THR Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine, no formal role but just an observer. I have several relatives who have had knee replacements and the ones who did what the doctors told them to do in terms of rehab are walking great. I have other relatives who didn't really rehab their knees, and years later, they are still limping/hobbling.

The people who have had hip replacements that I know and who exercise are doing great. I know a few people who are years out from surgery and are complaining of pain/stiffness. These particular people are sedentary.

Of course, this is a very small sample. The learning for myself is that I should keep exercising moderately and walking even after I get out of the recovery stages to give myself the greatest benefit of the surgery.
 
@Josephine

One more question you will likely find a bit goofy.

I am aware I am asking for your opinion and not your permission but you seem to have much more of a handle on just about everything.

I am scheduled (from 9/16 - 9/24) to travel to a remote island in the tropics where I can swim in the sea everyday. I am a very strong swimmer and had planned on 1/2 hour to an hour day in the water (crawl stroke), floating and some walking at hip level in water. Prior to surgery the sea was the single place I had no knee or hip pain...... Like magic.

Where my husband DA and I go requires two flights; one on a small plane. Our house is in the middle of nowhere. We often have much to do to get it "set" when we arrive at our house...(it is one room..like a box). Two small Solar panels, cistern...not even a fridge...........I want him to know he will be carrying much of this work and I think he just needs some education like I did and do............ Our house has two chairs I find very very comfortable and I have exceptionally peaceful naps when I am there. This is not a resort place (to say the very very least) so there is very little to do other than swim and, normally, fish and hike. There is no hospital on the island and although we buy insurance it would take at least 4 hours to get to a western type of hospital.

As I said I think it would be good for my husband to know what I should do and should not do. Or to understand that I have been doing WAY to much (I will show him the responses to the questions) according to your assessment.

I know I will feel very tired by 8 or 9 and don't want to disappoint him by being low energy. In the past few days I have thought about canceling even though this was scheduled awhile ago but if I have help and understanding I think it would serve as a very relaxing time.

I know this is a strange question but I truly value your experience and opinion. I feel I will cancel unless this can be very relaxing and

Thank you,

Lee
 
@Josephine

53 years as an orthopaedic nurse is a feat. My mom was in the same specialty. She ended up with 4 back surgeries from all that circulating. She died to young in 2010. I have recently felt her loss so acutely as she would have taken care of me.....and kept me in my place as you are doing now. I say with tears in my eyes that my mother, Mo, is smiling down at you and thanking you for helping me. Words cannot in any sufficient way express how strong this feeling is.
 
I have other relatives who didn't really rehab their knees, and years later, they are still limping/hobbling.
Well, so do I know folks in that state but it was little or nothing to with whether/how much they 'rehabbed' their new joint. Some people are destined to have a poor outcome no matter what for a huge variety of reasons. But I can only speak on what I observe myself which is that excessive exercising is far worse than no exercising at all. Far worse.
The learning for myself is that I should keep exercising moderately
Well now you have it! Therein lies the key to everything!!

Remember the words that the Buddha heard that gave him the key to enlightenment (according to the Keanu Reeves film!)
Tutor speaking to his sitar student "Make the string too tight and it will break. Let it be too slack and it will not play"

As in all things, moderation is key!
 
THR June 5 - 16-24th September
One more question you will likely find a bit goofy.
Don't you know, there is NO SUCH THING as a silly question on BoneSmart!
I am aware I am asking for your opinion and not your permission but you seem to have much more of a handle on just about everything.
You flatterer you!
I am scheduled (from 9/16 - 9/24) to travel to a remote island in the tropics where I can swim in the sea everyday
Wow, that sounds heavenly. Can I come too?
[Bonesmart.org] Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?
[Bonesmart.org] Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?

As I said I think it would be good for my husband to know what I should do and should not do. I know I will feel very tired by 8 or 9 and don't want to disappoint him by being low energy.
Well, you'll be 15 weeks out then so by most standards you should be pretty much back to normal in most ways. And as for the Energy Drain, yes, you might have days or times when you find you need to rest but it sounds like you are going to be in the perfect place to do that! Just don't expect too much of yourself in the terms of long hikes or swims at the start. Work out day by day what you are capable of and stretch it a bit from time to time. That's how we all figure out what we're capable of.

I just suggest that for the main flights, you request assistance either end of the flight. You get a wheelchair and someone to push it, you get fast tracked through check in and customs and priority boarding outward bound. On return, you get the same except you have to wait until the plane is empty before your assister will come and get you! And, so far as I have been informed, it's all free! Do make use of this so you don't have to walk miles to and from the aircraft. It's well worth it.

Have a lovely holiday!
 
@lee0605 I feel like I've missed so much. Back to school with both my full time and my college job has been hectic to say the least. I am experiencing a soreness in the operated leg down the thigh and sometimes my butt hurts (glute). I truly do not feel I am doing too much but if I step back and really look perhaps I am. Just writing on the board may be tweaking stuff as I try to do it sideways as I don't want to not have an eye on the class. Some of my students are not to be trusted too far. I admit it has been tough getting back into the grind so to speak. Man a remote island and the ocean sounds great about now. And yes I am counting down to summer break so that I can have my other hip done. I also made an appt with the podiatrist as I have very flat feet and the ankle of the non - operated leg turns down and from my knee down is crooked making that leg shorter. Hope something like an orthotic or brace can help there. Sorry I haven't called as I'm still trying to get in the swing of the new school year. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom