty Sleeping. :bored:
 
I understand completely! I am a just a few years younger than you - creeping up on 39 - with three daughters ages 6, 7 and 10, and a son aged 16. I run my own freelancing business as a marketing consultant, as well as working outside the house for two different companies. One has had to hire other people since my surgery, which means I likely won't get that job back, and my other outside job involves running around a lot to different clients. My freelance clients are getting antsy, so I'm trying to focus enough to do website content creation - and it's REALLY not my best work, plus I keep falling asleep :mcoffee:

It is so, so hard to go from being needed and independent to having to rely on others. I am married, and he is beyond wonderful about all of this, but I am really crabby when I can't do things. He's been taking my daughters to all of the "mom" things I usually do - ballet, karate, Girl Scouts, school festivals, etc.

And sleep? Ah, sleep. We bought a recliner so I could sleep comfortably with my knee elevated. Seemed like a great idea. The only problem is my girls were really worried when I was in the hospital, so they feel better if they come down in the night and sleep with me. It would be comical if I actually got any sleep in this scenario - the 6 year old ends up in the recliner WITH me, the 10-year-old ends up on the couch, and the 7-year-old ends up on the floor. Adorable - and no sleep for me!

I'm glad you have a son who is being a big help to you! I'm sorry that you're feeling blue. I've been experiencing this, too. If it makes you feel any better, I cried for half an hour last night because my scar is ugly and crooked (which hadn't bothered me at all before) :bawl:

Hang in there!
 
JDP, I just discovered your thread and read through it this afternoon. About the blues - they come and go. I'm sure we all get them. My doctor never specifically said to expect them, but on the questionnaire I had to fill out before surgery it asked about mental health issues. Buried in the written information I was given about recovery was a sentence about many people feeling house bound and a little depressed at week four. TKR is a trauma to your body and I wish docs would explain in full to their patients what recovery will be like. I was told that sleep would be difficult and to nap when possible for the first several weeks. That was good advice. How awesome that you slept last night! @Polkadot, I agree on that over doing it leads to pain leads to no sleep. I am a member of long standing in the ODIC. Still sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it. JDP, it is great news that your physiotherapist encouraged you this week - it sounds as if you are making good progress in your recovery. :egypdance:
 
@JDP ~ that is fantastic you are getting consistent sleep, which helps with everything. yes, those first few weeks are rough, to say the least. things can only get better from now on.:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you @liam2015! I hope you are doing well. I saw my surgeon today and he's pleased. I'm going to private physio 1x a week, osteopathy and RMT once a week, and hitting the pool, rower, recumbent bike, lifting (upper body only), and driving around town and taking in my son's hockey games!
They all make such a huge difference for me.
And you made a huge difference for me! Thank you.
 
Yeah for sleep!!!! So happy for you -- everything seems to be much better when you are getting more sleep! Glad that you got a good report from the surgeon! Now don't go crazy with all of those activities . . . . :yes:
 
Sharing good news again. Yesterday I went for a walk in the woods with my friend who happens to be a physiotherapist. It was the best rehab one could ask for - emotionally and physically - she evaluated my gait and we practised steps on rocks. 1.5 weeks until I return to work. These past couple of weeks have made me realize I will likely eventually enjoy retirement!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Sleep is back - now for more recovery!
    20171101_120342.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 188
Oh, wow. That's so beautiful! And you... you look so happy and relaxed. Walking can be therapeutic, and not just for knees. It helps us reconnect with what's around us: sights, sounds, smells, and just the wonderful feel of our bodies in motion. My knees love their morning walks, even the very long ones that tire the rest of me out. Sounds like you've made it over the hump, and can see the rest of the road. :)
 
Yes! I am happy, happy to know hiking will be back, in my future. Thank you @SusieShoes and all - from the bottom of my heart!
 
I am just a little over 8 weeks post op and sleep is elusive. But I have found things to fill those crazy hours that I
wake up like 1:30 a.m. May these will help you, first I learned As crazy as it may sound I have tried to open up
about what’s going on in my recovery on this forum. These people are amazing with suggestions and help. I also
find taking naps help sometime they are on purpose other times it’s just watching tv next thing you know it two hours later. I wish you the best I have been told it is just my body healing.
 
You look great, @JDP! What a beautiful place to walk. I'm glad you are over the hump and on your way to being able to do what you want!
 
Hello folks. I have a question. My OS recommened a thigh high compression stocking for my swelling (not the sexy kind - the therapeutic kind - lol). I have used smaller ones for heavy lifting in the gym in the past, but not for swelling. Do you have any experience or advice regarding these? Thanks!
 
I'll ask @skigirl to come and talk to you. I remember that she used some sort of compression hose to help reduce swelling when she went back to work.

Meanwhile, continue to rest, ice and elevate your knee - it's still early days in this year-long recovery and I remember that my knee continued to swell occasionally (especially after increased activity) until about 9 months post-op.
 
I used thigh high compression stockings for swelling and also when I began to work. I bought them online at discount surgical stockings---they had black ones!! I think I just bought a low compression---don't do anything drastic. I think the thigh high ones are better than the knee highs for swelling. They were quite effective, when i would take them off and work, there was more swelling.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom