TKR Signed for second TKR

@Badbone Welcome to the other side! Glad your surgery went smoothly! I hope they can get your pain under control for you. Sending healing vibes & well wishes! :flwrysmile: Let us know how you are when you are up to it.
 
Congratulations on your second knee!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​


4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Forgot to mention went for a four mile walk a couple of weeks ago, around Bridport and up the 300ft hill. Lots of undulating paths and grassy tussocks to cover. The left operated leg did well, a little painful on the way down but far better than the other leg which prompted me me find a stick to help steady on the slippery muddy parts. Made me happier to go into this operation, it really will be worth it. Oh, whatever the nurse gave me worked and I slept until early morning when she woke me demanding a urine sample!
 
Last edited:
Made me happier to go into this operation, it really will be worth it.
I’m so glad that first knee is doing well and was worth all the recovery entailed! And I’m sure it helps this time to know a lot of what to expect. First time around can be so worrisome when things come up that are normal, but we didn’t know they were normal.
 
Back home after only one night in hospital. Last knee replacement we moved a bed downstairs for a month, feel so much more confident on the stairs I am now lying in bed upstairs. Wife has moved to spare room as nervous she may kick me in her sleep also lot of the bed taken up with my pillow stack.
 
Congrats @Badbone ! Eagerly awaiting updates from you as the days go by. Am especially curious as to how you're dealing with #2 physically and perhaps more importantly mentally (as I'm coming close to a #2 myself.) Are you dealing with the 2nd differently from the first, applying lessons learned from the first perhaps? Does confidence from having gone through this before count for anything? (I sure hope it does!) Do you now view your first knee as the good one? I'm guessing from your long hikes across uneven terrain before #2, #1 was performing fantastically.

Best wishes on a speedy return to a new normal!
 
Welcome to the other side with knee #2!! You should feel like an old pro at this point. :wink: Keep us posted on your recovery.....
 
Now day three after the second knee replacement. Feel much better than at this stage with the first knee op. Have managed to keep off the opiate meds, the tournequet damage not so bad. Still happy to go and down the stairs. I
Know it early days but do wonder why the difference, my wife jokes that the surgeon is right handed so standing on one side of the operating table is easier than the other. Good university project for someone. Hope things are OK tomorrow.
 
I’m glad things are better this time! Every knee is different, even on the same person. I think in some aspects you know what to expect, so maybe you’re more relaxed about everything? Since you’re feeling so good, just be careful, setbacks can happen quickly. And, I like your wife’s viewpoint!
 
Welcome back @Badbone! I'm glad this recovery is already outperforming or as my pastor might say "it's showing off and showing out". :) Slow and steady.
 
Now day eight on my right knee and four and a half months on my left knee. Like last time the pain has increased a little in right knee. Annoyingly the left knee is also playing up although little swelling. I suppose I am asking the left to do more work now so it is feeling hard done by. As I mentioned before they used clips on the first knee and sutures on the second, do not know why. A lot of dark red bleeding on the first day, the nurse pressed around the cut and managed to expel quite a bit of blood. Leg now has blood pooling under the skin behind my thigh, shin and ankle. Similar to last time although more of it. Have the same cramping in both legs when waking, hopefully this will soon go. On a positive note I 'walked' up to the shops for a paper yesterday about 400yards. Remembered to take a rucksack this time as both hands full with crutches.
 
Be careful, @Badbone ..... 400 yards would have been WAY too much for me at barely a week post-op. That's 4 (American) football fields! :flabber: Yes, your left knee is being asked to take a lot more now and compensate for the right. Remember, this is very early days for you so take it easy.....
 
I am using those crutches that clip on to your forearm. Sometimes when things start to ache I find walking actually reduces the pain. Last time I slept downstairs for a month, upstairs now. I keep a pair of crutches plus a single one at the foot of the stairs with the other single at the top. We have a good bannister so I go up using one crutch then pick up the other one to move around the upstairs rooms, same on the way back. I now have a wooden plank that I prop up between the centre of the settee to let me lie down with my leg elevated. Upstairs I use a pillow stack having evicted my wife to the spare room to give me more space as often move position at night when woken with pain. I have an old aircraft hostie trolley in the kitchen that I trundle around when getting food. I now take a rucksack with me when going to the shops. All in all it is surprising how you develop little tricks to make life easier. Had a rather comical, if painful, situation today. My mobile phone rang, by the time I had got onto my crutches and hobbled over to pick it up it stopped ringing. Sat down again and tried to call back when the house phone rang. Same palaver to get on the crutches and go to answer that when of course it too stopped. Finally sat down again and managed to call back on the mobile. My cheery wife asked If I needed anything from the shops, she was a little surprised when I blasted her for making me hop to and fro. I reckon I am going to have to apologise soon as running out of food.
 
I’m sorry you had so much trouble answering the phone, but it was a great read. (I probably shouldn’t tell you it made me laugh a little. :heehee: ) I think that was your PT for the day!
I’m sure your wife will understand, I’m sure she loves you!:roseshwr:
 
:rotfl:@Badbone- your post did make me laugh, as its so relateable, fortunately now we have done away with our land phones but have similar problems with mobile phones, I'm constantly forgetting to walk with it attached to my side, and usually if it rings I get blasted for taking so long to answer it :heehee:
 
[QUOTE="glidefloss, post: 1527532, .......
Am especially curious as to how you're dealing with #2 physically and perhaps more importantly mentally (as I'm coming close to a #2 myself.) Are you dealing with the 2nd differently from the first, applying lessons learned from the first perhaps? Does confidence from having gone through this before count for anything? (I sure hope .....p
[/QUOTE]

Sorry for late reply. Yes, confidence is a big thing, from knowing your surgeon to silly things like knowing what will happen on the run up appointments. I always wore shorts to save all that undressing and dressing. Although now halfway through the second week, I have accepted the increasing pain over the last few days from the bruised thigh due to the tourniquet. The vivid bruising is starting to fade. Having bought that exercise bike helps, still cannot get the operated knee over the top on the pedal but have found rocking it back and forth does bring some pain relief. Looking back on my own Bonesmart posts also help keep things in perspective.
Good luck with the second knee, the last hill to climb then onto an easier life.
 
My cheery wife asked If I needed anything from the shops, she was a little surprised when I blasted her for making me hop to and fro. I reckon I am going to have to apologise soon as running out of food.
I hope she understands when you apologize. I know I yelled at my spouse for not being there when I needed support and then broke down into tears for yelling - lol. This recovery is a doozy.
 
Day eleven, much like the last knee. Walked with two crutches about 200 yds to the bus, ten minute ride, 300 or 400 yards around town, bus back and 200 yards back home. Comfortable while walking and on bus but pain came flooding in again after sitting for an hour or so. Get up to walk around to ease things as last time. Sat and watched a movie, had to get up and stand for a few minutes. Think I will have to carry on with the opiates for a couple of days. I will see the nurse on day fourteen for a check up and dressing removal. The doc said the stitches will have probably already disolved or the nurse will remove them. Hope to be on one crutch at the end of the third week.
Have an almost straight leg with a little over 90° extension.
Expecting another disturbed night. Lost four pounds over the ten days.
 
Sounds pretty good for 11 days post op!
 
@Badbone, that's a lot of work for that baby knee I hope you gave it a rest for a few days after that activity. I hope the nurse's visit today is uneventful.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom