THR Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a fellow swimmer I have to jump in here. Swimming is excellent exercise, especially for us hipsters and especially if you've been doing it for a while and have decent technique. I would say swimming in a pool would be much easier on your than the ocean hip b/c your not dealing with currents and trying to stabilize as well as rotate (freestyle and least), your muscles may not be strong enough for that yet and your form may get out of whack. I think it also depends on how many yards (or I guess it's technically long course season so your pool may be meters) you're swimming at one time. Doing a nice and easy 1000-1200 yd workout (no breaststroke yet I would say - that kick, I think would hurt) should be no problem if you're a big swimmer. If you're going out there and doing 4000 yds I would say that's a bit much for right now. But again, I'm just a swimmer with a hip replacement, not a PT, not a surgeon.

I also am a strong believer in PT, especially if you have years of bad muscle compensation patterns from years of bad hips. I need a PT to help me know when I'm actually engaging my glutes instead of using every other muscle in that area to do a squat (and a damn good squat form wise, considering I'm hardly using my glutes!) as well as to massage out my extra tight quads etc etc. But I'm never super sore after therapy. A little sore, she challenges me and gets me using muscles that have gone to sleep but it doesn't last for days afterwards. My PT also made me realize that my form while using my crutch was horrible, and got me walking (normal). I told her I was trying to walk without the crutch at home and she said that was a no no. Until I can walk without a limp I should use a cane or crutch. Hobbling about without the support of a cane can lead to back and SI joint problems. It's really the whole reason they have us on crutches to begin with, so that we don't limp. We can walk without crutches after surgery in terms of not doing damage but they don't want us limping all over the place. Maybe you should change therapists if you're current one is causing too much pain but I would not throw the baby out with bathwater.

Just my 2 cents. Hope you find a way to rehab with a little less pain, although 6 weeks out I think there should still be a little pain. I also hope you figure out a way to do your job without too much limping!
 
Lee, Thank you for your kind response. I think we have to think like the moderators but adjust to our own situation. Listen to the basics and act with what our body tells us. Oh yes, our bodies talk to us in many ways, Pain,energy, cramps, anxiety, ect. I am glad you adjusted to your exercises and overall reined yourself back. That is not a sign of weakness, it means you are gonna get stronger each day without 1 single setback. You control that part all by yourself. Take your meds as needed, adjust according to that part of the day, you will be able to slow down as you heal. I was taking 2 10mg / 325 norco 3-4 times a day for 1yr just to get to work plus 8 2oomg of ibupropen every 3-4 times daily. I have reduced to 1 norco per day and 4 ibuprofen per day. When you go to you new gym practice in front of the aerobic mirrors to work on you stride and gait. Also LA fitness has salt water pools just a fyi. If you have any ??? please let me know. Plus, Did you marry your Man?
 
Lee, I had my LTHR in Oct 2012, my RTHR one month ago this coming Monday. I had quick recoveries both times. My pace at 3-4 weeks is good, I am walking without the crutch inside more or less normally, outside I take the crutch. My physical therapist has said that I have healed both times very quickly comparatively-- so I think you are on the right course, 3,4,6, 12 weeks are all very early.

At about 14 weeks after my LTHR, I kind of forgot that the surgery had been done, it wasn't perfect (and I still have one small part of one muscle that gets sore after a workout right on the incision line), but it was 90+%. And better than that now.

I have one suggestion: Do the second hip as soon as feasible, don't wait years to do it. (I think you know that, but it is important.) In my case, my LTHR was more sore and more swollen and recovery was slightly harder, but I only waited about 9 months after I saw the bone on bone in the x-ray. My wife thought that was a long time, but I know I did it relatively quickly. It was my first hospital stay, and I was scared like everyone. My recent RTHR was done 2-3 months after a bit of pain and a month after a horrible x-ray. I said 'lets do this right away.' I think the good healing was a result. And my OS told me that he found a diseased femoral head, but very little inflammation, and the operation was relatively easy for him.

Good luck in your recovery, give it time and you will be very happy with the result. And do the other one as soon as you can.

Mark
 
One more thing: The claims in ads of people riding horses after two weeks and the doctors who advertise 'go home the same' day (and some do it) are pretty shameful. My friend in the medical profession says that sending home someone from a THR the same day is risky. But you don't need to be an MD, you just need common sense to know that. My PT friend told me that he has worked at home with people who've come home the same day and they don't understand why they are in pain or need to work at the PT to get better. The 'go home the same day' and 'ride a horse in two weeks' sets up ridiculous expectations.
 
Thanks to all these comments.

April I did go to therapy with your words in mind and it was very helpful advice; most especially when the few new exercises were added that really showed how weak some parts of the leg were.

And yes did marry that man!

Mark, my doctor discussed with me that after years of working in hospitals and jails he was concerned about potential colonization of MRSA with me and wanted me out of the hospital ASAP. He also made it a point to ask who specifically would be with me (two friends and my husband), how my house was set up (first floor, no stairs, stand up shower) and a nurse and Physical therapist were sent out the next day. If I had not had help the first week I know he would have discharged me to a rehab center.

It was also moments after my spinal wore off in the hospital that I was standing and walking to the bathroom while in the hospital. That kind of amazed me. And then later in the day he came to my room during rounds, took my foot and pulled up and down on it. He said "That's how strong this is"....talk about freaking me out but it did give me a clear indication that it was his expectation that I not "baby" it as I had been doing for so many years. I was instructed I could shower within 2 days (I had this "new" type of dressing and GLUE holding the wound together. I think all these instructions are so different person to person.

One thing I kept asking myself was "What do old people do?". It seems it would be so challenging for them.

I see you have had two replacements. I will need the another but will wait until next summer as I cannot imagine doing this in the winter. I see you waited two years apart. I wonder if this was because of recovery time or just life logistics.
 
I wasn't commenting on how soon you went home, I did too, but on the doctors who promise people that they'll be home the day of surgery, which is an unfair promise. Or that they'd be riding horses after two weeks.

About mine being 20 months apart: It was not about either recovery time or logistics -- I went home from the first, had a pretty normal and active (semi-retired) life for about 18 months, then the right hip started to hurt. I decided after the left was done that I would not wait one day more than I had to, so when I saw the bone on bone in my last right hip x-ray (and with pain starting), I took the first appointment they would give me, which was pretty close to right away. I do not regret it, there was less pain, less waiting time, and the results were marginally better with less inflammation.

Best,

Mark
 
What you say kind of confirms what I have felt in the past few weeks. My operative hip now has greater range of motion than my non-op side. I've seen both x-rays and the "good" hip needs it soon. The only reason I'm going to wait is I really don't want to do this in the winter. I waited (a stupid) 15 years to do this one. Your words make me feel better about this choice. I can still do the golf ball bend on the left side so I think waiting until next year will be OK. And you're right...until 2 days ago when I found this site I felt like I was WWAAAAAYY behind and it was making me very anxious. I don't know where any gets off saying you can play golf the next week or start running in a month. That information really tensed me up and, I think, slowed me. In the past two days I have cut my pain meds at least in half if not more. I can actually see an end to the medication tunnel.
 
We have a friend who is planning on driving to a conference and presenting less than a week after his first THR. Then he is having the other done. He thinks he will then be able to run again. I can't even imagine it. I plan on treating this new hip like a prized possession. After thirty years of running I will be happy to walk and cycle. Gentle exercise will be fine for me.
 
That's exactly how I feel. I loved running but one of the things that has probably worked out good for the both of us is a history of weight lifting. I dreaded the results of my bone density tests figuring that three years of a relative sendentary and painful lifestyle would have destroyed a lifetime of weightlifting and exercising. Thankfully I was wrong. I'm right with you and the density was good. I feel grateful to have this new hardware and would do nothing to jepardize it. Has your friend had his surgery yet? I couldn't imagine a long car drove less than one week out. In fact I know I couldn't have done it. I hope all goes well for him but I suspect he may be here with us all wondering why he can't do all those things. But at least he will find some support.
 
He has one in mid September and one in November. He probably will be right here! This isn't like an athletic injury. I do notice improvement. Baby steps... Slow baby steps... Just good to know that we are normal.
 
Now this changes the subject but after a wonderful day I read an article that showed a few different ways to do the golf ball pick up and one of them extended my leg in a weird way and now I have sharp pains which always freak me out. I'm so stupid!! You know how your imagination runs wild and you think you've done something really bad? This site has really helped me with that but now I'm having those pains. After a good day. The first one with no nap. although that's not good.
 
Just like I was freaked out after I picked up sticks and walked around the block. Probably just your body telling you not to do that again. I only nap once in a while now. I am not full of energy at five o'clock, but I sleep better at night.
 
Hi Lee, congratulations on getting married! Yay....
Glad you are feeling so much more positive!
@lovetowalk Your name says it all for me. I love to walk, too.
I jogged for 30 years and no doubt led me down this OA path.
So, my prized new hip will not be running, no way. Walking and cycling are good.
I love the recumbent bike!
 
Hi Major Heidi,

Of course not knowing this system here and being new to the blog thing I was writing to lovetowalk. When I write to someone or about someone do I write, for instance hi @MajorHeidi?

And I don't know how to put my thread into my space.

And I was born in Charlottesville, I do love to run, I also think it took its toll on my leg and if I could bike swim and walk I would be feeling great!

Thanks and @lovetowalk has been helping me out all day and so has this site. I'm so very glad I found it. I had my first completely cane-less day one day after listening and reading and I completely attribute it to feeling so much more relaxed.
 
@lee0605 It is always best that you 'tag' anyone you want to see your post by using the @name
so they get an alert. Otherwise, they might not see your post at all. :) So try to do that.... many people
just don't know or don't remember to do it.....

Charlottesville is a pretty town.
I am a HOKIE.
:chuck:
 
Lee, Yes, @lee0605 that is how it works. And I would see it at the top of my laptop screen on the top right.
On my ipad, it doesn't show alerts......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom