TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

I think it's great your recovery has been so smooth so far. Keep up whatever you're doing. It's obviously working.
 
:cool:
So the bottom line is I feel a little bit guilty that I am having such an easy time of it. And very lucky. Of course it is very early days yet, and I know there may be some of that roller coaster ride ahead. But I am so thankful to be doing well.
I feel exactly the same. Came into this expecting the worst, and so far haven't come close to experiencing anything like some of our colleagues have posted. Every morning I thank my surgeon for his skill and my parents for the great quad genes they gave me. Once this bandage comes off this afternoon, I can concentrate on the ROM problem, and solve it as my knee allows. Here's looking at you, kid. :cool:
 
Nurse came today and removed my 22 staples. For the most part I didn't feel a thing, but a couple of them pinched just a bit. My OS requires steri strips to be applied after staple removal, so I have neat little railroad track of 11 strips. She said they will fall off in a week to 10 days, and that I can shower without regard to them. I feel like I should wait at least a couple of days, as there has to be some little holes where those staples were, and I want no risk of infection.

Now my question. When can I swim in my swimming pool? My pool is not screened, so I get my share of leaves and debris. We keep it chlorinated and filtered, but it is far from a sterile environment. I usually swim every day, and have kept my ROM good before surgery by running in place in the deep end, or by doing dog squats. Dog squats consist of doing gentle squats in about 4 feet of water while holding a 100 pound Golden Retriever who considers you his island. So tell me, when can I get back in the pool?
 
Usually when the incision is fully closed and all the scabs have fallen off for getting in the pool. You can shower right away, because you're not immersing your knee in the water -- it runs off.

The dog squats sound like fun, and you'll enjoy doing them when you can get back in the pool.
 
I would ask your OS when you can go in a pool. I love being in the water, so I'd be itching to go in, too.
 
Do less to get further, I like it. I had times during the first week feeling so well I was vacuuming, watering the window boxes, went to a cookout this past saturday. But Dear God am i paying for it now. The phys therapist said i didn't do any damage but you only have one chance to heal. Also you are so right about the meds!
 
Two weeks post-op today. I went out of the house for only the second time today, and even rode in a car! I had made an appointment with my hairdresser several weeks ago, and was not really sure how I would feel when the day came. Was lovely to put makeup on and get out in the world. I rode sideways in the backseat of my little Toyota, with a pillow behind my back to rest up against the door, and my leg propped up on the seat. I was a little nervous about the two steps up to my hairdresser's station, but they were no problem at all. I was also concerned about having my leg down for the length of time it took to get a shampoo and a haircut. Back home now, with leg elevated and iced. I don't think I had any negative effects at all! I imagine it's because of the four or five pieces of chocolate I ate in the salon. They are magic medicine.

I am using a cane only now. I have worked 3 days at home, helping my boss get some payroll and billing done. I have no pain, except for first thing in the morning when I forget that I had the surgery and I start to stretch then, ow, ow, ow! I stop stretching immediately and rub my thigh. I get such a burning in my thigh when I first wake up. But only lasts a few seconds. That is the only time I hurt.

My PT came yesterday when my boss and I were working. She fussed at me for not getting up more often and instructed my boss in all my exercises, and told her to make sure I get up and walk every hour. I am glad she did. It is so easy to get engrossed in work and forget the knee.

So nothing much new. I am feeling so good that I am considering having the other knee done shortly. I have not mentioned this yet to my husband, because I don't think he will love the idea. But, having met our deductible, it will be free. And it makes sense to do the recovery for both at the same time. We will see what my OS says when I see him in a week and a half.

Hope my fellow July Sparklers are having as easy a time of it as I am. Love my new knee!
 
Great report! I had mine done six weeks apart...and yes, the second knee was free! Hope it works out for you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
This is a fabulous report. So glad to hear you're doing well. A trip to the hairdresser's is always uplifting and never discount the power of chocolate!
 
Great to hear reports like yours. A friend did both her knees in the same year for the same reason. I'm loath to get the other knee done just because of the infection issue.
 
A week ago I felt a real sense of accomplishment if I managed to fix my own breakfast. Would be drenched in sweat after that feat. My stamina has grown, and today I emptied and loaded the dishwasher, washed the pots and pans, and cooked dinner! I did it in 10 minute increments over the course of a couple of hours, and I was drenched with sweat again, but so proud! I also actually wanted to do some heel slides - that felt good, and did a few stretches here and there. I am trying to build my endurance up without joining the ODIC. So far, so good!
 
I believe the key was doing those tasks over the course of a few hours. Good to hear you're feeling that sense of accomplishment AND trying to stay away from the ODIC!
 
Ok, I am not a complainer, but is there anything I can do to stop the thigh burning when I first wake up? I usually sleep two four-hour stretches at night, waking aound 3am or 4am and waiting until pain med due to take it and then back to sleep. I know it is being motionless for such a long time that causes it, but man, it is like a sheet of burning just beneath my skin from a line up the top of my thigh down to a line running the outside of my thigh. The minute I feel it I start to tense, which of course really sets it off. Once I calm down, roll over, and swing my leg up and over on a body pillow, I'm good. Anybody else had this? Just wonder if massage or something might help alleviate it. Thanks.
 
This might be the IT-band which bothers some folks. I thinks @Josephine has posted some stretches for it. It's not a problem for me.
 
And oddly enough, hanging the leg over the body pillow and letting it hang off the side of the bed for a few minutes is exactly what my PT prescribed for that problem. So you're halfway there.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Thank you so much for the link, @Josephine ! That is exactly it. I will try the stretches and the massage. Nice to be able to really understand the beast. And thank you for taking the time to help me. You must be a very busy lady.

Yes, @PolarBear60 , pretty lucky to have stumbled on one of the stretches that will help!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom