TKR ski_bum's Recovery Thread

You’re not alone, many are not tech savvy. Glad your wife could help making it easier for you to find the forum and your thread. You and wifey have a nice evening! :wave:
@ski_bum
 
Recently Bonesmart held a Forum by Zoom where you could post questions and have answers by one of Several Doctors.
It was very interesting and informative.

One of my questions was, " Do you have to take Antibiotics prior to Dental work?"

My Dentist insists on this. 4-500mg tablets 1 hour prior to Dental work including cleaning. Then 1 tablet every 6 hours until prescription finished.

This was the reply to my question by Bonesmart Host Dr. Raj K. Sinha.

Raj K. Sinha,
I recommend it for a lifetime—single dose before cleaning. American Dental Association recommends preventative antibiotics for only 2 years after joint replacement
 
Fascinating! Thanks for sharing. I literally (2 hours ago) broke a crown and had this whole conversation with the dentist and my Surgeon’s office. My OS has the same recommendation as Raj K. Sinha … Although the OS office did say they do the 4x500mg keflex dose before but should you require additional antibiotics, they leave the choice and the dose at the dentists discretion.
 
The antibiotics with dental procedures is quite a controversy, with many opinions.

I am opposed to taking an antibiotic, for me, when I am not sick, so I searched and found a dentist who does not believe they are necessary after joint replacement, and in the 5 years since my surgery I have never taken them, and never had a problem.

Do your own research and make the decision you are comfortable with. You can google the statement “antibiotics with dental procedures after joint replacement” and read what the American Dental Association ( ADA) and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) has to say.

We also have the following article in the Bonesmart library. It is long, you can scroll down to post #4.
 
I will add, that the only dental work I‘ve had in the last 5 years is basic cleaning, and redoing an old cavity, so nothing more extensive.
 
HI ski bum :wave:
The opinions on this topic from the medical professional professionals, dentists and orthopedic surgeons alike is as varied as joint replacement recovery protocol.
Neither my surgeon, or dentist recommend antibiotics for dental work, or routine cleanings. I have routine cleanings and was in need of a crown thanks to a popcorn seed. :gaah:Since I don’t want to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I try to keep my immune system in optimal health to hopefully ward off infection or disease. Following is a nutritional article on Probiotics from our BoneSmart Library.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/probiotics.20811/

Hope you have a great day!
@ski_bum
 
HI ski bum :wave:
The opinions on this topic from the medical professional professionals, dentists and orthopedic surgeons alike is as varied as joint replacement recovery protocol.
Neither my surgeon, or dentist recommend antibiotics for dental work, or routine cleanings. I have routine cleanings and was in need of a crown thanks to a popcorn seed. :gaah:Since I don’t want to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. I try to keep my immune system in optimal health to hopefully ward off infection or disease. Following is a nutritional article on Probiotics from our BoneSmart Library.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/probiotics.20811/

Hope you have a great day!
@ski_bum
I was just posting the response from Bonesmart Forum Host, which is the same as My Dentist.
Many people are not aware.
Don

Raj K. Sinha, MD
I recommend it lifestime—single dose before cleaning. American Dental Association recommends preventative antibiotics for only 2 years after joint replacement
 
I was due to get my cleaning back in March. When I returned home in late February after my hip surgery I called my dentist to reschedule figuring it would be too difficult for me to get hoisted up and down in dentist chair for an hour.
She told me I had to wait 3 months before I could get my teeth cleaned after my surgery and also about taking the antibiotics prior to cleaning. I'm scheduled this upcoming Monday 2/13 for cleaning and picked up the prescription last week.
It's 2000mg of Amoxocillin to be taken one hour before my appointment.
I also don't like taking medicine I don't need so I'm torn on this subject.
 
I was just posting the response from Bonesmart Forum Host, which is the same as My Dentist.
Many people are not aware.
Thanks for doing so, varying opinions are welcome here. It is an interesting topic. I do recall the waiting period post op and the recommendation to visit the dentist ahead of surgery if I was due, or had any issues.

Read up on it, but from my understanding you can take a probiotic while taking an antibiotic, but the dosages should be far removed from the other. It is the belief of many, myself included, that it will aid in gut health where it’s been noted up to 70% of our immune system lies. So you can do something proactive while not neglecting those pearly whites.
 
@Daisymay, I am replying to your post, not sure if this is how I am supposed to do rather than on your post.

I am 1 year today for my RTKR.
6 months after surgery I developed what they said was IT Band. The pain started in my hip, ran down my quad to knee to Calf.
A friend got me using a Roller and that helps. Then second LTKR 2 1/2 months ago the surgeon said he did something different dealing with IT Band. Short story I now have 2 IT Bands. Two weeks ago I saw another Surgeon and he said it is not the IT Band but the muscle that runs beside the IT Band. He says, walk it out.
Hope this is not your issue and wish you a good recovery.
 
  • Like
Reactions: shr
5 months of pain, sleepless nights since LTKR March 31, 2022 (including button under knee cap).
I have tried all types of pain medicine, roller IT Band, tens machine, vibrator with next to no success except Hot Tub but can't live in the Tub.

Today X-Rays on both knees and visit with Surgeon.
Dr. confirmed mechanical parts in left knee is functioning properly but suspects soft tissue inflamed on lateral of knee due to tightness from IT Band and muscles.

I have been Icing, elevating everyday. Stopped PT after second visit was too to aggressive.
The pain stops when walking & riding stationary bike, (motion is lotion) but painful and stiff when sitting or trying to sleep on my side.
When waken during the night from pain, I get up and walk around the house, sometimes back to bed, other times to the recliner.

Surgeon injected Cortisone into lateral tissue at knee.

TOO LATE NOW but O how I wish I had not been talked into second knee replacement after 9 months similar IT Band issues on RTKR June 10, 2021.
 
O how I wish I had not been talked into second knee replacement after 9 months similar IT Band issues on RTKR June 10, 2021.
I am so sorry. I hope the injection helps ease the pain and you find permanent relief as more time passes. :console2:
 
I am so sorry that things have not gone better for you. My first year was pretty bad also. But, even though my total outcome, 5 years later, is not good, I did have a lot of improvement in my second year, in general. I hope that you will also see more improvement in the months ahead.
The pain stops when walking & riding stationary bike, (motion is lotion) but painful and stiff when sitting or trying to sleep on my side.
It’s interesting that you feel more pain when you are still. I am the opposite. My knee feels fine if I’m sitting with my legs up on my favorite ottoman.
 
I am so sorry that things have not gone better for you. My first year was pretty bad also. But, even though my total outcome, 5 years later, is not good, I did have a lot of improvement in my second year, in general. I hope that you will also see more improvement in the months ahead.
The pain stops when walking & riding stationary bike, (motion is lotion) but painful and stiff when sitting or trying to sleep on my side.
It’s interesting that you feel more pain when you are still. I am the opposite. My knee feels fine if I’m sitting with my legs up on my favorite ottoman.
Thank you
 
Our knees will wear out one way or another. I’m sure you enjoyed all that skiing.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom