Guest viewing is limited

TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

Wow! Glad the ankle brace is helping. That ankle was probably doing more work than usual with your knee out of commission.
 
How wonderful!!! Reading such positive outcomes really encourage me when I am still struggling. Thank you for sharing! New Years is a GREAT time to celebrate! My birthday! hahahaha!
 
@Slainte so nice to read your upbeat post!
Congrats, so happy for you. Such a long process that the phrase "turning a corner" is huge.
Lots to be thankful for.
 
I want to share something that worked for me. A couple of weeks ago I was discouraged about how much discoloration my totally healed incision still had around it. I had zero bruising with my first knee and I really was sad that knee number 2 looked so bad at 6 weeks. Somewhere here I read about Arnica Gel, so I bought some. I was not impressed when I rubbed it on my knee that night. Odorless, colorless, disappeared into my skin like nothing. But I had paid my $8 or so, and was determined to get my money's worth. Applied it morning and night, and it actually worked! I could tell the difference about three days out, and after a week my knee looked great!
 
Jo, I will have to try that! The Xarelto has left my leg in horrible condition. Did it take away the tenderness?
 
It did help it feel better. I was such a skeptic, but it is worth a try. Just make sure your incision is all the way healed first.
 
Yesterday knee number one was 22 weeks old, knee number two was 10 weeks old. Went to physical therapy today and my flexion is up to 119. This is a slow process! I do feel pretty good, though. And meeting a friend for dinner tonight. Living my life. I still have some stiffness when I first get up, but very little pain. I'm getting there. Hope everyone else is doing well.
 
Sounds like you are doing really well. It's nice to get out to do something normal like going to dinner.
 
I want to share something that worked for me. A couple of weeks ago I was discouraged about how much discoloration my totally healed incision still had around it. I had zero bruising with my first knee and I really was sad that knee number 2 looked so bad at 6 weeks. Somewhere here I read about Arnica Gel, so I bought some. I was not impressed when I rubbed it on my knee that night. Odorless, colorless, disappeared into my skin like nothing. But I had paid my $8 or so, and was determined to get my money's worth. Applied it morning and night, and it actually worked! I could tell the difference about three days out, and after a week my knee looked great!
Glad to hear both your knees are doing so well. Funny that my knee is stiffer at night than in the morning; a good night's sleep seems to limber it up somewhat.

So this Arnica Gel takes away the visible evidence of bruising? If so, I'll have to give it a try. I still have marks in a couple of spots around my knee. No pain or discomfort, just not visibly appealing. I'm so vain, you know. :cool:
 
What a year this has been. Today my RTKR is 25 weeks old and my LTKR is 13 weeks old. I started back at the gym last week, going three times a week. I am taking baby steps, doing something like 3 sets of 4 reps at the lightest weight possible. Even that leaves me a little bit sore. I ride the recumbent bike for about three minutes, and walk on the treadmill at a slothful 1.4 mph for five minutes. And that is it. I feel good when I walk out, and I know I will be able to do more as time goes by. I don't use a cane anymore. I did balk at a down escalator last week. I just did not trust my knee to step down on that moving stair. Some policemen were nearby and looked at me in question as I stepped back. I explained that I had knee surgery and was afraid I would fall. They pointed out a nearby elevator and I was so grateful to use it.

I can walk without a limp. The clicking sound is gone. I am pretty stiff if I sit too long, and I go up and down stairs like a two-year old. My right knee is completely pain free. My left knee twinges a bit getting in and out of cars, as it still needs to gain a little more flexion. It doesn't hurt to walk, and I sleep through the night.

All in all, I am improving. I finally really believe that one day in the not too distant future, I will forget about my knees. Happy New Year everyone!
 
Hi Jo,
Glad to hear you're doing so well. I'm following your lead and taking it very slowly with my workouts. I'm going to start back at the gym on Saturday, and just reacquaint myself with the equipment, and am taking my husband along for support.

How's work going? Are your knees behaving during the day?

Happy New Year!!!
 
Good for you, @Slainte. Sounds like 2016 will be a great year for many of us. You are a hero to all of us. Hope all Bonesmart residents have a wondeerful and happyy 2016.
 
Slainte, glad to hear you're doing so well. I'm also sticking with riding recumbent bike (afraid I might fall off real one) and using tread mill. Will see what my trainer recommends for the rest of me. Best of luck in 2016.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Jo, sounds like you're giving the new knee all the time it needs. Of course you know the knee is the boss! Happy New Year!
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom