Guest viewing is limited

TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

I would love to drive too! I feel guilty dragging my husband to all my pt and errands when he is so far behind on his consulting projects. And the independence would be great.

Yesterday was 6 weeks for my bilateral but I'm still on prescription pain meds, and when I practice moving my right leg as though I'm hitting the brakes, it would take me too long to react and respond. For the safety of others I think I'm going to be on the sidelines for a few more weeks. I do have to get ready to drive to Florida the day after Christmas.
 
You're wise to put off driving for a while longer. I'm sure your husband would rather drive you than have you drive and meet with an accident.

About that drive to Florida: It's a long way. Make sure that you break up the journey, so that you stop frequently , to walk and stretch a bit. Plan for the trip to take longer than usual. For me, a journey that usually takes us four hours took six.

If you're going to take a turn at driving, don't do it for long periods. As a passenger, make some provision for elevating your leg. A couple of ice packs in a chiller bin could help, too.
 
Yep, I would not be driving yet but for the fact that my left knee is the more recent replacement. My right knee is ace! Today I went on Amazon while looking for the Black Friday deals and ordered an ankle brace. I figured it'd be worth a try. I walked around the grocery store awhile today, and my ankle hurt way worse than my knee! I think that is progress?

Almost Friday... can't wait for the weekend!!!
 
@Slainte Have you tried new shoes? I just wore some new sneakers I got from the running store to work today and it was much better!!
 
I got new shoes. My ankle is just having a tough time adjusting to my new knee. It was fused almost 25 years ago and it is very set in its ways.:heehee:
 
Went to PT this morning and I was able to do a full rotation on the recumbent bike! I had the seat waaay back, barely could touch the pedals with my tippy toes, and there was a lot of hip action, but I did it! ROM measured at 108 today. Getting there! 7 weeks out yesterday.
 
Slainte: omg! Me too! At pt they say you need 115 to do the recumbent bike, and I had just measured 116 on the right knee, so I tried it with the right knee and did it. The problem is my left knee is only 104 and really hurts when I get close to going over. Anyone know any bilaterals whose knees were so far apart? How did they handle the recumbent? Just use it to stretch the knee that's not ready and keep doing their bending exercises? I really can't do too much on the bike with the right knee other than stretching until the left one is ready.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good for you. Just today I took out my TKR journal in which I recorded all of those types of firsts. It brought back lots of memories and it was fun to see how far I really have progressed. Seems like just yesterday you were headed in to do knee number two. Hope PT can figure out something for your ankle. BRW, I am typing this message with a wrist brace on. Carpal tunnel. I make a living with my hands. Just cannot do that surgery right now. :bawl:
 
@BusterBeans , I know how you feel. My right knee made it to 130 by about 6 weeks. My left knee is 7 weeks out and I made it to 108 by the hardest. On the recumbent bike I had been just doing partial rotations. First I would go one way, just to a gentle stretch, and repeatedly extend the pedal back out for a couple of seconds then bring the knee back up for another stretch. Every couple of minutes I would switch to going the other way. Did it for a total of 10 minutes. Was so happy when I could finally go all the way around.
 
Thanks for your advice, Slainte. That's what I'll try tomorrow. Sorry if I hijacked your topic, but of everyone I know, you were the one I thought would be able to answer my question or introduce me to someone who could.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Nice job. I have not been on the bike yet but I think my pt will put me on it at my next visit. She said I needed to be at 110 and by the end of the visit i was at 112. So we are only 4 degrees apart and 1 day surgically
 
Happy Thanksgiving! I have so much to be thankful about this year. My second knee was 8 weeks old yesterday, and my first knee was 20 weeks old. I went to physical therapy yesterday, and made it to 114 degrees! I got the ankle brace and started using it Tuesday. I wish I had thought to try it sooner. It is a miracle cure! My ankle does not hurt at all. And consequently, I am able to do much more to get my knee back in service. I really feel like I've turned the corner this week. Am off all meds. Am able to sleep without Tylenol PM. Am able to do a lot more before I run out of steam. And other than just a little hitch in my get along - a slight limp - I am walking pretty well, without a cane. I still take it very easy, and rest a lot. But it looks like its going to be a very Happy New Year. I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
 
I'm so very happy for you!! You're really doing great!! You truly are having a great Happy Thanksgiving!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom