Guest viewing is limited

TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

I think you need to buy a couple of new kayaks before you make any decisions. Just paddle out to sea with your husband for a short reprieve after all you have been through.
 
Take the weekend off to relax . Glad you got your new chair. Before you know it it will be healing and you will be wandering like your old self. You are so brave to go back to work so soon. As my mom would say "Keep Smiling" :SUNsmile:
 
I sat out on my front porch last night to hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters. I was very comfortable. Sat in a chair with a pillow behind my back. My legs rested on another chair in front of me, also with a pillow. My legs were pretty straight. I was there about three hours, got up at least three times. Enjoyed myself tremendously and felt fine when I went in for the night. But oh, during the night boy did my knee ache! So miserable and did not get to sleep until after 2:30 am, even with liberal applications of pain meds. I guess I was stretching my extension all that time unawares. I know no harm was done and perhaps I will even be helped by this, but very grateful for the extra hour of sleep ( daylight savings time ended this morning in my part of the world) and no work to go to today.
 
@Slainte, sorry to hear you have had so many arthritic problems and your double knees weren't the end all. You're right about looking at the future and the sacrifices we'll all have to make to keep our new knees healthy for 20+ years. So many things we said we couldn't wait till we got our knees replaced so we could do them again. But now ask ourselves if that wear and tear would really be worth it.

My surgeon visited me one evening in the hospital to tell me he was pretty sure I have osteoporosis now so that will be something new for me to start researching.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans , I already know it was worth it to me. It may not last forever, but with care I am pretty sure I have bought myself 20 or more years of a fairly active life. It may require a few more tweaks, and will most certainly be helped by close attention to my overall fitness. If I had not done this, I would have been sitting for the rest of my life.

Hope you can combat the osteoporosis. As we age, it is always going to be something. We will educate ourselves and do the best we can with the hand we are dealt. Happy November!!
 
Went to see my GP today for a follow up on the kidney stone they found while I was in the hospital. Either it's gone or it's not, but he said not to worry about it. Between working to get my weight down before my surgery and the lack of appetite the painkillers have wrought I have lost over 40 pounds this year. That made him happy. Me too! After a rough night Friday I have slept great the last two nights and I feel like I am really improving. Still using a cane and walking slooowly, but I am feeling so much better!
 
Wow 40 lbs @Slainte! That is excellent. Surely the weight loss and hard work are helping to make your recovery a success. I was looking forward to losing a lot of weight but that will have to wait until I am up and active. I was able to eat a huge dinner right after surgery and the pain meds have not affected my appetite in the least...oh well.
So happy to hear that things are going well :thumb:
 
Wow! So much has happened to you since I last read your thread! Sorry to hear about the ankle/foot problems. As others have said, not what you wanted to hear but you can take some time to think about what to do. Good to hear that generally the newer knee is behaving fairly well. And fantastic re the weight loss! Will make a huge difference to your joints - real and artificial!
 
I lost 25 during first recovery, and now another 20 with revision. Less weight means less stress on our remaining knee right.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Did I read somewhere (probably in your thread) that you were a 7th generation Floridian? I have been asking my friends down here what generation they are and the answers have surprised me, like first or second generation, when I expected them to say at least fourth. Your family must have been very early settlers. Hope knee 2 is doing well and you are being very good to that knee.
 
Yep - 1823 we came to Florida. I am being perhaps a little too good to my knee. The second one was 5 weeks old on Thursday, and have finally scheduled outpatient PT eval for next Tuesday. I need some help walking correctly. Am going to take my new knee swimming tomorrow for the first time. Plan to do some easy movements. It is feeling better, but my flexion is lousy. I hope I will be able to walk without looking like a gimp by Christmas.
 
LOL, I feel your pain, mine sometimes feels like I am walking on a stilt.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Swimming? Lucky you. Is the incision healed enough to go in a pool? My OS kept me out of the area for a while cant remember how long. Due to possible infection
I too am worried about my gait. I have been limping for about a year and shall and it may be a hard habit to break
 
If you're worried about your gait, try to do it like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Slainte's Big Adventure

Lengthening your stride will help, too.
 
Celle. I try, but the new knee has a fused ankle at the bottom of its leg and it is hard to roll. I can, though. Just really got to concentrate on stretching everything out. Hope the PT might be able to help me work around it.

I feel great today, and did small things - laundry, cooked dinner (even baked a cake) small bits of tidying. Spread it into small chunks of time with lots of rest in between. Almost feel like myself again. Oh, and I started looking at videos of kayaking - getting into one after capsizing, mainly. Watching people's knees and seeing how much they had to bend. That is my goal. Kayaking next summer.
 
@My knee Charlie , yep my incision is totally healed. My pool is black, which was kind of a weird decision I made a few years ago. I think the next time I will do it in grey. But I will say that the black bottom absorbs a lot of heat and it stays nice and warm late into the year. Maybe for another month. My husband is a polar bear and swims year round.

I know about the limping. We can do this. We will break that habit!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom