TKR Sleep is back - now for more recovery!

hi JDP (1) yes the cement knee dissipated over time but i can't remember exactly when; (2) yes my swelling was stuck for months, in fact in the last month i've noticed it is slowly subsiding. i now have pockets/dimples in place of one whole swollen knee; (3) i've had plantar fasciitis before also, around 8 or 9 years ago, haven't had it since. i learned here on Bone Smart that we should consider buying new shoes after surgery as the old ones have the previous gait patterns which could be hindering our new gait. i don't know if it would help with your heel or not. Jajakio gave you some good advice if it is p.f. (just a few more days of this heat thank goodness ~ stay cool).
 
#1 and #2) Yes, kinda/sorta, lol. Mine had almost dissipated at around Week 12. Then I had a little mishap on a bike that resulted in lots of swelling and pain. Basically, I gave myself an MUA. That swelling is what's responsible for the cement knee. It is now beginning to dissipate again, just not quickly enough; hah!

However, OS tells me some residual swelling and tightness will remain for at least 6 months, more often 9 months and sometimes 12 months. It's the nature of the beast.

It can drive me nuts if I let it. I try not to let it. I tell myself I am stronger than it. It also means I distract myself as much as possible and try not to let it keep me from doing things I enjoy, within reason, of course. At 4.5 months, there isn't much I can't do, but often, have to limit the time of activities. I'm a "Slow Bender/Slow Healer, so you may experience a much quicker goodbye to all these aggravations.

3) My feet were killing me for the first 6-8 weeks. I blamed it on my newly, altered and awkward gait. I wore very supportive shoes to combat it and changed shoes often, sometimes several times a day. As my gait improved, so did my feet; phew! But, this does not mean you don't have plantar fascitiis; you may. If you are wearing shoes that you wore pre-tkr, I suggest you toss them and buy new ones because your old gait pattern is worn into those old shoes and it no longer works.

Howz dat?
 
1) cement leg dissipates but I still get it if I stand in one place for too long
2) I'm a sweller so still swell at 20 weeks. Sometimes worse than others, but generally all the time. 3) no help for you on this one. Hang in there!
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
How could I have forgotten to mention membership in the Super Swellers Club? Thanks for reminding me @kmak81230. :oyvey:This is in no way suggesting that you are a Super Sweller, just that some of us are prone to such.
 
You are all wonderful. Thank you for your help!
I am trying to mimic your amazing attitudes.
Good news:
I did a revolution on the recumbant bike at physio class Tuesday (on my own after swearing at the physio - funny story!).
I went to the pool today to do my exercises - what a treat! It felt amazing.
My 4 week extension of my medical leave from work is all set.

Bad news:
I still can't sleep. I try to not let it get to me but I fear I may completely lose it. I get depressed and weepy and inpatient when I don't sleep. I try without the sleeping pill, for fear of physical and/or psychological addiction, but only managed 1 night of fitful sleep without one in the last week and a bit.
I am getting increasingly worried my focus and sleep will not come back. My brain and focus and quickness are the keys to our livelihood. It just seems like forever. I am craving brain stimulation but when I try to do anything that requires concentration, I get very frustrated.
Please tell me this gets better. I hate whining!
Thank you again.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
This too shall pass - but it is such a challenging phase of recovery.i started sleeping better and more regularly around the 8-10 week mark. I think the poor sleeping is one of the hardest challenges of this recovery - certainly one that I was not prepared for. Lack of sleep affects everything else negatively. Try to nap as you can and know that with each week you should start to see some improvement. My sleep patterns and brain function are much improved even if my ROM is not :flwrysmile:
 
@JDP boy can I identify with your issues. I am a week ahead of you in surgery, but right with you in symptoms- just did a total rotation on the bike. I didn't swear at the therapist, but I did throw my body against the handlebars in total exhaustion, and I hugged the bike as I left. I am taking ambien, which does help me get to sleep, but I don't want to become dependent. Even with the ambien, I am no getting enough sleep. Even tho I napped regularly while on oxy, I can't nap now. And the sleeplessness leads to anxiety, discouragement, and tearfulness. It is for me the worst part of this recovery. I feel I could handle everything else this knee throws at me if I could just sleep.
 
It will get better! It's a tough time for you. Consider the sleeping pill at least fairly regularly.

Getting some sleep would make everything a LOT better for you it seems. I wouldn't worry about addiction to it. The way I see it, if you go through a period where sleep doesn't come, taking something for it gets you rest and carries you until your body is ready and able to sleep again naturally which I think bodies are able to do!

It has happened for me here and there, and I would take some type of sleep med for a time, get rested and therefore more healthy, and then be able to get to sleep on my own when my body was ready, no addiction or dependence problems.

Sleep is a great healer. :sleep::sleep: I really hope you can get some!!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
@OJ2 Yes, it seems we are feeling the same. I will think positively for you.

This was my worst day yet. I feel the fit, active, fitness instructor, mother, happy, energetic, professional, positive person I was may never return and it scares me so much. I was taking 1/2 a sleeping pill - I took a whole one just now. I sure hope it helps me sleep and with my outlook!

Thank you BoneSmart. I am surrounded by friends but somehow feel alone in this journey so what a blessing to have you all out there.
 
@JDP Hi, welcome to Bonesmart and welcome to the recovery side of things. I hope your recovery goes smoothly.
 
This can be a hard period of recovery. It feels as if you've been doing this forever and just want your normal life back. But be patient, in another month chances are you'll feel even more like yourself with more energy too!
 
It has been a while since I have posted an update.
I decided not to return to the hospital based physio classes and I am going to my private physio. He is much more encouraging and I don't dread it.
I am still dealing with insomnia so taking a 1/2 pill almost every night and see my GP tomorrow about it.
My challenge is the fatique and secondary emotions still, but I am much better. There is no way I can do my job being like this so I am optimistic this insomnia will pass by the time I return at 12 weeks post-op.
How are you doing @OJ2?
I hope you are all doing well. Dawn
 
You will feel much different by the time you reach 12 weeks. Try to remember that both your knee and your body are still a work in progress. Where you are now is not where you will end up. You are still tired because most of your energy is still being directed towards healing your knee.
Better times are coming.
 
I went back to work at 12 weeks and was still feeling the energy drain or exhaustion. But working did help me to sleep because I was soooo tired! Trying to head back at 12 weeks is reasonable.
 
Yet another question for you all. Has anyone experienced calf / ankle swelling (not localized, or sore, but uniform and hard). I do believe I overdid it today! Thanks for your help. Bonesmart rocks!
 
I had quite a bit of ankle and calf swelling (this is something I experienced even before my surgery). When I went back to work, I found that it got worse. I fixed that problem by wearing knee high mild compression socks; they really helped to keep the swelling down.
 
hi @JDP ~ just reading about your ankle swelling. could be that you overdid it that day, but i'm wondering about what footwear you wear and is it supportive enough? i just had a similar ailment with my ankle being sore and wanting to give out on me (i know you said yours wasn't sore, so not the same) and realized that the rubber boots i was wearing for quite awhile walking around were not supportive enough.

Happy Thanksgiving and isn't this a beautiful day today after a gloomy start?
 
Happy Thanksgiving @liam2015. I am spending my quiet day (after eating much too much yesterday) trying to concentrate on being thankful instead of whining about wanting my past, drastically different life back teaching fitness, training, hiking, running to my son's hockey games, working, traveling, gardening, looking after my house, out with friends, etc..........seems like forever. Logically I know it will arrive one day. This forum and folks like you have helped to keep me sane. Thank you.
PS I have over 10 pairs of fitness shoes. I wear the ones that feel the best. I bought 3 pairs of other shoes (I am a shoe horse.) - for back to work and casual - that are supportive and comfy - all my budget can handle right now! Great advice.
 
Hi! I will just weigh in on a couple of things because I just recently caught up on your thread.
I am a non sleeping, non bendy swell stiff too! I was definitely not prepared for how long, how draining and how difficult this recovery would be. But I have a couple of suggestions
First - if you are worried about taking the sleeping pills too often or too long, try using Gravol, Melatonin or ZzzzQuil in between. I have found them all to help on those nights when sleep is hard to come by. Gravol is a muscle relaxant to stop nausea and heaving but I found it relaxed my muscles enough for sleep!
Second - sleep ( and that means naps) whenever you can. You are not likely to get straight nighttime sleep for a little while yet so get those hours needed in 1 or 2 hour increments. All sleep lets your body heal!
I am glad you decided to take a few more weeks off work. It will be better all around if you are feeling good about yourself and your recovery before you go back to helping others.
Lastly - let your son help you out. He is old enough to understand that you looked after him for 16 years and he can now help you out!
Good luck and know there will always be someone here to listen when you need to rant!
 
Thank you so much @Canada35 and happy belated thanksgiving. Such beautiful weather we are having. I see you are 5 months post-op. I hope you are sleeping by now?
I have tried them all. (Gravol actually gives me a paradoxical reaction and pumps me up.) I appreciate the suggestions!
I try to nap with no luck either but will sleep no matter where I am if it hits me. I used to sleep anywhere - even once in a dentist's chair! lol
My son is a great helper when he's not in school, at hockey, at music, etc. He did just get his G2 license which is a great help as my ankle gives out sometimes so not safe to drive yet. Sigh.
I hope you are finding relief as time goes on.
I hope to come out on the other end relatively unscathed. I certainly will not remember these months fondly. I was not in much pain before so would have waited a couple of years if I had have known about the insomnia, blues, and fatique.
Thanks again. Dawn
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom