TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

@PolarBear60 the kitchen sink exercise I was talking about was washing my hair! :heehee: And yes, @tigz my sister helped me with the sprayer when she saw what a mess I was making. That felt good, and I only got the floor a little wet. I was able to sponge off and dress myself. And then I crawled back into bed because I was DONE. Can't remember being so tired. Had a visit from a nurse, my CPM machine was delivered, and had my first PT session. That was informative. She showed me some exercises to do - just gentle stretches, and showed me how to use my dog leash with the loop around my foot as a leg lifter. She also had me hold my dog leash leg lifter in one hand and use my cane as a leg lifter and the other hand and gently pull my foot closer to my body on slippery plastic sheets in the bed. She told me to pull it so hard that it felt like the staples were coming out, and then to take a deep breath and pull it a little harder. I told her I was not going to let her hurt me, and she laughed and said she was not going to hurt me - I was going to hurt me myself. I did try hard, but I stopped when it started being uncomfortable. She measured my extension at 7 and my flex at 87. So I lost some ground. The back of my knee hurt this afternoon, and I felt pretty sorry for myself. But I took my percocets, settled in the CPM machine with my cryo cuff , and had a solid hour and a half nap. Still feels tight, but I am continuing to ice and elevate. Rest helps so much. Thanks for the encouragement, @KarriB and @CATSMUM. Now to make it through another night.
 
So ice helps your back pain, @Lacy21? I bought an extra ice therapy machine because I didn't know the hospital would give me one. Might get someone to help me with getting it set up for my back, or I may wait until I can do it myself. Don't want to put any more of a burden on my family than I already am!:blush:
 
Might get someone to help me with getting it set up for my back, or I may wait until I can do it myself. Don't want to put any more of a burden on my family than I already am!:blush:
Please don't feel guilty about asking for help. This is your time. I'm sure you've given plenty of help to your family members over the years. Do give them the chance to return that help.
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
Oh, @Celle , reading that Nurturing Mother link brought a tear. I am a mother of four. All children grown now. Two still live at home, and they have seemed happy to do anything I've needed the last couple of days. My eldest daughter is flying home for a long weekend next week to "have a look at me". Thank you for reminding me that I need to accept the help I need graciously. Life is good today.
 
So I am one week out today. My boss came to my house on Tuesday and we worked on billing for three hours. We are such opposites - she is very peppy and I am fairly reserved. This difference was magnified by my pain meds. I sat in a recliner with my leg properly propped, and kept my head resting on the headrest, while I checked her process and recommended a change or two. It was not as tiring as I was afraid it would be. She and her husband own the company, and he called yesterday to let me know that he was going to pay for a virtual private network for me so I can work from home. That is great!

The anesthesiologist called yesterday and told me I had to pull out the tube for the saphenous nerve block by 4pm yesterday. I was so afraid that my pain levels were going to go up, but to my surprise there was no difference other than a lessening of the numbness of my thigh and knee and the fact that I can feel little sensations that almost feel electrical in nature. I think going home with the nerve block really helped.

I have not been doing my PT like I should. My regular PT lady came for the first time yesterday, and I made her write everything down. I am doing better today, and got on the CPM machine for a couple of hours, and did some gentle stretches. My sister has been here this week and she cleaned my whole house. She left this morning, and today seems like the first day I have had any time to myself. I am making a schedule for exercise.

So all is well. OS prescribed 2 percocet every 6 hours and 1 Robaxin every 8 hours, both as needed. I have kept a careful record of the drugs I am taking. I have to look every time to make sure that I remember correctly. I have taken the dose down a bit, as being in a brain fog really gets old, and now I take 1 percocet every 4 hours and 1 Robaxin every 12 hours or so. The nurse took the aquacell bandage off my knee today. That was a cool bandage - totally waterproof, so I could have taken a shower, but for the nerve block. I am happy with my line of shiny staples. Looked clean and dry, and a lot more healed than I expected in just a week. I am to change the dressing every day by wiping it with Betadine, covering it with gauze pads, and pulling a stockinette dressing over it. The stockinette thing is neat. You can buy them in sizes from "for your finger" to "for your torso". It looks like a soft stretchy fishnet stocking when you pull it over the gauze pads, and it holds them in place so that you don't need tape! I bought a few yards, and it was only $3 or so a yard. So found something new.

The staples come out next Tuesday. Now I need to work on my flexion so my PT tomorrow afternoon won't give me that look.
 
Wonderful report!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Such a wonderful recovery so far. Wow as far as pulling something out my self. Ugh no way lol.

She give you the look. But this is your recovery. You must do as you can. Don't let her hurt you...

Ouch staples lol. I could not handle it. I would be so scared.

So glad ya have family member to help you:::: May the good luck continue in recovery.

Xxxx AnGeL


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
@Angel1978 , my PT was actually pleased with my progress. I need to work more consistently, but so far maybe I haven't short-changed myself.

Tonight I am going to sleep in my own bed for the first time since my surgery. I have been camping out in my eldest daughter's old room so as not to disturb my husband's sleep. Can't wait. My bed is much bigger and comfier, although I will miss the Star Wars and Aime posters surrounding me. :umm:
 
Now I need to work on my flexion so my PT tomorrow afternoon won't give me that look.
You really don't have to work hard at those exercises. You only need to do very little exercising in these early days.
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”

It's early days yet and your knee won't bend properly because it is swollen. Too bad for your PT if you don't meet her expectations - it's your knee and it knows what it is doing. The PT works for you and you don't have to struggle to please her.
 
@Sliante

Great but just remember early days. Flex will come and bend will come. I'm 4 months don't have good bend nor flex. So just take it easy. She may be pleased. But them looks mean I know you can do more.

Glad u have bed sleep on. Posters haha I remember. My Kids have all sorts junk on walls. Me on other hand na. Just Jesus pic. But I can see all my angels from room have over 1000 or so. Should b pic in thread.

The knees won't let you bend or flex till they ready. I gave up when I figured it was cause agervating pain. But flex will come to.

I do wish you the best. Just remember early days. Easy!!!!


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Thanks, @Celle and @Angel1978 . The only thing I feel worried about is the heel slides. I need to do a few of them a few times a day. But one thing really struck me in the link you sent me about working smarter not harder, and that was the reminder that my knee did not deteriorate in a couple of months - it took years. So why should I expect an instant fix? Thanks.
 
I kept a little notebook and wrote down every time I took a medication.
 
I am doing that as well, @kneeper , and although I try to take my percocet every four hours, I see that it naturally gets a little longer when I forget. Will probably "officially" make it every 5 hours in a day or two, and see how that feels.
 
Just getting caught up on your recovery thread....Bravo! Well done so far! It sounds like you are being very smart with your recovery and not pushing too hard. Glad your pain is controlled and that you'll be sleeping in your own bed. What a difference that will make! Although I didn't spend the night in the hospital, I knew getting home to my own bed would be just the ticket! Keep up the good work!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Eleven days post surgery. I am still being a total slacker about PT, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Before my PT lady came today I had a quick look at the exercises I am supposed to be doing so I would appear to be at least vaguely familiar with them. She asked me to do them, and I did. In fact, suddenly I can do straight leg lifts. My quads woke up! Also I went outside today for the first time since I got home. My PT and I walked about 75 feet down the sidewalk and back. She says her goal is to get me off the walker and using a cane only by next Monday. Sounds good to me. She hasn't measured my ROM, which is fine by me. She said I was making great progress. And I am, but not by doing 3 sets of 15 reps. But by being a bonesmartie! Resting. Elevating. Icing. Oh, and eating properly. I weighed today, and have lost ten pounds since the morning of my surgery. Being overweight is one thing that can shorten an implant's lifetime (as well as my own) and I am determined that a year from now I will be at my goal weight with a fantastic new knee. I am even considering getting my other knee done before the year's end.

I have solved my sleep problems for the moment by staying up pretty late - midnight or so - then I take Robaxin (a muscle relaxer that got rid of spasms I had in the night) and a percocet. I fall asleep pretty quickly, and then wake up about 3:30am. I am still spacing my percocets to every four hours, so I grab my smartphone and check out bonesmart and facebook until 4am, then take my percocet and sleep like a baby until 8am or so. I can definitely live with that. And although I rest during the day, I don't seem to actually nap anymore.

Tomorrow I get my staples out. A small milestone.

So the bottom line is I feel a little bit guilty that I am having such an easy time of it. And very lucky. Of course it is very early days yet, and I know there may be some of that roller coaster ride ahead. But I am so thankful to be doing well.
 
Glad to hear you're feeling good and taking it easy!


RTKA 8 June 2015
LTKA 14 Sept 2015 (sched)
 
I understand the guilt for the relative easy time of it. Whatever you are doing (or not doing, as may be the case), you seem to be doing the right amount of it.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom