Guest viewing is limited

TKR Slainte's Big Adventure

I know you will be kayaking next summer. I think my PT program of stretching my quads, hamstrings, IT band, and calves has been invaluable. I do more stretches than strengthening exercizes now. Good luck. Another thing to add to the schedule.
 
Went to my initial outpatient PT eval today for my 5 1/2 week old knee. Second knee is not the miracle recoverer my first knee was. But it is doing just fine. Flexion measured at 90, extension at 0. He checked the first knee, and it really showed off by being 135 and 0. I am looking forward to one exercise he gave me to help with swelling. Lying down with my knee bent and my foot on top of a 55 cm. exercise ball, I do a midrange small pumping motion, rolling the ball away from and toward me. He said that it would push the swelling out of the joint. He said it was like a CPM machine, except instead of Continuous Passive Motion it is Continuous Active Motion. Felt good and no stress at all. I told him my woes with my fused ankle stressing my new knee. The PT office is part of the ortho group my OS and ankle guy are with, and he is going to talk to both of them and design a plan for me. I am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.
 
Don't you love it when they all work together? My OS group and PT are together also, it made everything easier, plus I felt good knowing the dr was so close if anything went wrong with my knee/infection.
 
Today knee #1 is 18 weeks old and knee #2 is 6 weeks old. Went to my first ever outpatient PT today, having had my eval last week. Was surprised how much I enjoyed it. My pt had me do lots of different things. All at my own pace and stretch level. At the end he measured me and I was at 97. 7 degrees in one week. I am over the moon! Will do pt 3 times a week starting next week. I think it will be good for me. But will not hesitate to back it down if it starts to hurt. Got on a recumbent bike for the first time in my life. I am miles away from making a full rotation, but felt really good to start to work on it.
 
I had a regular exercise bike, but loved the recumbent and how much better it was for my back so I bought one about a year ago. That's how I get my miles in. Love the recumbent bike!
 
Will do pt 3 times a week starting next week. I think it will be good for me. But will not hesitate to back it down if it starts to hurt.
Three times a week sounds like a bit too often. Don't hesitate to cut back the frequency if you get any pain or swelling, either during or after the sessions.
 
I always felt better after PT and I had a great therapist. In fact, I think I left PT too early. So this drop-out has re-enrolled to take care of some ongoing issues.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had the similar PT positive experience. I always left PT more flexible and a little spring in my step! I am headed home tomorrow. My first OP PT is setup for Monday. It will probably be 5 weeks before I'm ready for the recumbent. Like Karri, I have one at home. Mine's going on 25 years old. Wow!
 
I look forward to pt and even do the exercises the days I don't go in. I have a love/hate relationship with the green strap exercise or some pt's use a twisted sheet to criss cross your foot, lower and upper leg to enable you to pull your foot toward you to increase your bend. I hate it while I'm doing it, but I feel so much better and more flexible and limber afterwards.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
So I did some cooking and cleaning and shopping yesterday. Got stuck standing in a line for about 15 minutes. Was good and tired and sore by the time I went to bed around 11, so I says to myself "I do not need any Tylenol PM tonight! I will sleep like a baby." At around 3am I finally gave in and took a percocet. Got about 5 hrs. of fitful sleep. Got up feeling very sorry for myself. And you know what? I feel fantastic today! I don't recommend my method, but am confounded by the unfathomable cause and effect.

My oldest son will be home for Christmas, and he has offered to go to my gym with me and set up a workout program for me. My knees will be 24 weeks and 12 weeks old on Christmas Eve, and I am so looking forward to beginning to strengthen my body. Life is good. Latest world news has me appreciating that today.
 
@Slainte, like you I'm so looking forward to strengthening my body.im going to make the best of these new knees. I think they will be about 14 weeks and 6 weeks old Christmas time. I'm looking forward to keeping my body in motion, maybe losing some weight.

My 8 week old left knee has stepped right up to do the tasks needed. It feels wonderful.

I'm back in the CPM at 90 degrees. Life is good.
 
Wow. What a beacon of hope you are. My Rtkr is 1 Dec. and your progress and great attitude have inspired me and given me hope. I want to be just like you!! Except for your hospital room mate that is. ☺️
 
Good to hear you're doing well. PT 3x a week may work if they're short sessions or like my early ones were mostly icing with the GameReady (what I like to call the super-icer) ;) . I'm glad you're not worse for wear getting stuck in the checkout line.

Your son may be able to give you some good exercise ideas, but remember to go slow. Your first knee will be more ready than your latest knee. So you'll have 2 knee "bosses" to listen to at once. :bicycle2: :wink:
 
I went to PT 3 times a week starting 5 days after surgery and did it for two months. After that I started riding a recumbent bike in the gym per my OS instructions. I'm still doing the bike and should probably start weight training too. Jo, you are doing so great....a real inspiration all us BoneSmarties.
 
Slainte: your comment about standing in a checkout line for 15 minutes made me start thinking about Christmas shopping, my 2 new knees and the consequences of standing in lines for too long. Think I'll be shopping online or giving checks this year.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
There is no way I would go Christmas shopping this year in the real world. Amazon started their early Black Friday sales today and I bought a couple of presents already.

Went to PT today and was put through my paces. One thing he had me do was to stand between the balance bars and lift the knee high enough so that it was bent 90 degrees and my thigh was parallel with the floor. Hold for two seconds, the put that foot down and lift the other knee and hold for two seconds. Sort of like marching in place in slow motion. Told me to hover my hands over the bars in case I needed steadying. 15 reps. Holy moly. I had to hold on to the bars the whole time. This is not a strenuous exercise, but it was a challenge for me. My flexion was 101 today. Excruciatingly slow progress, but my PT promised me I would get there. 7 weeks out tomorrow. Oh, and 19 weeks out for my other knee. My stamina is increasing. Am going to see Spectre at a local cinema grill this weekend. They have loveseats, chairs, and tables, so I plan to get there early and commandeer a comfy spot where I can put my leg up. Started driving again, and today I managed to get my left leg in the driver's seat of my tiny Toyota Corolla without having to resort to using the handle of my cane to lift it in. Tiny little improvements all the time. I am so thankful to be making progress.
 
I drive a Corolla too! You really sound good. In the early days of recovery there are so many daily accomplishments and firsts. Each one is so rewarding. Sounds like you have a good therapist. Happy 7th week and 19th week!
 
That is quite a workout you pulled off at PT!! Well done.
I am finding it interesting to read about all the different protocols the surgeons and PT use.
Mine had me marching in place while standing on our dog's memory foam bed!!
Can't wait to get back to driving!!
Great progress!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom