TKR Signed for second TKR

Day fourteen, just got back from the hospital after having the dressing removed. I asked why they used stitches on this knee yet four months ago they used clips on the other knee. Although the nurse could not comment on my knee as she was not in the OR, she did say her department much prefer stitches, normally they drop out in two weeks thus avoiding subjecting the patient to the painful clip removal. She also said anyone can fit clips but it takes proper training to carry out stitching. Well my stitches had fallen out and the scar looks much nicer than the other leg at the same stage. Walking well with two crutches, getting in and out of car becoming easier, navigated the hospital steps OK. So will see the NHS physio in two weeks and the surgeon in about a month. Then will visit a private physio guy who helped with the first leg.
Generally OK, moderate pain that worsens in the evening while watching TV, morning camps, old knee starting to ache as I am asking a lot more of it to support baby knee.
 
I can see why your September knee is getting angry. It is still healing and having to do double work now is rough on it. You can ice and elevate it, too. That will probably help it to calm down some.

Your new knee sounds like it is doing quite well, above normal!
 
Three weeks, started to walk around house with only one crutch. 95' flexion.
Hi @Badbone , how does knee #2 compare to #1 at this stage? (I do know that comparing is sort of discouraged as every knee is different, even if attached to the same body.)

How's knee #1 holding up as the now "good" knee?

All the best on your recovery(ies)!!
 
Difficult to say. I am now at five months on the left knee and one month on the right. Things seem to be going quicker with the second leg but that may just because I may be a little less nervous at moving on a level. In my mind there is the initial weakness and pain after the op, then at about one week feel happy to leave the house on crutches for short 100yd walks. Two weeks able to walk with crutches 200 to 400 yards travel on bus. Week three start using one crutch around house. Week four on one crutch all the time and moving around the house walking stick being careful to keep near emergency handholds, table etc. If the new leg behaves like the other I hope to move to just using walking stick all the time. At six weeks walk short distances with no stick, although I took one with me if going into town as it seems to make people give me a wide berth. At two months no supports and slowly building up distance, walked four miles by three months.
The left leg still a bit numb on the outside, a tugging sensation when walking like my trousers are glued to my kneecap. The new knee feels like it is wrapped in sticky tape, also cold sensation down outside of leg, oddly if trying to ease things with a hot water bottle I can feel the heat but also cold at the same time.
Good luck with your leg.
 
@Badbone, that's a great report, it sounds like you are coming right along. Are you happy with your recoveries?
 
Yes, things seem to be going well. Visited the Physio guy this afternoon, says I am doing well, told me to address my gait, lots of 'heel - toe' rather than keeping my foot flat.
 
I’m so glad to hear that your recovery is going well! Thank you for sharing your experiences!
 
The heel - toe mantra is a good one that will help you recover.
 
We share the same surgery date. How are you feeling almost one month out?
 
We share the same surgery date. How are you feeling almost one month out?
All well at the moment. Still having trouble sleeping through the night, hard to find a comfortable position so on average wake at 0200, 0400 and 0600. Take my morning pain meds when I wake then try to sleep through to 0900. Been taking meds every six hours which seems to fit my daily schedule OK. Today will be walking 300yds to the bus stop then twenty minute bus ride to the Hospital for physio appointment. If anything like the last one just a ten minute chat and check extension and flexion. I also see a private physio guy who is very helpful, massage and advice on getting my gait right by concentrating on the heel - toe motion.
Don't know where you are, in the UK the free at point of use National Health Service is very good but basic. I had the op, one night in hospital then the physio nurse checked I could make it to the toilet and climb a short set of steps on crutches and then off home. Two weeks later back to remove wound dressing and any stitches. A month later a short chat with the physio. Two month after op see the surgeon to check all OK, this time it may just be a phone call, after that you are on your own.
 
Don't know where you are, in the UK the free at point of use National Health Service is very good but basic. I had the op, one night in hospital then the physio nurse checked I could make it to the toilet and climb a short set of steps on crutches and then off home. Two weeks later back to remove wound dressing and any stitches. A month later a short chat with the physio. Two month after op see the surgeon to check all OK, this time it may just be a phone call, after that you are on your own.
My own experience was very similar here in the US. I went home the same day (after bathroom and stair checks) and removed my own dressing a week later. At two weeks I went in and met with the PA (Physician Assistant) for a check up and then at 6 weeks post-op I met with the OS. He turned me loose as I was recovering well and said he didn't need to see me for a year unless something came up and I was free to call him anytime.
 
Thanks for your update. Here in the US I stayed one night in the hospital as well. The 2nd day walked to a special room that was set up with steps, a bed and a car. Shown how to navigate them. Whereas you were sent home with crutches I used a walker. Started Physical Therapy 3 days later and continued 3x a week for the first 2 weeks then I knocked it down to 2x a week. Saw Physician’s Assistant at two weeks where they took x-rays and went over my progress. No need to remove stitches because they used glue.
I’m presently bending my knee at 110 degrees. I still have a bit of pain and was just starting to feel better and started developing “zingers.” Very acute sharp pain that thankfully only lasts seconds. Unfortunately I am getting them very frequently. I’m told they are normal. Will see my surgeon around 6 weeks post op and hopefully will be feeling much better by then. I wish the same for you too.
 
We share the same surgery date. How are you feeling almost one month out?
All well at the moment. Still having trouble sleeping through the night, hard to find a comfortable position so on average wake at 0200, 0400 and 0600. Take my morning pain meds when I wake then try to sleep through to 0900. Been taking meds every six hours which seems to fit my daily schedule OK. Today will be walking 300yds to the bus stop then twenty minute bus ride to the Hospital for physio appointment. If anything like the last one just a ten minute chat and check extension and flexion. I also see a private physio guy who is very helpful, massage and advice on getting my gait right by concentrating on the heel - toe motion.
Don't know where you are, in the UK the free at point of use National Health Service is very good but basic. I had the op, one night in hospital then the physio nurse checked I could make it to the toilet and climb a short set of steps on crutches and then off home. Two weeks later back to remove wound dressing and any stitches. A month later a short chat with the physio. Two month after op see the surgeon to check all OK, this time it may just be a phone call, after that you are on your own.
i went private in the UK and my experience was the same as yours apart from sealing of the wound with glue rather than stiches but i think that might be more to do with the surgeon rather than NHS versus private. Great to hear that you are doing so well, it gives us all encouragement.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom