TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

Happy Friday, @Slainte ! I'm working on cutting down my Percocet as well, but it sounds like you are a bit further a long... I will proceed cautiously.. :yes: Good luck on your expedition tomorrow! Will look forward to hearing how you do!! :)
 
well we certainly are in sync! remember I'm one day ahead 7/8, and finally wednesday was able to stop taking the coumadin. so smarty figures 'great, i can take advil!!' never giving any thought to the withdrawal symptoms the dilaudid would have. so after the nausea and chills, all seems ok. I'm taking 3 advil 4 times a day and it seems to be working just fine. we were supposed to go out tonight for a very casual dinner with friends, just to get out but had to cancel. i'll see if i make it through the night without any severe pain as this will be the first night trying to sleep without it. good luck tomorrow shopping!
 
@Slainte you sound great!!! I am starting part time from home beginning 8/3. 4 hours a day for 4 weeks. Are you driving?? Let's touch bases monday!!! Best of luck!!
 
I'm surprised you're going back to work while you're still taking your Percocet during the day. I would not have been able to function at my job or even stay awake and I also had a desk job when I retired after my 1st TKR. In fact there were some days I had to fight to stay awake without the assistance of narcotics :heehee:. Just be careful and don't let returning to work slow down your recovery.
 
@Gigi32 , staying awake is my biggest concern. I don't sleep worth a darn at night, and have been napping during the day. Am really going to try and force myself to stay up today. Then might sleep better tonight. Tomorrow, the same. Then by tomorrow night hope to get a decent night's sleep.

@janetg , nothing about this is fast, is it? I am going to halve my 1pm pill. And that is it for the next couple of days. Then a slow and steady stepdown. I haven't taken any other pain meds, but might try Tylenol.

@iivesfam5 , no I can't drive yet because am still taking percocet during the day. My son works with me, so I have a chauffeur. We will definitely compare notes Monday night!

My trip to Sam's was great. I have a business membership so was able to go early this morning before the doors opened to regular card members. I took it ridiculously easy, and my husband pushed a cart while I rode a motorized cart. My 22 year old daughter went with us instead of my son, and she was great. The only downside was that since we had two carts we bought twice as much! Back home now and thinking about a late breakfast. Then a ride on the CPM machine. This is the last couple of days I will have it, so must make the most of it.
 
i found Advil to work very well for inflammation and pain. coming off these drugs is another hurdle. you really feel terrible. but will be worth it!
 
@Slainte - you're going to need something to replace the Percocet during the day this early in your stage of recovery. I've been using the Tylenol/advil cocktail during the day with success. I take 2 Arthritis strength Tylenol when I wake up in the morning, then 4 hours later take 3-4 Ibuprofen, 4 hours later repeat the Tylenol and continue that rotation throughout the day until bedtime. Occasionally I'll forget one of the doses, but when I do that it seems to catch up to me at night. The Ibuprofen seems to have decreased the swelling and inflammation significantly and the Tylenol helps the pain. I take half a Percocet at bedtime and sometimes a Benadryl to help with sleep. You might want to try this for a couple of days to see if you can function on this during the day.
 
Thank you for spelling out the exact dose. That is the information I needed. Now to get to a drug store tomorrow and stock up.
 
I'm trying to get off the pain meds too. The PA at my surgeon's office prescribed Celebrex 200mg and Tylenol 375mg one pill each twice a day. My last pain med was Thursday and I'm trying to stay off them. The pain meds messed up my stomach so badly, I'd like to try and quit. Goods news is I've lost 12 lbs since surgery. And I'm also using MyFitnessPal to track my food intake. My appetite is way down...which is great. I'm extremely overweight and really need to be at a healthier weight.
 
I hear you! I don't have a problem with the pain meds, except I want to get my life back. Fitness Pal is great, isn't it? I will keep pain meds at night for now, but will transition over to OTC meds during the day, gradually. I have lost weight as well, and hope it is not just from my muscle atrophy. I do feel pretty good, though. I am so glad I have a new knee!
 
I just weighed today and now have lost 12 pounds myself.. SWEET!! Because of the meds, my appetite has been much less as well, so I'm trying to work with that and change some of my habits.. - but I love to cook and haven't been doing that either, so that makes a difference. Now that I'm reducing my meds though, I can tell I'm a little more hungry than I had been. Proceeding cautiously..

I had gotten a fitbit and was participating in a "Fitbit challenge" at work, to see who could rack up the most steps.. THAT is when my knees started really talking to me and I got to the point where I had to stop. Hopefully when my new knee gets lubed up enough, (and my other knee has settled down), I can get back to doing much more walking and better control weight that way as well.. :yes:
 
Wishing you good luck on your return to work tomorrow. I'm retired so I don't have to worry about going back to work. I worked in a very large building...just the thought of walking to the Ladies Room would be daunting.
 
Thank you. I am washing clothes for my husband and me for the week, and plan to lay my clothes out in my guest room so I can go there after my shower in the morning and get dressed and put makeup on. I am packing my breakfast and lunch tonight. I know I will not have time to eat before I have to leave at 7:20am. Then I have my post-op appointment with my OS at 8am. Hope he gives me a return to work slip!
I am also going to talk to him about knee number two, and frankly I have mixed feelings about what he might say. The idea of starting all over again with another knee replacement sounds crazy. I do hope to get permission to swim. The only thing that has kept me from cheating and getting in the pool is the fact that my pool light has become slightly dislodged and has a gap around the top of it. I really don't want to be electrocuted. So should be able to get someone out to fix it Tuesday. Cannot wait.
I feel like tomorrow is my first day of school. Just hope I can keep the swelling down at work.
 
@Slainte - I'm so impressed you are up for going back to work tomorrow! You are only 4 days ahead of me, and there is NO way I would say I'm close to ready.. Hat's off to you!! :wowspring:

Wishing you all the best on your first day back! Looking forward to hearing how it goes!!! :yay:
 
It's really early to be going back to work. Do make sure that you do nothing else at all on work days.
 
Back
Top Bottom