TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

  1. Welcome to the other side. You're right about meds, take them even if you haven't got a lot of pain. Never refuse stool softeners, you'll need them, lol.
 
Wow @Slainte I'm glad I didn't hear anything going on in the OR, I think I would have freaked. Sounds like things are going really well for you. I'm at 2 1/2 weeks out and feeling great. I have tight hamstrings causing some spasms but hopefully with the help of the Valium I got yesterday and the stretches it will go away soon. I agree with everyone, take those meds around the clock. I'm still doing that. It makes all the difference to stay ahead of the pain. It allows you to progress and move forward. Stool softeners are a godsend. I followed it up with Benefiber once I got home and didn't have a problem. Good luck. Looking forward to following your progress!
 
@KarriB , surprised me too, but I was glad. I am one of those who watches all the videos of knee replacement. Bloodthirsty!

Thanks for the suggestion about icing the back of the knee, @Gigi32 . That is a great idea!
Welcome to the OSC, AKA Other Side Club. They knocked me out for the actual surgery, but remember asking for the videotape afterward. Assume they didn't film it, since I didn't get my copy. They didn't give me any of the premium pain stuff, either, but it was in the takehome package. Hope your recovery remains on an even keel. We are practically on the same page. Let's get it done.
 
Today is going better than I expected. Have gotten rid of the O2 cannula up my nose. IV will stay in hand, but IV pole went bye bye. Having a renal ultrasound later today to double-check on the cause of the UTI. PT got me up and I used the bedside commode and walked down the hall about 50 feet. I was so dreading the pain of standing up, but no big deal! It was about the same level as the arthritis pain before. I found out that the type of nerve block I have is a saphenous nerve block, not a femoral one. The saphenous nerve is a purely sensory nerve so gets rid of the pain, but I can still walk. Almost time to call for my next pain med, so over and out
 
Oh boy I hope so!!! I will have a private room - where I am going - the whole floor is private - I am such a light sleeper I would be in big trouble having someone there. Except my snoring husband who I am darn sure won't leave my side the first night. I am going to tell him to head home the next night though because I need him to get lots of rest so he can take good care of me the first week I am home!! The hibiclens - I was told neck down..... Well I hope you are still doing good!!! I am finishing up my work - Quarter end almost complete..... 5 more days after today for my new knees!!
 
I used the hibiclense the 2 days before and the morning of the surgery concentrating on the knee. Directions also said stay away from the face. I guess there's a cumulating effect to the antibiotic properties. I used my regular shampoo. It was hard heading out to surgery without makeup, etc., but it was worth it in the end. Now, that I'm almost 3 weeks out, I can't tell you the difference 3 weeks make. @Slainte you sound like me in your recovery. I was almost pain free at the hospital as well. It wasn't until about 1 1/2 weeks later that I had the hamstring issue. Today with the Valium and stretches, it is beginning to feel better. Hope you get home without incident. @iivesfam5 your 2 new babies will have the best of care and lots of people pulling for them.:curtsey:
 
Well, I noticed that other folks sometimes kind of disappear after the first day or so, and now I know why. Between getting very little sleep night before last due to an uncomfortable roommate and having another PT session, I was tired and frayed to the point of tears. But I got my own room late this afternoon, had a comforting visit from my husband, got solid 3 hours of sleep, and I feel human again. I have a bedside commode that gets easier and easier to use, although there is always someone right by me in case I need help. Tonight I was able to use my good ankle looped under my kneedy ankle to get in bed alone. Of course, once I got there I needed help pulling the good ankle out from under! But I can imagine managing alone, although I am not there yet. And so ends day two. I think they are going to keep me another night after this one, and send me home on Sunday. God bless the nurses and therapists who work the ortho floor. So patient and strong. I am learning how to be both of those things from them.
 
Well, I noticed that other folks sometimes kind of disappear after the first day or so, and now I know why. Between getting very little sleep night before last due to an uncomfortable roommate and having another PT session, I was tired and frayed to the point of tears. But I got my own room late this afternoon, had a comforting visit from my husband, got solid 3 hours of sleep, and I feel human again. I have a bedside commode that gets easier and easier to use, although there is always someone right by me in case I need help. Tonight I was able to use my good ankle looped under my kneedy ankle to get in bed alone. Of course, once I got there I needed help pulling the good ankle out from under! But I can imagine managing alone, although I am not there yet. And so ends day two. I think they are going to keep me another night after this one, and send me home on Sunday. God bless the nurses and therapists who work the ortho floor. So patient and strong. I am learning how to be both of those things from them.
Couldn't have made it without my wife; she is definitely my heroine through all this. For some reason, sleep hasn't been a problem for me, except for waking up to take middle of the nights meds. The clock is right in my left ear, but my wife has to shout at me several times before I hear it. Go figure.
Hope you get home soon; familiar surroundings really make a big difference.
 
Just wanted to post a quick update. I mostly keep the cryo cuff on and the CPM running. I am up to 90 degrees on the CPM. PT this morning consisted of walking 228 feet and then gentle stretches. I am at 0 and 94. I can not quite get out of bed by myself but I can get back in. I am sticking religiously to taking the pain meds by the clock. Should be going home tomorrow.
 
Just wanted to post a quick update. I mostly keep the cryo cuff on and the CPM running. I am up to 90 degrees on the CPM. PT this morning consisted of walking 228 feet and then gentle stretches. I am at 0 and 94. I can not quite get out of bed by myself but I can get back in. I am sticking religiously to taking the pain meds by the clock. Should be going home tomorrow.
Looking good. Wish they had left me on the CPM longer, but they didn't. C'est la vie. Did get over the constipation, uh, obstacle today, and getting around the house fairly well. You will enjoy home; everything is much better there, at least for me. Nice work.
 
Made it home. Man, I miss that hospital bed with the automatic upping and downing, and with that grab bar suspended from the crossbar. But I can get in and out of bed by myself, and can go to the bathroom by myself. I am icing a lot, and will have a look at the library here to find a proper way of elevating my knee tonight. Tomorrow will bring a CPM machine that I can use for 14 days. Also a PT will be here at 10am. Somehow I have got to find a way to wash my hair before then. It is not fluffy and beautiful. Glad we are home, @Rob 68 !
 
Washed my hair at home and rehab by just sticking my head under the spigot in the bathroom sink for about a month. Where there's a will there's a way!
 
Kitchen sink would be my choice for non-shower hair washing -- easier to get my head under it.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Well, I made it through my first night at home in my daughter's tall twin bed. My son helped me set up the pillows for the elevation to match the picture in the library, pulled one of my frozen water bottles out of the freezer and plopped it into the cryo cuff. Had taken percoset at 4pm, so snoozed and visited with my sister during her frequent checks on me until 10pm. In the hospital I took 2 percoset every 4 hours for pain, and could have Robaxin every 6 hours, I think. The schedule they sent me home with is 2 percoset every 6 hours and one Robaxin every 8 hours. So I took my percoset at 10 pm, had some soup, and stretched out. Woke up around 1am and snuck out to the bathroom against my sister's orders (she wants to watch me - such a voyeur). Had to quietly fight my way past a couple of happy dogs. The clanking of the walker freaked them out enough to keep them at bay. The back of my knee really hurt, as though my elevating pillows had encouraged my zero extension to regress. When I got back to bed, I dismantled the pillow propper, and iced my knee as I stretched out and painfully regained my extension. This took a couple of hours, as I switched back and forth icing the front and back of the knee. After that, my lower back hurt more than anything. So I stuffed a bunch of pillows behind me and got into a semi-sitting position. I considered taking some percoset at 3am, but settled for a dose of Robaxin. At 4am, my sister got me a frozen water bottle for the cryo cuff and I took 2 percoset. Now, at 6am, I feel ok. I will have to read about back pain. I know some folks said heat helped them. The kitchen sink sounds like a plan, @PolarBear60. Cannot wait to sponge down, get hair washed, and get some clean clothes on.

I am keeping tabs on my fellow July sparklers. So glad to have this site for advice and encouragement.
 
Sounds like you have everything under control. Keep on taking your meds and icing. Rest as much as you can, heat helped me and was very comforting when my knee/leg ached.
 
I found ice helped my back pain, but it probably depends. Use what works for you.

It may be too early for the kitchen sink exercise. I was at around nine weeks out when I got that one from my therapist (if I recall correctly).
 
Your right to keep up with the meds, icing and rest, rest, rest!
 
I used the sprayer in the kitchen sink my second day home with hubby's help. It was exhausting. The next day I used the Tegaderm dressing the hospital sent home with me...and still saran wrapped my knee area for a shower. I figured I couldn't be to careful! It was blissful!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I have horrible back pain and ice works for me. Sounds like you're doing great for your first day home.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom